Bhakti Baxter - visual artist
“Success is finding a way to consistently do what you love while providing some sort of service.”
What is your take on Miami as a place to hone one’s craft?
Miami has space, room to experiment, and most of all it’s a place to enjoy the outdoors while living in a city where art can be made and relationships between people strengthened.
Where do you draw inspiration from?
Everything. Seriously. Inter-connectivity is a major subject driving my investigations.
What mediums do you work in?
Mediums in my sculptural practice are currently arrived at through process and experimentation vs. conception/execution strategies. It’s interesting to me how things make their way into a piece, be it a found or rearranged material that has been altered in some way. Quotidian objects such as furniture or mangled metal on the street can take on new dimensions and meanings and become more than their originally intended purpose when x object was manufactured.
Which is your favorite medium?
What painters or artists excite you?
John McAllister and Allison Shulnik are two contemporary painters I enjoy, but I’m more into the color play a Josef Albers’ homage to the square paintings or the movement in one of Cezanne’s landscapes.
What is your definition of success?
Success is finding a way to consistently do what you love while providing some sort of service.
Where do you drink?
Lesters or Mamushkas
What do you do on Sundays?
What do most people assume about you that is wrong?
That I don’t speak Spanish
If you could choose another profession or career, what would it be?
In the past five years, what is a positive change you’ve seen around town?
I admire the cyclists that have grown in number and taken over certain routes of our streets.
Is there anything you would like to say?
Every chance we have to go to a gallery, studio, or museum, it can be an opportunity (thanks to the hard working artist) to reflect upon things as a species. Art can be a chance to find meaning. Art has the power to engage and compel one another to consider or propose an alternative to formulaic, market driven use of images.
See and Do
- 6 ways to tap into the Miami-London love affair
- Ayikodans offers a prayer in the form of dance for its sixth season at the Arsht Center
- 7 best bets for live music this weekend
- 'Peppa Pig’ makes a splash with live shows in South Florida
- A 'Sound of Music’ that hits many of the right notes
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 9 features you won’t want to miss
- DWNTWN Art Days 2015 this weekend
- Schmooze Over Miami teaches history through a theatrical pub crawl
- PAMM Third Thursdays: Poplife Social featuring Million Young
- Russian pianist plays Wynwood on Friday