Basel parties rule the weekend
Which ones will you crash?
Party Crashers Unite!
Exclusive parties in Miami may be, oxymoronically speaking, a dime a dozen, but ever heard of a party that encourages crashers sort of? Neither have we. But in a tongue in cheeky way, the Miami Art Museum's exclusive Ball is encouraging people to "Crash the Ball" at 10 p.m. Saturday, December 8. The official MAM Ball after party isn't for freeloaders---tickets are $150 for non-members, $75 for members of the MAM Contemporaries and free for Ball guests. In addition to DJ Tanlines, there will be copious cocktails and a signature dessert bar by Michael's Genuine's pastry chef Hedy Goldsmith. To buy, yes, buy, tickets, go to http://bit.ly/CTB12.
But Wait! There's More
Fancy gala after parties catering to the young and not upwardly mobile enough yet to afford full price gala tickets are the new in thing, clearly, with the aforementioned as well as the Make-A-Wish Ball's after party and now The Party, the official après soiree for The Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center's 20th anniversary gala Saturday, Dec. 8 at the JW Marriott Marquis. The first-time ticket option to attend just "The Party," costs $250 ($100 non-deductible) and includes cocktail reception at 8:30 p.m., performance by two time Tony Award winner Sutton Foster and the after party with DJ Irie. To purchase, go to www.miami.edu/sylvestergala.
Latin music label Fania Records is getting into the Art Basel groove from now through December 8 with its Armada Fania Club & Pop-Up Store at PAX Miami, 337 SW 8th St. and featuring eight top DJs from Miami, Boston and NYC playing original and remixed sounds by the label often referred to as the Motown of Latin music. For more information, go to www.fania.com or www.paxmiami.com.
Showing Who's Boss
Art Basel Miami Beach is an exciting whirlwind of hype, circumstance, interlopers, and oh yes, art. But back to those interlopers. We love them, we do--especially when they pump millions into the economy. But when it comes to showing who's boss, Native Miami is the event from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday, December 7 at the DWNTWN ArtHouse, 122 NE 11th St . The 2nd Annual Off-Basel Celebration of Miami's native art, music and food is presented by an elite group of locals belonging to The Foundry, the patron society of Cannonball, the organization formerly known as LegalArt, and will showcase local bands (Teepee and Deaf Poets), local food (Blue Collar, Josh's Deli) and local arts organizations including the aforementioned Cannonball and Dimensions Variable, TM Sisters and Turn Based Press. Tickets are $20 for non-members and free for Foundry members. To become a member, go to www.legalartmiami.org.
Lobbying for Basel
Yes, yes, you can also inhale the fumes from the party--er, art overload that is Art Basel. Just walk into the lobby of the Delano--they say they will let you in but don't blame us if they don't, at 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday nights and check out modern pop artist and "musical revolutionary" ELEW, who will be offering samples of his own brand of "rockjazz" right next to the Rose Bar.
A Jaaring Night
American-Chilean techno musician Nicolas Jaar, owner and founder of his own record label and art house Clown & Sunset, is performing at Music at Moca, 8:30 p.m. Friday, December 7 at the Mondrian South Beach. As usual, members of MOCA Shakers get in for a nominal $5 while the rest of you can pay $25 for general or $40 for VIP admission, which includes free drinks, balcony access and "sponsor gifts." Jaar, incidentally, will debut his new live format that includes keyboards, synthesizers and vocals. Go to www.mocanomi.org for tickets.
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard
- Discounted drinks & designer duds, Yandel & Gadiel for free, missing matzo, and an ode to Drake
- Bogie, Bacall @ EDITION, Matoma @ LIV, Tax Day @ Mignonette & Blue Collar, plus Jim Camacho & Jellybean
- Piano playing in Wynwood, Macy's parading at Icon, pop culture on the Gale rooftop & Led Zep yoga @ Anatomy at 1220
- Crab racing & beer in Wynwood, art auctions & pig at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
- Exclamatory Miami: Paella! Donuts! (Free) Pommery! (Free) Concerts!
- Hey Mr. DJ, put a record on: It's Miami Music Week! Dress like bananas, feel the bass, boogie & brunch
- Diplo does LIV, Fadó Irish Pub goes green, Hearts & Stars at Nautilus & Bond Lounge's Black Circus
- #SOBEWFF for the rest, day clubbing, drag queens, dinner & a show & rock 'n' roll!
- Night at the Museum, spa happy hours, day drinking, Wynwood Yarding & Erick Morillo