Behind the Bar: Ashley Danella
This self-proclaimed homebody knows how to mix it up behind the bar at Burger & Beer on Miami Beach.
Hometown: Boca Raton
Years Bartending: 7
Works at: Burger & Beer Joint, 1766 Bay Road, Miami Beach; 305-672-3287
For Miami Beach bartender Ashley Danella, her love for the beach and its vibrant nightlife made her trek to the Magic City from a childhood spent growing up in Boca Raton. An avid fitness lover and self-proclaimed homebody, it’s usually behind the bar at Burger & Beer Joint in Miami Beach where many see her shine as she flashes a gleaming smile and mixes up their favorite concoction.
Danella took the time to chat with us about her love of mixology and what makes for a very unique signature shot.
Has anything unusual happened to you while bartending?
Working in South Beach, I always serve athletes and celebrities, and my friends that come in are pretty wild on a regular basis. There have been food fights, a little bit of exhibitionism, and one night involving an inflatable farm animal... but what happens at B&B, stays at B&B! What most people consider unusual is a nightly occurrence at my bar.
Do you have a signature drink?
I wouldn't quite call it a "signature drink", but there is a drink, shot rather, that I am known for. It's called a "Recycled Shot". I pour a shot of Jameson into a shot glass, take it into my mouth, swish it around and spit it back into the glass. The customer then takes the shot and on request I proceed to give them a nice slap in the face! Sounds pretty ridiculous, and gross, I know. It all started out as a joke with a few regulars and just sort of grew from there.
Tell me something people don't know about you.
As loud and crazy as I may seem behind the bar, I am actually super mellow outside of work. I'm a homebody, I love to stay in and watch movies, bake, and cook dinner for my friends.
What do you love about the Miami nightlife?
There really is something for everybody. And somewhere to go at almost any hour.
What’s your favorite thing about bartending?
It's my outlet. It gives me a chance to play, entertain, and let my alter ego run rampant. It's also a great way to meet lots of really awesome people.
From the book of Barguments - True or False: 40 is too old to do a shot of Jagermeister at a bar. Why or why not?
You're NEVER too old to do a shot of Jager! It's always an experience one needs to have.
- Craft Beer of the Week: Adelbert's Naked Nun
- Tobacco Road opens 'The Cocktail Collection' to recreate the space's speakeasy vibe from Prohibition
- Drink like an Irish whiskey master this St. Patrick's Day
- Tonight: 'Bourbon & Beats' at Radio Bar in South Beach with hard-to-find Pappy Van Winkle 15-year
- Open in Wynwood: a craft beer bar called KUSH
- Miami native Blake Lee to appear in ABC's new sitcom ‘Mixology’
- Jim Meehan guest bartends and Julio Bermejo talks tequila at The Broken Shaker during South Beach Wine & Food Festival week in Miami Beach
- A must-try cocktail at the new Cavalli Miami Restaurant & Lounge in South Beach
- Wynwood Brewing Company Takes Over Public House in South Beach for South Florida Craft Beer Week
- Funky Buddha Brewery hosts day-long beer fest