Air Show in Homestead
Wings Over Homestead makes a return to the Homestead Air Reserve Base this weekend.
Wings Over Homestead airshow
Where: Homestead Air Reserve Base, 29050 Coral Sea Blvd. in Homestead
When: Gates open at 8 a.m. Show hours: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 6; 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.Sunday, Nov. 7
Parking: Free parking on base is limited. County lots will be available for a charge.
For more information: Call 305-224-SHOW or visit WingsOverHomestead.com
Jet engines will roar this weekend in a tribute to the military and their families when Wings Over Homestead returns to the Homestead Air Reserve Base.
The event makes another comeback Saturday and Sunday after returning last year for the first time in nearly two decades. With dozens of military aircraft on display in the air and on the ground, this year's show promises the smell of jet fuel and the sound of afterburner, said Air Force Reserve Maj. Sean Carpenter. He is in charge of the flying and static displays for the show.
“I wanted to get as much stuff flying as I could. And I wanted it to be loud,'' Carpenter said.
Seventeen acts will take to the skies, including the Navy's Blue Angels flight demonstration team and the Army's Golden Knights parachute team. Carptenter promises seven hours of flight demonstrations every day, starting in the morning with a fly-by of F-16s.
“People like to see stuff they usually don't see,'' he said. “They want to hear afterburner. They want to see really neat military planes, tight loops and steep climbs.''
There will be plenty to see on the ground, too. Dozens of aircraft, including the F-15e, F-16 and F-18 will be on display. Carpenter said the static displays are what make this airshow unique.
“You're gong to able to walk beside them, and sometimes go inside them,'' he said.
See and Do
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13
- Colombian mangoes will be the star at this weekend’s Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Dennis Miller performs Sunday with Dana Carvey at Seminole Hard Rock
- Free movies, camp, crafts & Munchkin Fun's top picks for your post-holiday week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 4-6
- Fireworks, festivals, parades & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Florida Supercon: Top Five Things to Do
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - June 27-29
- Jungle Island hosts 99.9 Kiss Country Music Festival on the Fourth of July