American Black Film Festival 2013 (Night 1)
Miami Beach Film Festival screenings and party at SLS hotel
Day one of the American Black Film Festival went off without a hitch. As opposed to year's passed, this year's conference seems a bit quieter than most. Being that this is the 10th year that the film festival has taken place in Miami, and its 17th year in existence, you would expect more hoopla when the festival roles into town. But just because there aren't many people roaming the lounges and pool areas of The Ritz South Beach, doesn't
mean that business and valuable networking isn't taking place.
The hot summer temperatures could be to blame for people staying in doors until the screening of "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete." Audiences filled the Colony Theatre for two showing of the buzzed about coming-of-age drama that was produced by Alicia Keys, Bob Tietel, George Tillman, Jr., who also directed, written by Michael Starrbury and includes stars Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks and young actors Skylan Brooks (Mister) and Ethan Dizon (Pete).
The flick follows two young boys as they struggle to take care of themselves while waiting for their mothers to come back home. However, finding food proves to be a major challenge as they try to navigate the New York community that is stricken with poverty, drugs, thieves and snitches. The movie took the audience on a roller coaster of laughs and tears.
Before the movie, ABFF introductions were led by Nicole Friday, wife of ABFF CEO and Founder Jeff Friday (who was not at the event due to a back problem) festival producer Reggie Scott, ABFF 2013 Ambassador Omari Hardwick, along with members of the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau and the City of Miami Beach officials who presented a proclamation making ABFF Days, June 19-23 official.
Later that night, festivals attendees gathered at the SLS Hotel for drinks and networking.
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Colors of the Caribbean, Big Night in Little Haiti featuring Akoustik Band, and more
- Taste of the Caribbean 2015: A Showcase of Caribbean Cuisine
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Juneteenth Food & Music Festival, Greek Cookout, Deltas After Dark, and more
- Miami Soul: Caribbean-American Heritage Month Events Around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: CAT's Corner: A Jazz Fusion Experience, Que Boogaloo, All White Yacht Party and more
- Miami Soul: Live Jazz Spots Around Miami
- Miami Soul Memorial Day weekend guide: PAMM Memorial Day BBQ, Palm Beach Jerk & Caribbean Culture Festival, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kinfolks SoulFood Music Festival and other events around South Florida
- Haitian Heritage Cultural Month Celebrations Around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: RonDayVu Day Party, Taste the Islands, Wireless Headphone Party Experience, and more