Basil Park boosts healthy food in Sunny Isles Beach
Tim Andriola's new restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
The who: Restaurateurs Tim Andriola and Rodrigo Martinez of Timo Restaurant (17624 Collins Ave.) have partnered with farmer Tamer Harpke to bring a healthful-eating approach they're calling "intact cuisine" to Sunny Isles Beach.
The space: A complete rebuild of the former Bissaleh Cafe in the same plaza as Timo's gives Basil Park an open, airy feel punctuated by blond woods, a working kitchen and a long bar with comfy stools.
The dishes: Don't come expecting to eat rabbit food. Andriola makes good-for-you food come alive with flavor with clever touches like cashew-based "cream" and a housemade Sriracha (all the heat, none of the sugar and preservatives of the store-bought version) to complement dishes.
Breakfast items like poached eggs in avocado and quinoa pancakes with orange-strawberry compote are $8-$16, while an all-day menu features snacks, soups, salads, plancha- and rotisserie-cooked proteins from $5 to $36. Many of the fresh juices and smoothies ($4-$7) Basil Park whips up behind the bar are named for basil varieties, like the African Blue with coconut water, banana, coconut butter, almonds, blueberries and blackberries.
The bottom line: While vegetarians, vegans, celiac sufferers, raw-food fanatics and other health types will feel right at home here, omnivores won't go hungry at Basil Park.
17608 Collins Ave., Sunny Isles Beach
- Why this iconic South Beach Italian spot changed locations
- South Florida just got another serious steakhouse
- Phuc Yea pops up for good
- This North Miami Beach spot is for laid back Mediterranean-Spanish tapas
- Eat among the art at South Beach's Canvas
- International sushi chain opens first U.S. spot — on South Beach
- Here are four new Miami, Beach restaurants to try this month
- A sleek, new steakhouse for downtown Miami
- Why you should try these restaurants new to Miami Spice
- Traditional Italian, contemporary feel at this spot west of the airport