Anything that Floats Regatta
The Anything that Floats Regatta takes place this weekend challenging sailors to make seaworthy vessels out of household clutter.
Hey Gilligan, time to show the ocean who's boss! Teams of sailors will compete to see who can create the most seaworthy vessel using things from around the house: cardboard, duct tape, buckets, saran wrap, T-shirts, furniture, etc. No motors, foam, pool toys or inflatable rafts allowed.
The fun takes place on Blackwater Sound, mile marker 104, bayside in Key Largo, Florida Keys. Friday night kicks off the festivities with a Captain's Party at 7:30 p.m. at Senor Frijoles. The race happens Saturday at 2 p.m. where teams of 2, 4 and unlimited teams will compete in several categories including Best Looking Crew, Best Decorated Boat and more. Someone may win the race as well, but that's not really the point.
Enter a homemade vessel, join the regatta on Blackwater Sound, or cheer on your favorite team from land as the contestants navigate the course from the Caribbean Club to Sundowners and back. The party continues after the sun sets, with music and fireworks.
Anything That Floats
August 20 at 7:30 p.m. Captain's Party at Senor Frijoles
August 21 at 2 p.m. race day
Blackwater Sound, Mile Marker 104, bayside
See and Do
- 5 reasons why mango season is the best time to be in Miami
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- Friends of The Underline hosts #PokemonGoUnderline social media contest
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami
- 10 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 22-24
- Things we discovered on a 74-mile car trip on the Tamiami Trail from Miami to Naples
- Finding craft beer at Miami sports venues
- 9 events you can't miss in Miami - August 2016