Beyond the beer: Bistro BE spotlights Belgian food
New Brickell restaurant delivers both traditional and modern Belgian dishes.
The who: Belgian restaurateurs Emmanuel Verschueren and Tim Michels have brought a taste of their native land to Brickell with Bistro BE. Executive chef Frederik Appelt runs the open kitchen.
The space: The former Box Park space adjacent to the shuttered Hoxton still retains its low-key charm with blonde wood tables, mod white chairs and a long marble bar. Communal tables near the open kitchen are great for larger parties.
The dishes: Traditional and modern takes on Belgian cooking. Prices skew toward the upscale, with starters ranging from $9 to $15 and mains from $15 to $29. The bar stocks 70 brews that are, you guessed it, all Belgian.
Bread spiked with Stella Artois starts off dinner service. Continue with baked wild mushrooms in a buttery garlic sauce or an endive salad drizzled with cherry-beer syrup. Even the mac and cheese gets a Belgian beer nod with Chimay Trappist cheese.
Mussel pots — there are seven to choose from — come in a base of beer or wine and are served with golden, Belgian-style frites. Traditional dishes include rabbit stew with prunes, served with potato croquettes, and sautéed duck with cherry-beer sauce.
For dessert, expect Belgian waffles topped with whipped cream, Belgian chocolate mousse, and Dutch pancakes with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream.
The Bottom Line: Buckets of moules and a hefty beer list make this stylish Belgian boîte a new Brickell standout.
- Fancy Asian tapas and umami cocktails beckon at Kuro
- Get your frites on: Bistro Cassis opens in midtown Miami
- Take a swim with Soho Bay's fresh fish dishes
- Coral Gables gets buzzy over new Spanish restaurant Piripi
- Icy-cool crudo and rocket-hot rocks at Modern Garden in Miami
- New-look STK in Miami Beach is off to a sexy, meaty start
- Zuma's sibling Coya swaggers into Brickell
- Fooq's is dishing out a global bouquet of food in downtown Miami
- Bagatelle brings its rowdy French party to South Beach
- Spanish team goes for high-end Mediterranean food at Klima in Miami Beach