African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival of Florida
Fourth-annual festival brings three days of fun and dance
African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival
When: Aug. 2-4
Where: Little Haiti Cultural Center
Address: 212 NE 59th Terrace, Miami, FL
Admission: Prices vary
For more information and to register for classes go to
Long before Miley Cyrus showed off her twerk skills, Africans were busy doing the bobaraba booty bounce and the gyrating Mapouka. The Ivory Coast is home to today's dance moves that dominate the hip-hop scene. At the fourth annual African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival (taking place from Aug. 2-4 at the Little Haiti Cultural Center) dance instructor Tawanna Dobson will teach attendees how to work up a sweat with Afro Zumba, which fuses African movements and traditional Zumba.
"We use a lot of movements where we work our legs, quads, core strengthening and arms," Dobson says. She adds that Afro Zumba can be a more intense workout for some. After a little nudge, she also admits that Afro Zumba is a great way to practice your winding, which may be useful the next time you try to drop it like it’s hot at LIV nightclub.
The three-day festival also offers Shekere yoga. The word shekere refers to a West African instrument made from a gourd that is draped with a net and adorned with beads. Family friendly workshops; arts and crafts; food trucks and a lecture series highlighting the countries of Guinea and Senegal, will aslo be available. Prices range between $0 to $20.
On Saturday, Aug. 3, there will be musical performances by the Delou Africa Dance Ensemble, Fatala, Venus Rising, Children of Kuumba, Natambu, and more starting at 7:30 p.m.
- Miami Soul: Soul Basel Mega Guide Part 1 - Black Exhibits to check out during Miami Art Week
- Norwegian Escape debuts with blazing performance by Pitbull aka Mr. 305
- Cadillac features 2015 Cadillac ATS model at Road to Table Culinary Experience at Michael’s Genuine
- The City of Miami Gardens presents a foodies’ paradise at inaugural Miami Gardens Wine & Food Experience
- Five tips to prepare you for Diner en Blanc Miami on Saturday, November 14, 2015
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Afropolitan Miami, Art of Transformation Opening Reception, and more
- 4th Annual Beach Road Trip weekend heads to the Florida Keys
- 2015 Caribe Arts Fest - A Celebration of Caribbean Art, Music, and Film
- Sean “Diddy” Combs Receives Keys to the City of Miami Beach, Honored with "REVOLT Music Conference Day" designation
- 3rd Annual South Beach Seafood Festival October 21-24, 2015