Frita Shop popping up at Bread + Butter in Coral Gables weekly in May
Alberto Cabrera's Cuban American burger concept is coming soon.
Yet another long-awaited culinary concept (see: SHIKANY) will be debuting soon, only this time it's previewing as a pop-up.
Alberto Cabrera's much-anticipated Frita Shop will emerge within his extant Coral Gables restaurant, Bread + Butter | pan con mantequilla starting Wednesday, May 7, and taking place during lunch and dinner service every Wednesday in May.
Weekly, the restaurant will switch personalities and "transform into Frita Shop, a full-on burger joint, serving up extremely affordable and uber tasty specialty fritas, hot dogs, sandwiches, sides, shakes and desserts," reads a release.
Here's what you'll find on that menu:
Fritas ($3.50-$8.50), grinding all-natural Angus beef and blending it with housemade heritage pork chorizo, are offered single or double and include the Shop Classic with onions, Idaho potato shavings and ketchup; Chino with kimchee, cilantro, onion and ketchup; Washington with lettuce, tomato, onions and smoked mayo; or the Farmer with housemade bacon, farm egg and bbq sauce. Slider-sized version called Frita Littles in a half-dozen or dozen are also offered.
FS Dawgs ($3-$5.25) are housemade links, seared on a griddle and topped in styles including the Classic Frita with onion, ketchup and Idaho potato shavings and the Miami Dawg with sour cream, pink sauce, ketchup, mustard, pineapple and potato shavings.
Sandwiches ($4.50-$7.50) include the Pan Con Piggy with roasted pork, cracklings, pickled onion and oregano aioli; the Steak with oven-dried tomatoes, pickled onions, Idaho potato shavings and roasted garlic mayo; and the Fried Chicken Milanesa with smoked ham, Swiss cheese and marinara.
Desserts ($1-$2) include cups of Azucar Ice Cream in flan, guava & cheese and maduro plantains, and Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Frita also plans to offer The Unincorporated M-D Burger — housemade ‘Merican cheese, jamon dulce, B+B pickles, onions and special sauce on a chicarrón-studded Cuban sesame roll — likely on National Burger Day: May 28.
As for when the pop-up goes perma, a rep tells us, "Frita Shop is a solidified concept that is very dear to Alberto's heart; he's simply looking for the right time and place to open. The pop-up will serve as a preview and tool to gauge just how much Miami loves it."
Bread + Butter
2330 Salzedo St., Coral Gables
- Food Network chef Ben Vaughn joins Swine Southern Table & Bar for 2-month takeover
- Michael Pirolo, Aaron Brooks & Niven Patel join Kaytlin Brakefield on 3-course collab
- Chef Michael Schwartz to open Fi’lia, a new Italian concept, in Brickell in fall of 2016
- Move over koji: The "Approachable" Restaurant is Miami's latest, hottest food trend
- Picking your political poison: Broken Shaker debuts the Sorry Donald cocktail
- Who makes Miami's prettiest latte?
- 9 recipes to get you in the mood for #NegroniWeek
- Eating House's Giorgio Rapicavoli's 2-night Azul collaboration
- Donuts and cocktails for Friday's National Donut Day
- A new Top 10: 4-star Plant Food and Wine tops 2016's best-reviewed restaurants