Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter brings modern Cuban classics to the Gables
Cuban soul food in a stylish, neo-industrial space.
Bread + Butter
2330 Salzedo St, Coral Gables
The Goods: Chef Alberto Cabrera (The Local) helms Bread + Butter, a casual spot for modern Cuban food in Coral Gables.
The Ambience: The bright and airy neo-industrial space is outfitted with exposed ceilings, rustic wood tables, steel chairs and a 22-seat counter adorned with homemade butters and jams.
The Grub: Modern Cuban classics served as $5-$14 small plates. Playful dishes include the namesake pan con mantequilla, bread baked in a cast-iron ramekin and served on a wooden board; "crackling of the day;" and the China frita, a burger with Napa cabbage kimchi, cilantro, onion and siracha ketchup. Other options include tamal en casuela (pictured), a hearty bowl of smoked oxtail ragu with a Lake Meadow egg and toasted garlic; pan con lechon with a bao bun, mojo criollo and pickled garlic; bacon-wrapped plantains; and bone marrow ropa vieja.
Lighter dishes include crudo de pescado with wahoo, watermelon, avocado, corn nuts, coriander and sour orange. Sate a sweet tooth with goat cheese flan and classic dulce de leche.
The Verdict: Cuban soul food in a stylish, neo-industrial space.
- Beaker & Gray is a new date spot in Wynwood
- Brickell's Komodo is a Pan-Asian Palace
- Coyo Taco branches out in South Beach
- The old Grove Isle spot is now Palmeiras Beach Club
- Jaya revives the Setai's dining room with Asian, Indian influences
- Talde is Asian cooking with Brooklyn swagger
- Stephen Starr restores Bal Harbour's French spot with Le Zoo
- Wynwood has a new Peruvian restaurant: GK Bistronomie
- The Cypress Room in Miami is now Cypress Tavern: See the differences
- Deco Dining at Driftwood Room