Alissa Christine loves Miami (every day)
Alissa Christine loves Miami so much she's photographing it every day for a year for her latest project, ilovemiami365.com.
By Jessica Sick
It's hard to love Miami 365 days a year. Hell, it's hard to love it for more than ten minutes (the glow usually dimmed by having to park on South Beach or visiting Dolphin Mall). Alissa Christine has managed to find a way to ignore that cloud of negativity that seems to loom despite our freakishly plentiful sunshine, and instead pay attention to the city's beauty -- at least through her camera lens.
In response to a show she was to be part of in New York City, the local photographer decided to feature one picture every day for a month. When she returned home, the light bulb went off and ilovemiami365 was born. Starting on January 1, 2008, she would choose one photo, once a day, for an entire year, each month holding a show to display that month's photos. With two months under her belt, Christine hasn't cheated yet (meaning taking photos in advance) -- managing to capture an image daily by midnight. Well, almost.
"There have been times when I've been out and I get a great photo at 1 or 2 a.m. -- sometimes Saturday morning as just an extension of Friday night. Then again," she adds, "it's fair game for next day's photo, too." After all, some days are more inspiring than others, she admits. (We're guessing those are the days that involve parking on South Beach.)
See and Do
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 10 features you won’t want to miss
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome
- LA artist Kenton Parker elevates the 'selfie' with solo exhibition at Primary Projects for Art Basel
- Big brands descend on Miami Art Week to expose emerging artists to the public
- Accessible Art: Fort Lauderdale art exhibit spotlights 10 female artists, CIFO teams up with Museum of Fine Arts Boston, and MOCA on WPBT Ch. 2
- More gifts pour in as Pérez Art Museum Miami prepares to open
- Bookleggers brings Literary Death Match to Bardot in Miami
- Abstract painter Larry Poons brings art to Miami nature center in January
- Lunch with Lydia: Daughter of Wynwood pioneer carries on father’s mission