Beard and Mustache competition takes over Tobacco Road
Plenty of non-holiday themed events this weekend in Miami
Facial hair has never been as celebrated, ironic or hip as it has been these past few years and to commemorate the scruff is The 2nd Annual Beard & Mustache Competition from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29 at Tobacco Road (626 South Miami Ave., Miami,) presented by, we jest not, the Brotherhood of Mustaches & Beards (BOMB), a " brotherhood for dudes who rock beards, staches, goats, burns, and even soul patches." Witness the most impressive stash of 'staches and beards, not to mention music by Los Bastardos Magnificos, Koffin Varnish, Coon Doggin Outlaws, DJ Haitian Hillbilly and more. Admission is $10 and contest entry is $20. All proceeds will be donated to AMI Kids. An organization that takes in troubled youth and teaches them boating and sailing skills, all while earning them their high school diplomas.
It's a full moon on Friday, Dec. 28, and celebrating the good lighting is Villa 221, 221 NE 17th St., whose Downtown Full Moon Party promises to have you howling, if not to the music, to the fact that there's free admission before 10 p.m. and free admission before midnight for all drummers, musicians and performers with "proper equipment and gear." This, however, is all at the "discretion of the door staff." Either way, there will be featured performances by Xperimento, Rumbos Y Tanteos, Warp9, and spinning by Umber Bandi-ville. Live art, guest drummers., fire performances, and a full blown, full moon ceremony aren't the only distractions. Attendees are encouraged to bring hula hoops and or their own drums.
So you couldn't get to St. Barth this season. That's ok. Caribbean Breeze Sundays at The Stage (170 NE 38th St., Miami) will transport you aurally to an island paradise without the tiny planes and overflow of photo op seeking Real Housewives. Starting at 10 p.m. Sunday, December 30, Miami's Reggae Don will perform along with DJ Greg of Runway Cafe, the Lalibela band and special performances by The Resolvers. For more information go to www.thestagemiami.com.
Raising the Roof
Promoter Scott Hauser is celebrating the season's good tidings and cocktails with a party at 10 p.m. Friday, December 28 on the roof of the Townhouse Hotel (150 20th St., Miami Beach). The gay and gay friendly party has no cover and, says Hauser, "no lines to wait in and everyone is welcome."
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale
- Velvet Underground: Cheers to craft beers with Wynwood Brewing Company, DASH presents the Phantom Film Festival at NWS, hunt for hidden art, and yoga at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Join Borgore's Unicorn Zombie Apocolypse at Mansion, sip rum and dance to live jazz in Little Havana, show your support for the Everglades, and brunch at the Mondrian
- Velvet Underground: Rapper J. Cole at Adoré Nightclub, listen to DJ Diamond D's new album at The Stage, show off your brushstrokes at a naked painting party in Wynwood, and party like an animal at Jungle Island