American Black Film Festival 2013 (Day 1)
ABFF kicks off with unveiling of Film Life Center in Overtown
The American Black Film Festival 2013 has officially kicked into gear. The four-day festival began with a soft opening of the Film Life Center located at the Historic Chapman House, 1200 NW 6th St., a historic section of Overtown. The unveiling was led by City of Miami Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones. The event included ABFF attendees such as Jeff Friday, CEO of Film Life, Inc.; noted actor and ABFF ambassador Omari Hardwick; and Bill Diggs, president and CEO of the Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce.
"Film is one of the most influential mediums of our time," Spence-Jones said. "The Miami Film Life Center aims to enhance the access and awareness of film and filmmaking opportunities to the residents of Overtown and surrounding communities,” she said.
ABFF will take place in Miami Beach from June 19-23. The conference was created to highlight films that showcase people of color. In the past, the festival has been hosted around the world including Los Angeles, CA and Acapulco, Mexico. Nevertheless, the festival, whichbis in its 17th year, continues to return to the sunshine state. During the next few days the festival will present 30 films at the Colony Theater and Miami Beach Cinematheque.
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Colors of the Caribbean, Big Night in Little Haiti featuring Akoustik Band, and more
- Taste of the Caribbean 2015: A Showcase of Caribbean Cuisine
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Juneteenth Food & Music Festival, Greek Cookout, Deltas After Dark, and more
- Miami Soul: Caribbean-American Heritage Month Events Around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: CAT's Corner: A Jazz Fusion Experience, Que Boogaloo, All White Yacht Party and more
- Miami Soul: Live Jazz Spots Around Miami
- Miami Soul Memorial Day weekend guide: PAMM Memorial Day BBQ, Palm Beach Jerk & Caribbean Culture Festival, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kinfolks SoulFood Music Festival and other events around South Florida
- Haitian Heritage Cultural Month Celebrations Around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: RonDayVu Day Party, Taste the Islands, Wireless Headphone Party Experience, and more