American Black Film Festival 2013 (Night 1)
Miami Beach Film Festival screenings and party at SLS hotel
Day one of the American Black Film Festival went off without a hitch. As opposed to year's passed, this year's conference seems a bit quieter than most. Being that this is the 10th year that the film festival has taken place in Miami, and its 17th year in existence, you would expect more hoopla when the festival roles into town. But just because there aren't many people roaming the lounges and pool areas of The Ritz South Beach, doesn't
mean that business and valuable networking isn't taking place.
The hot summer temperatures could be to blame for people staying in doors until the screening of "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete." Audiences filled the Colony Theatre for two showing of the buzzed about coming-of-age drama that was produced by Alicia Keys, Bob Tietel, George Tillman, Jr., who also directed, written by Michael Starrbury and includes stars Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks and young actors Skylan Brooks (Mister) and Ethan Dizon (Pete).
The flick follows two young boys as they struggle to take care of themselves while waiting for their mothers to come back home. However, finding food proves to be a major challenge as they try to navigate the New York community that is stricken with poverty, drugs, thieves and snitches. The movie took the audience on a roller coaster of laughs and tears.
Before the movie, ABFF introductions were led by Nicole Friday, wife of ABFF CEO and Founder Jeff Friday (who was not at the event due to a back problem) festival producer Reggie Scott, ABFF 2013 Ambassador Omari Hardwick, along with members of the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau and the City of Miami Beach officials who presented a proclamation making ABFF Days, June 19-23 official.
Later that night, festivals attendees gathered at the SLS Hotel for drinks and networking.
- Miami Soul 2016 Black History Month events and celebrations around South Florida
- Miami Soul: Florida Memorial University's Homecoming lineup featuring T.I. in concert, tailgating, and more
- Miami International Boat Show celebrates 75th Anniversary bigger & better February 11-15
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Live jazz, beer tastings, and other things to do in South Florida Jan 28 - Jan 31
- GastroWars Knife-Fight Competition & Craft Beer Pairings
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day celebration events and Day of Service projects throughout South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Zo's Winter Groove, Big Night in Little Haiti, Wine & Reggae Festival and more
- Florida Grand Opera debuts rarely-performed opera, Bellini’s Norma
- iPic Theaters opens in North Miami Beach for luxury movie going experience
- Funk Fest kicks off the New Year with live performances by Fantasia, New Edition, Doug E. Fresh and more