Art Basel 09: Music
Get in tune with these live musical performances during Art Basel weekend.
In Miami you can't have art without a party, and what's a party without music? Although Art Basel is mostly for the eyes, there are a number of worthwhile pop music events built around the fair.
• 9 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 2 at the Oceanfront venue (at Collins Park, between 21st and 22nd streets on the Miami Beach): This year's free Art Basel kick-off concert features wildly costumed ``jungle punk'' British singer and actor Ebony Bones, who first created a radio and media sensation two years ago with her self-produced music, made with beer bottles and cookware, and video depicting an Orwellian Britain.
• 7 p.m., Thursday Dec. 3, Pulse Art Fair, The Ice Palace, 1400 N. Miami Ave., Miami: Breakout Brooklyn indie-pop babes The Vivian Girls mix 60's girl-group sounds with punk for gritty fun pop.
• 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 3, Terri and Donna Gallery, 153 NW 36th St., Miami: This local gallery and University of Miami radio station WVUM present Georgia based electronic band Washed Out. $10 at terrianddonna.com or $12 at the door.
• 8 and 11 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 3 through Saturday, Dec. 5, Nikki Beach Club, 1 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach: Cuban diva Cucu Diamantes is the headliner for the Miami premiere of The Box, Manhattan's provocative new vaudeville cabaret. $100, 786-515-1159 or nikkibeachmiamievents.com.
• 9 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 3, poolside at the Delano Hotel, 1685 Collins Ave., Miami Beach: Giant Step presents Chicago dance music artist and rapper Kid Sister, with Miami DJ Induce. Free with RSVP to giantstep.net/svedka5; space is limited.
• 5 p.m., Friday Dec. 4, Pulse Art Fair: Exene Cervenka, legendary former screamer-songstress-punk diva of seminal L.A. punk band X, performs much mellower spoken word and music from Somewhere Gone, her first solo album since 1991.
• 10 p.m., Friday, Dec. 4, WET at W South Beach, 2201 Collins Ave., Miami Beach: The Sex Pistol’s Glen Matlock performs live poolside along with Jesse Yusef Murphy featuring symphony Hykast Studios. For ticket information RSVP@WallMiami.com or 305-398-3131.
• 6 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 5, Pulse Art Fair: The Blow, aka pop musician/artist/performer Khaela Maricich blends over the top operatic performance with pop music.
• 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 5, Fountain Art Fair, 2505 North Miami Ave., Miami: Filter Magazine presents hot indie-electronic Brooklyn band Chairlift. $5, fountainexhibit.com/blog/
• 9 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 5, The Awarehouse, 550 NW 29th St., Miami: Two alternative Latin stars, Spanish rapper Mala Rodriguez and Mexican dance-electronic music band Kinky. Free with RSVP by Thursday to conversepresents.com/basel.
See and Do
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 30-Oct.2
- Debate watching parties in Miami
- 7 Places You Must Visit in Key Biscayne
- Louis C.K. announces four show run at Arsht Center in November
- Miami public spaces are getting a makeover with these upcoming projects
- 12 Things You Didn't Know about Jean-Michel Basquiat
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 23-25
- Live the nostalgia of ‘¿Qué Pasa, USA?’ this Saturday
- 4 Fitness Events in South Florida for Gym Rats
- Everglades gets funky with Wynwood benefit