Anglins Beach Cafe
2.5 stars for "dependable" food and a "fabulous" view in Laurderdale-by-the-Sea
Anglins Beach Cafe
Anglin’s Pier, 2 Commercial Blvd, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
Hours: 7am-10pm daily
Prices: Soups and appetizers $5-$12, entrees $18-$24, desserts $6
FYI: Beer and wine. MC, VS.
If you watched A&E’s The Glade on Sunday, you may have spotted the Hollywood Women’s Club (portrayed as a Pentecostal church) and “Frannie’s Cafe,” the real-life Anglins Beach Cafe in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. The producers no doubt chose Anglins for the same reason we did — its fantastic location, right on the beach at the entrance to historic Anglin’s Pier.
Formerly the Pier Coffee Shop, Anglins opened two years ago with a more ambitious menu, extended hours and live music several nights a week. Most of the seats, which include a row of wood booths, have a view of the ocean, but there’s a small inside dining area if you want a break from the sun. (But then why are you here?) Marchelos, a co-owner (with his brother) of nearby Athena Cafe, serves several dishes reflecting his Greek heritage, so you’ll find stuffed grape leaves and hummus along with hamburgers. The menu boasts organic ingredients including eggs, yogurt, salads and Naked Wines, made with organically grown grapes.
Ambience: Owner Spiro Marchelos and his wife, Nikki, created an eco-friendly restaurant, using biodegradable containers, LED and natural lighting and other green features. Stop by for breakfast and you’ll catch fishermen who have been casting lines for snook, snapper or mackerel since the predawn hours. Come back for dinner, and sightseers are joining new anglers on the 975-foot pier, the longest in Broward. Any time of day, having a meal so close to the sea is a treat.
- A long list of omelets including the Flipper (feta and gyro) and the Pelican (ham, mushrooms and feta)
- The truly homey home fries — just the right amount of crunch without being overcooked
- French toast with fresh strawberries
- Banana nut pancakes
- A generous plate of fresh-tasting hummus with pita slices
- Beach standards like coconut shrimp, chicken wings and chicken quesadillas
- A ypical gyro platter with rice pilaf and a Greek salad
- A light, tart Key lime pie — Nikki Marchelos’ recipe
- Sustainable seafood stars at Wild Sea on Las Olas
- The BOL brings an "elevated Asian experience" to Seminole Hard Rock
- Steak 954 hosts a "Bourbon on the Brain" fundraiser
- Amatsu brings "heavenly" sushi to the Westin Fort Lauderdale
- Get Festive: Blues, Brews & BBQ and Las Olas Wine & Food 2013
- Wild Sea Oyster Bar brings seafood to Fort Lauderdale's Riverside Hotel
- Margate's Fusion Latin Cuisine celebrates its grand opening March 21
- Fort Lauderdale's The Grateful Palate revamps for spring 2013
- Sirocco brings Mediterranean eats to Seminole Hard Rock
- Caffeinate with free coffee in Pembroke Pines