Great Grove Bed Race
Beds on wheels? That's right. Come watch as participants ride a mattress to the finish line on Sunday, Sept. 6.
By Solange Reyner
Beds on wheels?
That's right. Come watch as participants ride a mattress to the finish line in Coconut Grove's "Great Grove Bed Race" on Sunday, September 6.
The event, which starts at 1 p.m., is rebounding from a six-year hiatus with a bang: three-time Indy 500 Champion and ABCs "Dancing With the Stars" winner Helio Castroneves will be on site as the Grand Marshal.
The 1/8th mile race, which involves rolling beds down two village streets, starts at McDonalds on Grand Avenue and ends by Matilda.
Teams consist of five members, four races and one rider. All race until the fastest eight beds are determined. Those eight finalists go head-to-head in a race for first place.
Prizes are awarded for theme, creativity and decor, and funds raised will benefit the University of Miami Sleep Program and the Alonzo Mourning Charities.
There's also a jammie party on Saturday night. Dress up in your pajamas, pay $20 and join others in the "Pajama Pub Crawl," which starts at 7 p.m. at Fat Tuesdays in Coconut Grove. Registration starts at 6 p.m. for the crawl, which will take participants through nine different locations. You'll receive a passport filled with nine different drink coupons (one for each pub) and a free beer.
There will also be a coupon for a free espresso or coffee at "The Bookstore" for the designated driver. You can pre-register by sending an RSVP email with name, number in your party and phone number to email@example.com.
For more info, visit www.thegreatgrovebedrace.com
See and Do
- 10 things not to miss this week: Art, Marvel comics & freebie fun
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 25-27
- Absorbing and exquisitely acted, GableStage’s ‘The Whale’ is a study in connection
- ‘H2OMBRE’ brings splashy spectacle and lots of water to the Arsht Center stage
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13
- Colombian mangoes will be the star at this weekend’s Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden