Anything that Floats Regatta
The Anything that Floats Regatta takes place this weekend challenging sailors to make seaworthy vessels out of household clutter.
Hey Gilligan, time to show the ocean who's boss! Teams of sailors will compete to see who can create the most seaworthy vessel using things from around the house: cardboard, duct tape, buckets, saran wrap, T-shirts, furniture, etc. No motors, foam, pool toys or inflatable rafts allowed.
The fun takes place on Blackwater Sound, mile marker 104, bayside in Key Largo, Florida Keys. Friday night kicks off the festivities with a Captain's Party at 7:30 p.m. at Senor Frijoles. The race happens Saturday at 2 p.m. where teams of 2, 4 and unlimited teams will compete in several categories including Best Looking Crew, Best Decorated Boat and more. Someone may win the race as well, but that's not really the point.
Enter a homemade vessel, join the regatta on Blackwater Sound, or cheer on your favorite team from land as the contestants navigate the course from the Caribbean Club to Sundowners and back. The party continues after the sun sets, with music and fireworks.
Anything That Floats
August 20 at 7:30 p.m. Captain's Party at Senor Frijoles
August 21 at 2 p.m. race day
Blackwater Sound, Mile Marker 104, bayside
See and Do
- Debate watching parties in Miami
- 7 Places You Must Visit in Key Biscayne
- Louis C.K. announces four show run at Arsht Center in November
- Miami public spaces are getting a makeover with these upcoming projects
- 12 Things You Didn't Know about Jean-Michel Basquiat
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 23-25
- Live the nostalgia of ‘¿Qué Pasa, USA?’ this Saturday
- 4 Fitness Events in South Florida for Gym Rats
- Everglades gets funky with Wynwood benefit
- Wade, Mourning and other celebs attend opening of Haitian photography exhibit in Wynwood