Beach and Polo mix well
Led by famed mixologist Nick Mautone, the recent polo matches on Miami Beach left a great taste for patrons.
This weekend, things were a little animalistic on the sands of South Beach. We spotted several equestrian lovers horsing around during the Miami Beach Polo festivities.
The weather couldn't have been more perfect on the bright and cloudless Sunday (April 25) when fans gathered to watch the closing games inside the Grey Goose and Bombay Sapphire VIP mixology tent.
Although most people were there to watch the sporting event, a few partygoers preferred to listen to dance music spun by the DJs and sip on cocktails whipped up by New York famed mixologist and author Nick Mautone.
We got a chance to sip on some of Mautone's drinks that he created just for the horse-friendly event. His most savory concoctions were the Grey Goose La Poire vodka peartini (vodka, simple syrup, lemon juice and a thinly sliced pear for garnish) and a spatini (which included cucumber, sugar, fresh mint, lemon juice, basil and Grey Goose Le Citron).
Creating the perfect drink isn't easy. Mautone says perfection takes time.
“I've been working as a mixologist for 30 years now.”
In between pouring drinks, Mautone, who travels to Miami frequently, said he enjoyed watching the matches. “It's a different crowd than New York and much different than the Kentucky Derby.”
That's not surprising. Only at a Miami polo match would you see half-naked girls dancing on top of fixtures in between match rounds. In fact, we spotted a few polo players getting down, too.
See and Do
- King Arthur and his knights get goofy in ‘Monty Python’s Spamalot’
- ‘War Horse’ brings its imaginative, moving drama to Miami’s Arsht Center
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Mar. 7-9
- Calle Ocho: 5 Things we are excited about this year
- Daddy Yankee reigns as the King of Calle Ocho
- World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship brings golf and more to Doral
- Fair freebies, 110 years of Dr Seuss, Lego builds & 10 other fun things to do this week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Feb. 28-Mar. 2
- Carnaval on the Mile kicks off a busy month in Miami
- Whoopi Goldberg heads to the Arsht Center for a night of laughs