Ballroom Dance Classes
The popularity of ABC’s Dancing With the Stars and similar shows has led to a rebirth of ballroom dancing.
Turns out B-list actors like Kirstie Alley and Super Bowl champions like Hines Ward aren’t the only beneficiaries of Dancing With the Stars’ mighty weekly audience of 20 million-plus.
The TV competition show, which just completed its top-rated 12th season, has done for ballroom dancing what Saturday Night Fever once did for disco.
Here are some local places for Miami residents to learn how to shimmy, quick step and foxtrot like the pros.
Arthur Murray franchises at 2916 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, 305-444-6136, www.arthurmurrayinmiami.com; and 1060 Brickell Ave., Miami, 305-372-1170, www.miamigoesballroom.com, offer one free sample lesson, group and class instruction in salsa, tango, waltz, rumba, cha cha, fox trot and swing. Hours 1:30-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, Saturdays by appointment. Call for schedule and fees.
Best of Times Ballroom Dance Studio, 6255 SW Eighth St., Miami; 786-271-3377, offers group and private instruction in Argentine tango, salsa, Latin, swing and social dance, 7:30-11:30 p.m. Sunday Ballroom Dance Party. Group class, $15, first group class free, 10 percent discount for high school and college students, Sunday party, $12. Call for schedule.
Dance Town, 11355 NW 34th St., Doral, 305-468-8668, offers instruction in competitive and professional dancing for children and adults. Private lessons, $600 for 10 classes; group classes, $125 monthly. Call for schedule.
Fred Astaire Dance Studio, 4008 Aurora St., Coral Gables, 305-443-0085, www.fredastairecoralgables.com opens June 20 and offers private and group instruction, three lessons for $33.
Miami Ballroom Dance Club at the University of Miami in Coral Gables resumes in late August. Visit www.miamiballroom.webs.com for details.
See and Do
- YoungArts kicks off Outside the Box series with a show by musician Dave Eggar
- Carbonell winners take the stage at South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center
- Pumpkin patches, parties and trick-or-treating: Munchkin Fun's 2014 Halloween Guide
- MIFFecito: A Shot of Cinema
- Grovetoberfest brings craft beer to Miami's masses
- Playwright Vanessa Garcia tackles identity in exile in her new play 'The Cuban Spring'
- Two generations of Latin music-makers gather in Miami for Red Bull Siempre Fresco
- Trick or treating, holiday crafts & The Lego Movie: Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Casino Night event in Coral Gables benefits at-risk children
- The Beatles arrive at HistoryMiami