Basil Park boosts healthy food in Sunny Isles Beach
Tim Andriola's new restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
The who: Restaurateurs Tim Andriola and Rodrigo Martinez of Timo Restaurant (17624 Collins Ave.) have partnered with farmer Tamer Harpke to bring a healthful-eating approach they're calling "intact cuisine" to Sunny Isles Beach.
The space: A complete rebuild of the former Bissaleh Cafe in the same plaza as Timo's gives Basil Park an open, airy feel punctuated by blond woods, a working kitchen and a long bar with comfy stools.
The dishes: Don't come expecting to eat rabbit food. Andriola makes good-for-you food come alive with flavor with clever touches like cashew-based "cream" and a housemade Sriracha (all the heat, none of the sugar and preservatives of the store-bought version) to complement dishes.
Breakfast items like poached eggs in avocado and quinoa pancakes with orange-strawberry compote are $8-$16, while an all-day menu features snacks, soups, salads, plancha- and rotisserie-cooked proteins from $5 to $36. Many of the fresh juices and smoothies ($4-$7) Basil Park whips up behind the bar are named for basil varieties, like the African Blue with coconut water, banana, coconut butter, almonds, blueberries and blackberries.
The bottom line: While vegetarians, vegans, celiac sufferers, raw-food fanatics and other health types will feel right at home here, omnivores won't go hungry at Basil Park.
- Vintro Kitchen emphasizes seafood in Miami Beach boutique hotel
- Temple Kitchen, a shrine to plant-based foods, opens in South Miami
- Old-school Italian meets South Beach chic at new Il Mulino
- Oyster bar classics and more at new Mignonette
- Holy guacamole: Cantina La Veinte pushes upmarket Mexican food in Miami
- Go hungry, like a wolf, to new Loba in Miami
- Beyond the beer: Bistro BE spotlights Belgian food
- New chef, new look for Azul at the Mandarin Oriental Miami
- Porfirio's Restaurant puts upscale Mexican food in South Beach
- Fork and Balls busts out a lotta love for meatballs in Fort Lauderdale