Beard and Mustache competition takes over Tobacco Road
Plenty of non-holiday themed events this weekend in Miami
Facial hair has never been as celebrated, ironic or hip as it has been these past few years and to commemorate the scruff is The 2nd Annual Beard & Mustache Competition from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29 at Tobacco Road (626 South Miami Ave., Miami,) presented by, we jest not, the Brotherhood of Mustaches & Beards (BOMB), a " brotherhood for dudes who rock beards, staches, goats, burns, and even soul patches." Witness the most impressive stash of 'staches and beards, not to mention music by Los Bastardos Magnificos, Koffin Varnish, Coon Doggin Outlaws, DJ Haitian Hillbilly and more. Admission is $10 and contest entry is $20. All proceeds will be donated to AMI Kids. An organization that takes in troubled youth and teaches them boating and sailing skills, all while earning them their high school diplomas.
It's a full moon on Friday, Dec. 28, and celebrating the good lighting is Villa 221, 221 NE 17th St., whose Downtown Full Moon Party promises to have you howling, if not to the music, to the fact that there's free admission before 10 p.m. and free admission before midnight for all drummers, musicians and performers with "proper equipment and gear." This, however, is all at the "discretion of the door staff." Either way, there will be featured performances by Xperimento, Rumbos Y Tanteos, Warp9, and spinning by Umber Bandi-ville. Live art, guest drummers., fire performances, and a full blown, full moon ceremony aren't the only distractions. Attendees are encouraged to bring hula hoops and or their own drums.
So you couldn't get to St. Barth this season. That's ok. Caribbean Breeze Sundays at The Stage (170 NE 38th St., Miami) will transport you aurally to an island paradise without the tiny planes and overflow of photo op seeking Real Housewives. Starting at 10 p.m. Sunday, December 30, Miami's Reggae Don will perform along with DJ Greg of Runway Cafe, the Lalibela band and special performances by The Resolvers. For more information go to www.thestagemiami.com.
Raising the Roof
Promoter Scott Hauser is celebrating the season's good tidings and cocktails with a party at 10 p.m. Friday, December 28 on the roof of the Townhouse Hotel (150 20th St., Miami Beach). The gay and gay friendly party has no cover and, says Hauser, "no lines to wait in and everyone is welcome."
- Abundant bubbly, a masquerade and Wynwood Radio
- Laugh with Jon Lovitz, dine like a Southerner and have a night at the Coral Gables Museum
- Absolut pool party, Wine Down Wednesdays and Canine Culture
- A Night with Non-Profits, Sweatstock and Dick Dale in Miami
- Classy dinner parties, boozy poetry readings and a gala for the kids
- Late Night menu at Blue Collar, DJ Chino in the 954 and 'Girl Rising'
- Veuve is pouring at Sony Open, SET gets a facelift, and Radio Pop-up Bar serves drinks until August
- Some Irish drinks, some DJ beats and a touch of philanthropy fills the weekend in Miami
- Springtime Octoberfest, Hearts & Stars Gala and Shore Thing pool party
- Film Festival Foodie options, Keith Haring Miami and Sake to Me