Beyond the beer: Bistro BE spotlights Belgian food
New Brickell restaurant delivers both traditional and modern Belgian dishes.
The who: Belgian restaurateurs Emmanuel Verschueren and Tim Michels have brought a taste of their native land to Brickell with Bistro BE. Executive chef Frederik Appelt runs the open kitchen.
The space: The former Box Park space adjacent to the shuttered Hoxton still retains its low-key charm with blonde wood tables, mod white chairs and a long marble bar. Communal tables near the open kitchen are great for larger parties.
The dishes: Traditional and modern takes on Belgian cooking. Prices skew toward the upscale, with starters ranging from $9 to $15 and mains from $15 to $29. The bar stocks 70 brews that are, you guessed it, all Belgian.
Bread spiked with Stella Artois starts off dinner service. Continue with baked wild mushrooms in a buttery garlic sauce or an endive salad drizzled with cherry-beer syrup. Even the mac and cheese gets a Belgian beer nod with Chimay Trappist cheese.
Mussel pots — there are seven to choose from — come in a base of beer or wine and are served with golden, Belgian-style frites. Traditional dishes include rabbit stew with prunes, served with potato croquettes, and sautéed duck with cherry-beer sauce.
For dessert, expect Belgian waffles topped with whipped cream, Belgian chocolate mousse, and Dutch pancakes with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream.
The Bottom Line: Buckets of moules and a hefty beer list make this stylish Belgian boîte a new Brickell standout.
- Stripsteak at the Fontainebleau is the latest in Michael Mina's South Florida mini-empire
- Tamarina puts coastal Italian flavors in downtown Miami
- Ceviche 105 off to a fresh start in South Beach
- Modern Italian bistro Moye opens in Brickell
- Babylon opens gateway to Turkish cuisine in South Beach
- Ironside Pizza is slinging Neapolitan pies in Miami
- Seven Dials gives classic British pub fare a Miami makeover
- Morimoto rolls up to South Beach in style
- Finka fuses Cuban, Korean and Peruvian food in west Miami
- Vintro Kitchen emphasizes seafood in Miami Beach boutique hotel