Auf Wiedersehen, Gordon Biersch! Brickell's longstanding brewery reportedly turning into CVS
One door closes, a few others open
Long before craft beer was as ubiquitous as bacon at a gastropub, there was Gordon Biersch on Brickell, a California-based chainery that served house-brewed beer and bar fare. In fact, Gordon Biersch was on Brickell long before most restaurants and bars were. Now, allegedly, it's leaving, closing on November 1 and turning into a--gasp--CVS. Yikes, does that mean Morton's is turning into a Walgreen's? We contacted reps for the beer chain and have yet to hear back.
Update! Here is the official statement from Gordon Biersch:
Gordon Biersch is closing its Brickell Avenue location in Miami as of November 1st due to adverse economic conditions at that location. Gordon Biersch will continue its focus on well-crafted beer and food at its remaining 34 locations across the US. Gordon Biersch has offered some of the team members of Gordon Biersch Miami opportunities with our other restaurants across the country and the remainder of our team members will receive company support through severance and our employee assistance program.
Speaking of beer and gastropubs, Brickell's much anticipated Batch Gastropub, which created a bit of controversy when the owners gave an interview to the New Times in which they sorta slammed Miami's service, food and cocktail scenes. Those comments, according to owner Kevin Danilo were taken out of content. At any rate, Batch is ready to prove itself when it opens in November in the Hampton Inn & Suites (!), 30 SW 12th St.
And in opening news, NYC-based Brother Jimmy's BBQ is adding to its Brickell location with two more opening in November--one at 5701 Sunset Dr. in South Miami and the other at the Dolphin Mall in the space formerly known as Taverna Opa.
- Golden Fig farmhouse restaurant opening late summer in ex OTC space
- Pierre's, Morada Beach Cafe off the market with new executive chef, Ishmael Toro
- Dinner at La Savina at Mondrian out; Brooklyn's Momo Sushi Shack 'pop-up' in
- Ted's at YoungArts closed
- LGBT Night at Dos Caminos
- OTC closes in Brickell after 3-year run
- Morimoto South Beach introduces weekend brunch
- Ex District chef, James Beard nominee Horacio Rivadero appointed executive chef at Tantalize
- More tacos on the way: Wapo Taco opening in Coral Gables
- DB Bistro Moderne Miami goes casual for the summer