Air Show in Homestead
Wings Over Homestead makes a return to the Homestead Air Reserve Base this weekend.
Wings Over Homestead airshow
Where: Homestead Air Reserve Base, 29050 Coral Sea Blvd. in Homestead
When: Gates open at 8 a.m. Show hours: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 6; 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.Sunday, Nov. 7
Parking: Free parking on base is limited. County lots will be available for a charge.
For more information: Call 305-224-SHOW or visit WingsOverHomestead.com
Jet engines will roar this weekend in a tribute to the military and their families when Wings Over Homestead returns to the Homestead Air Reserve Base.
The event makes another comeback Saturday and Sunday after returning last year for the first time in nearly two decades. With dozens of military aircraft on display in the air and on the ground, this year's show promises the smell of jet fuel and the sound of afterburner, said Air Force Reserve Maj. Sean Carpenter. He is in charge of the flying and static displays for the show.
“I wanted to get as much stuff flying as I could. And I wanted it to be loud,'' Carpenter said.
Seventeen acts will take to the skies, including the Navy's Blue Angels flight demonstration team and the Army's Golden Knights parachute team. Carptenter promises seven hours of flight demonstrations every day, starting in the morning with a fly-by of F-16s.
“People like to see stuff they usually don't see,'' he said. “They want to hear afterburner. They want to see really neat military planes, tight loops and steep climbs.''
There will be plenty to see on the ground, too. Dozens of aircraft, including the F-15e, F-16 and F-18 will be on display. Carpenter said the static displays are what make this airshow unique.
“You're gong to able to walk beside them, and sometimes go inside them,'' he said.
See and Do
- Summer Fun 2015: Your guide to kids programs and camps for the summer in Miami
- Summer Fun 2015: Your guide to parks in Miami this summer
- Russian pianist plays Wynwood on Friday
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - May 22-24
- Third Thursdays at Perez Art Museum Miami brings music and drinks
- Memorial Day Weekend Events - 2015
- Haitian Book Fair to celebrate Caribbean culture for 3rd year
- Annie, Open Play & Freebie Fun: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks for Memorial Day Week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - May 15-17
- Haitian Compas Festival encores at Sun Life Stadium with System Band and many more