African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival of Florida
Fourth-annual festival brings three days of fun and dance
African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival
When: Aug. 2-4
Where: Little Haiti Cultural Center
Address: 212 NE 59th Terrace, Miami, FL
Admission: Prices vary
For more information and to register for classes go to
Long before Miley Cyrus showed off her twerk skills, Africans were busy doing the bobaraba booty bounce and the gyrating Mapouka. The Ivory Coast is home to today's dance moves that dominate the hip-hop scene. At the fourth annual African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival (taking place from Aug. 2-4 at the Little Haiti Cultural Center) dance instructor Tawanna Dobson will teach attendees how to work up a sweat with Afro Zumba, which fuses African movements and traditional Zumba.
"We use a lot of movements where we work our legs, quads, core strengthening and arms," Dobson says. She adds that Afro Zumba can be a more intense workout for some. After a little nudge, she also admits that Afro Zumba is a great way to practice your winding, which may be useful the next time you try to drop it like it’s hot at LIV nightclub.
The three-day festival also offers Shekere yoga. The word shekere refers to a West African instrument made from a gourd that is draped with a net and adorned with beads. Family friendly workshops; arts and crafts; food trucks and a lecture series highlighting the countries of Guinea and Senegal, will aslo be available. Prices range between $0 to $20.
On Saturday, Aug. 3, there will be musical performances by the Delou Africa Dance Ensemble, Fatala, Venus Rising, Children of Kuumba, Natambu, and more starting at 7:30 p.m.
- Miami Soul weekend guide: The Family Dinner II, Talib Kweli performing live, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: FAMU Rattler Reunion Weekend, South Florida Youth Summit, and more
- Five things to do this Labor Day Weekend: Miami Ques Day Party, RonDayVu Day Party and more
- Jeffrey Osborne, Bell Biv DeVoe to Headline Black Enterprise Golf & Tennis Challenge Labor Day Weekend
- Miami Soul Weekly Going Out Guide for things to do and where to go
- Miami Soul on the Scene: Estelle Paints the Town Red with Rosa Regale
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Distinguished Gentlemen event, Sundays at the Bay, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Soca Reggae Unity party, Soul Centric Miami, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Rakim performing live, Jamaica Independance party and more
- Miami Soul Travel Series: Luxury Travel Tips from Arabia Escapes