Billy Joel to perform at the BB&T Center in Sunrise on Jan. 7, 2014
Music legend Billy Joel announces first South Floridian concert in four years.
Name an award for a musician and Billy Joel has probably won it. The six-time Grammy winner (including the prestigious Grammy Legend Award) has been inducted into both the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and in December will receive The Kennedy Center Honor, reserved for the best of the best.
The Piano Man is also the sixth best-selling artist of all time (at more than 150 million albums and counting), and the third best-selling solo artist, a stunning achievement that makes perfect sense when viewing his songwriting repertoire, much of which you can see him perform live at the BB&T Center in Sunrise on Jan. 7, 2014. It’s the consummate New Yorker’s first South Florida concert since 2009.
And what a show it promises to be. A partial rundown of Joel’s timeless classics reads like a potential playlist for a greatest-hits radio station, or a late-night sing-along at your favorite bar: “Movin’ Out,” “My Life,” “Just the Way You Are,” “Only the Good Die Young,” “New York State of Mind,” “She’s Always a Woman,” “Honesty,” “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant,” “Big Shot,” “You May Be Right,” “It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me,” “The Longest Time,” “Don’t Ask Me Why,” “She’s Got a Way,” “Pressure,” “Allentown,” “This is the Time,” “Keeping the Faith,” “An Innocent Man,” “The River of Dreams” and, of course, “Piano Man.”
Perhaps lost in all the awards, accolades and accomplishments is just what an incredible live performer Joel is. Tireless and fully invested in every show, the former professional boxer belts out his powerful vocals and bangs on his piano – sometimes even with his rear end - like it’s an opponent in the ring, making sure every song is a knockout. By the end of the concert, you’ll be amazed at both the 64-year-old Joel’s stamina and passion for performing.
Tickets (price TBA) go on sale to the general public through Ticketmaster at 10 a.m. Sat., Nov. 2. But American Express card members can buy tickets starting at 10 a.m. Mon., Oct. 28, through 10 p.m. Fri., Nov. 1.
Music in Miami
- Life In Color Early Bird Tickets Are Now On Sale
- Concert Review: Ariana Grande's tour stops in South Florida for an energetic homecoming
- Do Not Sit On the Furniture Kicks Off Independence Day Weekend with Nora En Pure
- Willy Chirino and Carlos Oliva deliver the Miami Sound this Saturday at the Arsht Center
- David Crosby performs songs old and new in Miami
- EC Twins Take Over E11EVEN for Cam Con's Official After Party
- 2015 Summer Music Concert Guide for Miami and South Florida
- Space Welcomes Queen of Techno Nicole Moudaber on Saturday, June 6
- Best of the Best Music Fest brings dancehall, soca and reggae to Miami
- Rec Room Turns Up with DJ Craze Friday, May 15