Art Deco Weekend 2011
Celebrate the Art Deco period and all of its artistic manifestations at Art Deco Weekend 2011.
If you love all things Art Deco, this weekend South Beach celebrates its annual Art Deco Weekend featuring a full line up of lectures, tours, exhibits, films that will culminate in a parade and a vintage car show.
This year's theme is Selling Glamour & Style and the three lectures this year will highlight the influences of the Art Deco era on the modern marketing machine. Visitors have 43 different tours to choose from this year; the "Ocean Drive and Beyond Tour" as well as specialized tours like the Gay & Lesbian Tour, Cocktails with a Twist Tour, Underworld Tour and many more.
The Art Deco Weekend Ocean Drive Parade will take place on Saturday at 11 a.m. withGrand Marshal Elaine Lancaster, who later emcee the Art Deco Fashion Show, featuring a showcase of couture gowns designed by students from Miami Univiersity of Art and Design, who drew their inspiration from Miami Beach's Art Deco hotels. Even pooches are invited to participate in the parade; The Arf Deco Dog Parade will join along with the main Art Deco Parade. Dog participants and their owners are encouraged to dress in their most glamourous costumes.
For information on Art Deco Weekend or to view the complete schedule of activities, visit www.artdecoweekend.com or call 305-672-2014.
Films (screenings at Art Deco Welcome Center)
Friday, Jan. 14
The Easiest Way, 2 p.m.
It Should Happen to You, 4 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 16
Lover Come Back, 2 p.m.
The Ad & The Ego, 4 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 15
1 p.m. Miami as Cultural Intersection with Mark T. Smith
3 p.m. Tropical Art Deco's Influence on the 1939 World's Fair
Saturday, Jan. 16
1 p.m. Selling Art Deco Preservation
Art Deco Weekend Drive Parade
Saturday at 11 a.m. on Ocean Dr. between 5th St. and 16th St.
Art Deco Couture Fashion Show (Art Deco Welcome Center)
Saturday, Jan. 15 at 4 p.m.
See and Do
- 16 Culture Events in Miami to Keep You Socially Fit May 1 - 15
- 7 events in Miami for the budget-conscious - April 29-May 1
- 11 events not to miss in Miami in May 2016
- 11 free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - April 22-24
- What if 'Game of Thrones' were recast with famous Floridians?
- 7 things to do with your kids in the Florida Keys
- 5 Reasons to go to Wynwood Life
- Brickell City Centre Brings Farmers Market to Brickell
- 6 free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - April 15-17
- Country music and ocean conservation converge at Tortuga Music Festival