Beauty bar owners bring the glamour of Hollywood to Miami Gardens
Two young entrepreneurs bring the beauty bar experience to Miami Gardens with Hollywood X
When 26-year-old Rashonda Perry met 30-year-old Latoya Parker, the two ladies felt they could literally do beautiful business together. So they combined Perry’s knack for business and Parker’s gift for glamour to open Hollywood X The Beauty Bar "Where Everyone’s A Star.”
The full service salon specializes in hair, nails, make-up, waxing, Xtreme Lashes, and virgin hair extensions. Boasting a lovely pink and black décor complete with comfortable manicure and pedicure stations, the salon was custom designed to give clients the ultimate styling experience.
Located at 180 NW 183rd Street in Miami Gardens, the salon opened in May. Perry and Parker said they strategically chose their location so clients wouldn’t always have to drive to places like South Beach to have a luxury styling experience.
“This is a new business for us, and we felt like Miami Gardens was up and coming,” Perry said. “Why should someone commute all the way to South Beach when we can have something beautiful right here in Miami Gardens?”
Perry and Parker come from different backgrounds and have overcome a lot to become business owners. Perry was born and raised in St. Louis, is one of eight siblings, and is also a single mother. She left a career making close to six-figures annually in Verizon’s business sales department to start Hollywood X.
Parker was born in Miami but raised between New Jersey and Virginia due to her father being in the military. She has one brother and has been doing hair and nails since she was 15. She left a position as a stylist at an Asian salon to start Hollywood X.
Both women have an immense amount of respect for one another and believe their differences make them stronger.
“She makes up for where I lack. She went to school for business and that’s not my forte. Hair and nails is what I’m passionate about - its what I do. She helps me learn because there’s a lot you have to be knowledgeable about when running a business, and it’s not easy,” Parker said. “It’s a process and a journey and she definitely helps me in that aspect. I couldn’t ask for a better business partner.”
Perry echoed her partner’s sentiments. “Latoya is really good at what she does. I wanted to partner with her because she is multi-talented and she actually motivated me to want to get into the beauty business because of her talent,” Perry said.
Why choose Hollywood X over the competition? Perry and Parker say they live off referrals because in addition to being reasonably priced, employing skilled artists and having a luxury décor, they are wholly committed to putting customers first.
“When I first moved to Miami, I found the service was not the greatest. I went to places and felt like people were really just there to make money,” Perry revealed. “Personally I wanted to separate myself from other businesses by putting customers first.”
Their advice for young girls who want to follow in their footsteps and become entrepreneurs: dream big, work hard, and never give up despite obstacles. “If you have a dream, follow it. Be dedicated, be consistent, work hard and have a passion for what you want to do,’ Perry advised.
“Educate yourself on whatever you’re trying to do...be passionate about it and take pride in all that you do. Work hard, believe in yourself and believe you can overcome and do anything,” Parker added.
For more information on Hollywood X, call (305) 240-5018, like them on Facebook or visit HollywoodXmiami.com.
- Miami Soul Going Out Guide: Our Family Dinner, The Color Purple stage play, Redman & Talib Kweli live, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Women's Innovation Brunch, Carib Film Fest, Delta Sigma Theta Red Shoe Luncheon, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Ankara Miami African Fashion Week, Alvin Ailey Dance Theater, Big Night in Little Haiti, and more
- Techies, Innovators Converge in Miami for Black Tech Week February 23 - 28
- Miami Soul weekend guide: 9 Mile Music Festival, Jazz & Love Concert, Purvis Young Opening Reception, and more
- Miami Soul: Black History Month 2015 Celebrations around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Super Bowl weekend fun
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Black Coffee Africa Party, Miami Soul Sessions, Mellow Dramatic Mondays, and more
- Miami Soul Travel Series: Island Hopping in the Amazing Greece
- Miami Soul: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. service events and celebrations around South Florida