Betsey Johnson unveils new swimwear at the Betsy Hotel on Miami Beach
The high-voltage quirky styles mirror their delightfully eccentric designer
Well before the music played, before the first cocktail was served, before the first model stepped onto the rooftop, delightfully eccentric designer Betsey Johnson was in a lower hotel-room-turned-backstage-dressing-salon prepping the models for the Saturday evening show.
"The most important thing is I want you to have fun!'' she implored as she personally planted beauty marks on the faces of each of the models. ''This swim collection is all about fun.''
The Spring/Summer 2014 swim line, meant to capture Johnson's legendary high-voltage quirk, is a whimsical collection of bows, peblums, mesh, ruffles and embellishments, built around the nautical, retro and glam rock themes. The looks were made all the more interesting with Johnson's personal styling: no small amount of baubles, wigs from the rainbow, knee socks, rose buds and licorice sticks (yes, you read that correctly).
A crowd favorite: a black one-piece called Betsey Meets Friend, featuring an iconic image of Marilyn Monroe. Even Johnson wore it to the presentation, paired with jean shorts, yellow flip flops, and a drawerful of her trademark necklaces.
Rather than a runway show, Johnson unveiled the line at a launch party at the Betsy Hotel rooftop (meet Betsey at the Betsy), an event celebrating her new partnership with swimwear manufacturer Malibu Design Group.
"My swim is for the young and the forever young! It's fun and flirty and a little bit rock and roll,'' she said. "I want my girls to feel good in my suits so it's also all about the fit.''
- Serpentine Style: Meet Python Handbag Designer Ximena Kavalekas
- 14 Street Style Looks at Miami Fashion Week that Show What’s Trending in the Magic City
- H&M Launches Coachella Collection
- 7 things you didn't know about designer Rachel Roy & her first book, "Design Your Life"
- 6 Spring 2016 Trends You Need To Try Now
- Like Father, Like Son: Le Club Swimwear
- Dadeland Mall Announces New Stores and Store Expansions
- Designer Corinna Saias Mixes Ancient Greece with South Beach
- Nordstrom Rack to Open in Midtown
- H&M Opening Another South Florida Store