Beard and Mustache competition takes over Tobacco Road
Plenty of non-holiday themed events this weekend in Miami
Facial hair has never been as celebrated, ironic or hip as it has been these past few years and to commemorate the scruff is The 2nd Annual Beard & Mustache Competition from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29 at Tobacco Road (626 South Miami Ave., Miami,) presented by, we jest not, the Brotherhood of Mustaches & Beards (BOMB), a " brotherhood for dudes who rock beards, staches, goats, burns, and even soul patches." Witness the most impressive stash of 'staches and beards, not to mention music by Los Bastardos Magnificos, Koffin Varnish, Coon Doggin Outlaws, DJ Haitian Hillbilly and more. Admission is $10 and contest entry is $20. All proceeds will be donated to AMI Kids. An organization that takes in troubled youth and teaches them boating and sailing skills, all while earning them their high school diplomas.
It's a full moon on Friday, Dec. 28, and celebrating the good lighting is Villa 221, 221 NE 17th St., whose Downtown Full Moon Party promises to have you howling, if not to the music, to the fact that there's free admission before 10 p.m. and free admission before midnight for all drummers, musicians and performers with "proper equipment and gear." This, however, is all at the "discretion of the door staff." Either way, there will be featured performances by Xperimento, Rumbos Y Tanteos, Warp9, and spinning by Umber Bandi-ville. Live art, guest drummers., fire performances, and a full blown, full moon ceremony aren't the only distractions. Attendees are encouraged to bring hula hoops and or their own drums.
So you couldn't get to St. Barth this season. That's ok. Caribbean Breeze Sundays at The Stage (170 NE 38th St., Miami) will transport you aurally to an island paradise without the tiny planes and overflow of photo op seeking Real Housewives. Starting at 10 p.m. Sunday, December 30, Miami's Reggae Don will perform along with DJ Greg of Runway Cafe, the Lalibela band and special performances by The Resolvers. For more information go to www.thestagemiami.com.
Raising the Roof
Promoter Scott Hauser is celebrating the season's good tidings and cocktails with a party at 10 p.m. Friday, December 28 on the roof of the Townhouse Hotel (150 20th St., Miami Beach). The gay and gay friendly party has no cover and, says Hauser, "no lines to wait in and everyone is welcome."
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach