Alissa Christine loves Miami (every day)
Alissa Christine loves Miami so much she's photographing it every day for a year for her latest project, ilovemiami365.com.
By Jessica Sick
It's hard to love Miami 365 days a year. Hell, it's hard to love it for more than ten minutes (the glow usually dimmed by having to park on South Beach or visiting Dolphin Mall). Alissa Christine has managed to find a way to ignore that cloud of negativity that seems to loom despite our freakishly plentiful sunshine, and instead pay attention to the city's beauty -- at least through her camera lens.
In response to a show she was to be part of in New York City, the local photographer decided to feature one picture every day for a month. When she returned home, the light bulb went off and ilovemiami365 was born. Starting on January 1, 2008, she would choose one photo, once a day, for an entire year, each month holding a show to display that month's photos. With two months under her belt, Christine hasn't cheated yet (meaning taking photos in advance) -- managing to capture an image daily by midnight. Well, almost.
"There have been times when I've been out and I get a great photo at 1 or 2 a.m. -- sometimes Saturday morning as just an extension of Friday night. Then again," she adds, "it's fair game for next day's photo, too." After all, some days are more inspiring than others, she admits. (We're guessing those are the days that involve parking on South Beach.)
See and Do
- 5 Reasons to go to Wynwood Life
- O, Miami poetry shows up in local food
- Wynwood Art Walk moves to a larger street for monthly event in Miami
- 6 ways to tap into the Miami-London love affair
- Ayikodans offers a prayer in the form of dance for its sixth season at the Arsht Center
- 7 best bets for live music this weekend
- 'Peppa Pig’ makes a splash with live shows in South Florida
- A 'Sound of Music’ that hits many of the right notes
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 9 features you won’t want to miss
- DWNTWN Art Days 2015 this weekend