Anglins Beach Cafe
2.5 stars for "dependable" food and a "fabulous" view in Laurderdale-by-the-Sea
If you watched A&E’s The Glade on Sunday, you may have spotted the Hollywood Women’s Club (portrayed as a Pentecostal church) and “Frannie’s Cafe,” the real-life Anglins Beach Cafe in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. The producers no doubt chose Anglins for the same reason we did — its fantastic location, right on the beach at the entrance to historic Anglin’s Pier.
Formerly the Pier Coffee Shop, Anglins opened two years ago with a more ambitious menu, extended hours and live music several nights a week. Most of the seats, which include a row of wood booths, have a view of the ocean, but there’s a small inside dining area if you want a break from the sun. (But then why are you here?) Marchelos, a co-owner (with his brother) of nearby Athena Cafe, serves several dishes reflecting his Greek heritage, so you’ll find stuffed grape leaves and hummus along with hamburgers. The menu boasts organic ingredients including eggs, yogurt, salads and Naked Wines, made with organically grown grapes.
Ambience: Owner Spiro Marchelos and his wife, Nikki, created an eco-friendly restaurant, using biodegradable containers, LED and natural lighting and other green features. Stop by for breakfast and you’ll catch fishermen who have been casting lines for snook, snapper or mackerel since the predawn hours. Come back for dinner, and sightseers are joining new anglers on the 975-foot pier, the longest in Broward. Any time of day, having a meal so close to the sea is a treat.
- A long list of omelets including the Flipper (feta and gyro) and the Pelican (ham, mushrooms and feta)
- The truly homey home fries — just the right amount of crunch without being overcooked
- French toast with fresh strawberries
- Banana nut pancakes
- A generous plate of fresh-tasting hummus with pita slices
- Beach standards like coconut shrimp, chicken wings and chicken quesadillas
- A ypical gyro platter with rice pilaf and a Greek salad
- A light, tart Key lime pie — Nikki Marchelos’ recipe
Anglins Beach Cafe
Anglin’s Pier, 2 Commercial Blvd, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
Hours: 7am-10pm daily
Prices: Soups and appetizers $5-$12, entrees $18-$24, desserts $6
FYI: Beer and wine. MC, VS.
- The Atlantic Hotel opens two new restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale Beach on April 4
- Weston's D’Angelo Pizza launches 12 for $12 lunch special
- Tsukuro launches "Lucky You" happy hour
- BC Cafe hosts beer pairing dinner March 29
- Grille 401 debuts sushi & sake bar on Las Olas
- Paula DaSilva hosts a three-month "Spring Awakening" brunch series at 3030 Ocean
- SAIA celebrates National Noodle Month with 25% off pad Thai shrimp
- Bite into something new this Feb: Restaurant openings in Wynwood, Fort Lauderdale & Aventura
- Toast National Margarita Day Feb 22
- SAIA woos AIA marathoners with a Feb 16 feast