Air Show in Homestead
Wings Over Homestead makes a return to the Homestead Air Reserve Base this weekend.
Wings Over Homestead airshow
Where: Homestead Air Reserve Base, 29050 Coral Sea Blvd. in Homestead
When: Gates open at 8 a.m. Show hours: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 6; 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.Sunday, Nov. 7
Parking: Free parking on base is limited. County lots will be available for a charge.
For more information: Call 305-224-SHOW or visit WingsOverHomestead.com
Jet engines will roar this weekend in a tribute to the military and their families when Wings Over Homestead returns to the Homestead Air Reserve Base.
The event makes another comeback Saturday and Sunday after returning last year for the first time in nearly two decades. With dozens of military aircraft on display in the air and on the ground, this year's show promises the smell of jet fuel and the sound of afterburner, said Air Force Reserve Maj. Sean Carpenter. He is in charge of the flying and static displays for the show.
“I wanted to get as much stuff flying as I could. And I wanted it to be loud,'' Carpenter said.
Seventeen acts will take to the skies, including the Navy's Blue Angels flight demonstration team and the Army's Golden Knights parachute team. Carptenter promises seven hours of flight demonstrations every day, starting in the morning with a fly-by of F-16s.
“People like to see stuff they usually don't see,'' he said. “They want to hear afterburner. They want to see really neat military planes, tight loops and steep climbs.''
There will be plenty to see on the ground, too. Dozens of aircraft, including the F-15e, F-16 and F-18 will be on display. Carpenter said the static displays are what make this airshow unique.
“You're gong to able to walk beside them, and sometimes go inside them,'' he said.
See and Do
- Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, Parachutes & Doktor Kaboom: Munchkin Fun's Top picks Apr 27 - May 3
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - April 24-26
- ‘MythBusters’ duo gets Miami audience involved in science hijinks
- Little Havana Visitor Center opens on Calle Ocho
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 24-26
- Festivals of Speed brings luxury to Museum Park
- Island City delivers the laughs and the bite in ‘Little Dog Laughed’
- Outdoor Movies, Earth Day Goodies, Summer Camp & Giveaways: Munchkin Fun's Top picks Apr 20-26
- No 'pleading the fifth' for Andy Cohen in Miami
- Anderson Cooper comes to Miami for an intimate conversation