Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter brings modern Cuban classics to the Gables
Cuban soul food in a stylish, neo-industrial space.
The Goods: Chef Alberto Cabrera (The Local) helms Bread + Butter, a casual spot for modern Cuban food in Coral Gables.
The Ambience: The bright and airy neo-industrial space is outfitted with exposed ceilings, rustic wood tables, steel chairs and a 22-seat counter adorned with homemade butters and jams.
The Grub: Modern Cuban classics served as $5-$14 small plates. Playful dishes include the namesake pan con mantequilla, bread baked in a cast-iron ramekin and served on a wooden board; "crackling of the day;" and the China frita, a burger with Napa cabbage kimchi, cilantro, onion and siracha ketchup. Other options include tamal en casuela (pictured), a hearty bowl of smoked oxtail ragu with a Lake Meadow egg and toasted garlic; pan con lechon with a bao bun, mojo criollo and pickled garlic; bacon-wrapped plantains; and bone marrow ropa vieja.
Lighter dishes include crudo de pescado with wahoo, watermelon, avocado, corn nuts, coriander and sour orange. Sate a sweet tooth with goat cheese flan and classic dulce de leche.
The Verdict: Cuban soul food in a stylish, neo-industrial space.
Bread + Butter
2330 Salzedo St, Coral Gables
- First Look: Dragonfly adds to Doral dining scene
- First Look: 1111 Peruvian Bistro brings polished Peruvian to Brickell
- First Look: Glass & Vine brings new energy to Coconut Grove
- Ichimi in Coral Gables for Ramen lovers
- The Miami River Gets Fancy with The River Yacht Club
- Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth tackle "American dim sum" at Sarsaparilla Club
- Los Fuegos is Francis Mallmann's "open fire" kitchen at Faena Hotel
- Plant Food and Wine opens in Wynwood with upscale vegan and raw dishes
- The Juvia folks branch out with Sushi Garage in Sunset Harbour
- Ariete Gives Us a Reason to Trek to the Grove