Alissa Christine loves Miami (every day)
Alissa Christine loves Miami so much she's photographing it every day for a year for her latest project, ilovemiami365.com.
By Jessica Sick
It's hard to love Miami 365 days a year. Hell, it's hard to love it for more than ten minutes (the glow usually dimmed by having to park on South Beach or visiting Dolphin Mall). Alissa Christine has managed to find a way to ignore that cloud of negativity that seems to loom despite our freakishly plentiful sunshine, and instead pay attention to the city's beauty -- at least through her camera lens.
In response to a show she was to be part of in New York City, the local photographer decided to feature one picture every day for a month. When she returned home, the light bulb went off and ilovemiami365 was born. Starting on January 1, 2008, she would choose one photo, once a day, for an entire year, each month holding a show to display that month's photos. With two months under her belt, Christine hasn't cheated yet (meaning taking photos in advance) -- managing to capture an image daily by midnight. Well, almost.
"There have been times when I've been out and I get a great photo at 1 or 2 a.m. -- sometimes Saturday morning as just an extension of Friday night. Then again," she adds, "it's fair game for next day's photo, too." After all, some days are more inspiring than others, she admits. (We're guessing those are the days that involve parking on South Beach.)
See and Do
- Perez Art Museum Miami’s new exhibits will reflect Miami
- George Balanchine’s ‘The Nutcracker’
- The Orchid Show takes over Design District on Nov. 14
- Optic Nerve Film Festival 14 takes place Friday at Museum of Contemporary Art
- Visual Arts in Miami
- Charles LeDray at the Bass Museum
- Microteatro brings theater shorts to downtown Miami
- Miami Museums
- Tigertail presents Tool is Loot, a collaborative dance
- Miami City Ballet debuts new work by young British choreographer