Beach and Polo mix well
Led by famed mixologist Nick Mautone, the recent polo matches on Miami Beach left a great taste for patrons.
This weekend, things were a little animalistic on the sands of South Beach. We spotted several equestrian lovers horsing around during the Miami Beach Polo festivities.
The weather couldn't have been more perfect on the bright and cloudless Sunday (April 25) when fans gathered to watch the closing games inside the Grey Goose and Bombay Sapphire VIP mixology tent.
Although most people were there to watch the sporting event, a few partygoers preferred to listen to dance music spun by the DJs and sip on cocktails whipped up by New York famed mixologist and author Nick Mautone.
We got a chance to sip on some of Mautone's drinks that he created just for the horse-friendly event. His most savory concoctions were the Grey Goose La Poire vodka peartini (vodka, simple syrup, lemon juice and a thinly sliced pear for garnish) and a spatini (which included cucumber, sugar, fresh mint, lemon juice, basil and Grey Goose Le Citron).
Creating the perfect drink isn't easy. Mautone says perfection takes time.
“I've been working as a mixologist for 30 years now.”
In between pouring drinks, Mautone, who travels to Miami frequently, said he enjoyed watching the matches. “It's a different crowd than New York and much different than the Kentucky Derby.”
That's not surprising. Only at a Miami polo match would you see half-naked girls dancing on top of fixtures in between match rounds. In fact, we spotted a few polo players getting down, too.
See and Do
- 15 things to do with the kids Oct 5-11: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Oct. 2-4
- Miami Events - October 2015
- Wizard World Comic Con takes over the Broward Convention Center
- 15 things to do with the kids Sept 28 - Oct 4: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Ultimate guide to luxury seats at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 25-27
- House of Horrors kicks off this weekend with a concert by Silentó
- Bay Skate rolls back into Bayfront Park with a free skating party
- Broward County celebrates its 100 year anniversary with Neil Goldberg's extravaganza 'WE'