AIRIE Summer Salon presents art inspired by the Everglades
Artists inspired by the beauty of the Everglades present their works at one of Miami's most historic residences.
AIRIE Summer Salon
5-8 p.m. Sunday, June 30
3734 Matheson Ave., Coconut Grove
Tickets $50-$1000 at www.airie.org
"Art takes nature as its model," Aristotle asserted. Thanks to the Artists in Residence in the Everglades (AIRIE) program, our local eco-system can play muse to the artistic machinations of photographers, performance artists, writers and thinkers. The programs allows artists to shadow scientists (who know the land well enough to not step into a 'gator's nest) for one month and use the experience as inspiration to create, well, anything.
See the artistic fruits of these residencies in the Everglades from 5-8 p.m. this Sunday at the first AIRIE Summer Salon fundraiser taking place at an historic private home in the South Grove. On display will be works by past artists-in-residence Jules Buck Jones and Deedra Ludwig and more plus a sound installation and performance piece.
Current artist-in-residence, dancer Ana Mendez, who will perform at the event, says her experience in the Everglades has made her deconstruct movement to a basic, fundamental level. "The AIRIE residency has been a great opportunity to reflect on our relationship to nature. It has also been a time to meditate on some of the basic principles of my work, such as 'why dance?' "
AIRIE board member Deborah M. Mitchell hopes the artists' works and creative efforts brings attention to the importance of our ever-shrinking Everglades. "Our wilderness is finite, and historically we have looked to writers and artists for a deeper understanding of such places."
See and Do
- Yoga del Barrio comes to jugofresh
- Earth Day, spring parties, egg hunts and Munchkin Fun's 10 other fun things to do this week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - April 11-13
- Egg hunts, photo ops & Munchkin Fun's top picks for Easter 2014
- Miami Beach Gay Pride takes over South Beach this weekend
- Choreographer Trey McIntyre brings community and artistic inspiration from Boise to Miami
- Deering Estate Festival of the Arts offers three days of events
- Heineken TransAtlantic Festival trae excelencia rockera a Miami Beach
- Heineken Transatlantic Festival brings global sounds to Miami
- PhilanthroFest Outdoor Festival returns to Wolfson Campus