Ballet For Young People
Miami City Ballet puts on a show that the kids will love.
Ballet for Young People
February 12 at 2 p.m. Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Ziff Ballet Opera House, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami.
All tickets are complimentary and available in person Monday-Friday (10 a.m.-5 p.m.) at Miami City Ballet Studios, 2200 Liberty Ave., Miami Beach. For information, visit www.miamicityballet.org.
Inspire your little ones to be prima ballerinas at the Miami City Ballet's free Ballet for Young People show, where the company performs pieces from its impressive repertoire in a kid-friendly way. The audience will also get to enjoy a show by students from the Miami City Ballet.
The program will open with the school students performing Harlequin and Columbine, based on George Balanchine's Harlequinade followed by the company dancers in Balanchine's Scotch Symphony.
Harlequin and Columbine is a fun dance infused with the slapstick, mimicry and humor of the tradition of Italian commedia dell'arte. Balanchine's Scotch Symphony, with its lovely allusions to Romantic ballet, tells the story of James, a restless young man from the Scottish Highlands who is entranced on his wedding day by a Sylph - a magical creature visible only to him.
The kids will enjoy the colorful costumes created by famed designer Karinska as well as the beautiful music by Felix Mendelsson and Riccardo Drigo.
Ballet for Young People, February 12 at 2 p.m. Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Ziff Ballet Opera House, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. All tickets are complimentary and available in person Monday-Friday (10 a.m.-5 p.m.) at Miami City Ballet Studios, 2200 Liberty Ave., Miami Beach. For information, visit www.miamicityballet.org.
See and Do
- YoungArts kicks off Outside the Box series with a show by musician Dave Eggar
- Carbonell winners take the stage at South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center
- Pumpkin patches, parties and trick-or-treating: Munchkin Fun's 2014 Halloween Guide
- MIFFecito: A Shot of Cinema
- Grovetoberfest brings craft beer to Miami's masses
- Playwright Vanessa Garcia tackles identity in exile in her new play 'The Cuban Spring'
- Two generations of Latin music-makers gather in Miami for Red Bull Siempre Fresco
- Trick or treating, holiday crafts & The Lego Movie: Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Casino Night event in Coral Gables benefits at-risk children
- The Beatles arrive at HistoryMiami