African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival of Florida
Fourth-annual festival brings three days of fun and dance
Long before Miley Cyrus showed off her twerk skills, Africans were busy doing the bobaraba booty bounce and the gyrating Mapouka. The Ivory Coast is home to today's dance moves that dominate the hip-hop scene. At the fourth annual African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival (taking place from Aug. 2-4 at the Little Haiti Cultural Center) dance instructor Tawanna Dobson will teach attendees how to work up a sweat with Afro Zumba, which fuses African movements and traditional Zumba.
"We use a lot of movements where we work our legs, quads, core strengthening and arms," Dobson says. She adds that Afro Zumba can be a more intense workout for some. After a little nudge, she also admits that Afro Zumba is a great way to practice your winding, which may be useful the next time you try to drop it like it’s hot at LIV nightclub.
The three-day festival also offers Shekere yoga. The word shekere refers to a West African instrument made from a gourd that is draped with a net and adorned with beads. Family friendly workshops; arts and crafts; food trucks and a lecture series highlighting the countries of Guinea and Senegal, will aslo be available. Prices range between $0 to $20.
On Saturday, Aug. 3, there will be musical performances by the Delou Africa Dance Ensemble, Fatala, Venus Rising, Children of Kuumba, Natambu, and more starting at 7:30 p.m.
African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival
When: Aug. 2-4
Where: Little Haiti Cultural Center
Address: 212 NE 59th Terrace, Miami, FL
Admission: Prices vary
For more information and to register for classes go to
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Grit, Grits, and Glitter; Brunch on the Bay, Sigma Cookout, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Lyric Live featuring Regina Belle, DanceAfrica Miami, Day La Soul day party, and more
- DanceAfrica Miami debuts August 5-7
- Miami Soul weekend guide: International Music Fest, Overtown Music Festival, Lyric Comedy Fest, and more
- 5 things to look forward to at the Overtown Music & Arts Festival
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Ankara Swim, Bobby Valentine Single Release party, Sounds of Little Haiti, and more
- Miami Soul 4th of July weekend guide: Afropolitan Miami, Afrikin, Day La Soul, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: 12th Annual Irie Weekend and other things to do June 23 - 26, 2016
- Miami Soul: 7 Caribbean-American Heritage Month events to check out
- Que Boogaloo, Greek Cookout, Reggae Sundays and more events in Miami