After 19 years, David's Cafe II likely leaving Lincoln Road due to rent hikes
If an agreement isn't reached, longtime Lincoln Road mainstay has to be out by July 31
Lincoln Road is continuing its Stepford-like plunge into national chain-dom, with 14 Sunglass Huts, Guess?, the Gap, Vicky's Secret, H&M, et. al. and possibly sooner than later another yet-to-be-named retail spot to take over one of the last remaining mom & pop shops on that road--David's Cafe II. That's right, the popular pick-me-up spot for Cuban coffee and fare is being kicked out because the landlord wants to take the space national.
"The rent they want is out of control," owner Adrian Gonzalez told us. "We're trying to work with them to see what we can do, but they want what they consider fair market value." In other words, they want a national tenant. Gonzalez, whose family opened the Lincoln Road branch of its longtime Collins Ave. location back in 1993, laments that Lincoln Road "Is not favorable to mom and pop businesses."
While David's II isn't 100% leaving, Gonzalez says it's likely and that they are entertaining other options. Would David's ever cross the causeway? "I know where to be if I want to pick up and go," he says cryptically. "We've explored the idea of taking a smaller space." They may also just "regroup down to" the original David's, in biz for 35 years, on Collins Ave.
Gonzalez says the David's gang loves Lincoln Road, but, sadly and obviously, it's not what it used to be. "Look at Washington Avenue. It used to be the place to be. Everyone got greedy, squeezed out the mom and pop businesses and now you can't give space away there. We came to Lincoln Road when it was a ghost town. We evolved with it. But when things are on top, they squeeze the little guys out. It's heartbreaking because we put so much blood, sweat and tears into it. The hardest thing is to say that we're leaving and closing but we're preparing for the worst."
If things don't work out, David's II pours its last Cafe Cubano on July 31. Stay tuned.
- Tap 79 Bar & Grill opens in Miami's Shorecrest
- Riviera Focacceria Italiana opens in midtown Miami
- Sriracha House slings heat in South Beach
- David's Cafe on Collins closing after 37 years
- Blackbrick Brings on the Brunch
- Pubbelly introduces PB Fish, a seafood pop-up at PB Steak starting April 8
- AQ by Acqualina, featuring Dewey LoSasso & Hiro's Yakko San
- Mansion morphing into "Miami-style country western line dancing" club with Blue Collar's Danny Serfer serving "large plates"
- Las Olas hot spot American Social opening in ex Waxy O'Connor's space
- Allen Susser's Daily Melt grilling the cheese up in Fort Lauderdale on April 1