American Black Film Festival 2013 (Night 1)
Miami Beach Film Festival screenings and party at SLS hotel
Day one of the American Black Film Festival went off without a hitch. As opposed to year's passed, this year's conference seems a bit quieter than most. Being that this is the 10th year that the film festival has taken place in Miami, and its 17th year in existence, you would expect more hoopla when the festival roles into town. But just because there aren't many people roaming the lounges and pool areas of The Ritz South Beach, doesn't
mean that business and valuable networking isn't taking place.
The hot summer temperatures could be to blame for people staying in doors until the screening of "The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete." Audiences filled the Colony Theatre for two showing of the buzzed about coming-of-age drama that was produced by Alicia Keys, Bob Tietel, George Tillman, Jr., who also directed, written by Michael Starrbury and includes stars Jennifer Hudson, Jordin Sparks and young actors Skylan Brooks (Mister) and Ethan Dizon (Pete).
The flick follows two young boys as they struggle to take care of themselves while waiting for their mothers to come back home. However, finding food proves to be a major challenge as they try to navigate the New York community that is stricken with poverty, drugs, thieves and snitches. The movie took the audience on a roller coaster of laughs and tears.
Before the movie, ABFF introductions were led by Nicole Friday, wife of ABFF CEO and Founder Jeff Friday (who was not at the event due to a back problem) festival producer Reggie Scott, ABFF 2013 Ambassador Omari Hardwick, along with members of the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau and the City of Miami Beach officials who presented a proclamation making ABFF Days, June 19-23 official.
Later that night, festivals attendees gathered at the SLS Hotel for drinks and networking.
- Four popular spots around Miami you didn’t know were black-owned
- Jazz in the Gardens Foodie-Focus event serves up the best of the festival's Food Village
- Love Life and the 411: Scandal watch party Thursday, plenty of Flow on Friday
- Noire Miami's food, music, and wine weekend edition
- Love, Life, and the 411 - Soldiers of Love
- Love, Life, and the 411: Week of Feb 7th
- Noire Miami's Pre-Valentine's Day and First Friday events to do this weekend in South Florida
- Love, Life & the 411: Where to party for the Super Bowl
- Noire Miami's Ultimate 2014 Black History Month guide of events throughout South Florida
- Miami Dolphins veteran player Chris Chambers presents “Strikes For Scholarships” with celebrity friends