American Black Film Festival 2013 (Day 1)
ABFF kicks off with unveiling of Film Life Center in Overtown
The American Black Film Festival 2013 has officially kicked into gear. The four-day festival began with a soft opening of the Film Life Center located at the Historic Chapman House, 1200 NW 6th St., a historic section of Overtown. The unveiling was led by City of Miami Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones. The event included ABFF attendees such as Jeff Friday, CEO of Film Life, Inc.; noted actor and ABFF ambassador Omari Hardwick; and Bill Diggs, president and CEO of the Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce.
"Film is one of the most influential mediums of our time," Spence-Jones said. "The Miami Film Life Center aims to enhance the access and awareness of film and filmmaking opportunities to the residents of Overtown and surrounding communities,” she said.
ABFF will take place in Miami Beach from June 19-23. The conference was created to highlight films that showcase people of color. In the past, the festival has been hosted around the world including Los Angeles, CA and Acapulco, Mexico. Nevertheless, the festival, whichbis in its 17th year, continues to return to the sunshine state. During the next few days the festival will present 30 films at the Colony Theater and Miami Beach Cinematheque.
- Vanessa James Media and Cadillac Celebrate Another Successful VJ Media Mixology IV
- Miami Soul weekend guide: 100 Black Men Happy Hour, Afropolitan Miami, Alphadisiac A List Party, and more
- Miami Soul giveaway: Advance screening of THE MARTIAN featuring Chiwetel Ejiofor & Matt Damon
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Bite in Little Haiti, Neo Soul Saturdays, SocialXchange Happy Hour, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Black Professionals Summit, Our Family Dinner, Hush Rooftop Party, and more
- Unplug & Reconnect on a Staycation Getaway in The Palm Beaches
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Miami Under 40 Mixer, African Wardrobe Festival, Black & White Affair, and more
- The American Black Film Festival Returns to Miami
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Afro Roots World Music Festival, The Man in 3B film screening, Wynwood Art Walk
- National Black Chamber of Commerce Annual Conference featuring Business Leaders, Celebrities