African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival of Florida
Fourth-annual festival brings three days of fun and dance
African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival
When: Aug. 2-4
Where: Little Haiti Cultural Center
Address: 212 NE 59th Terrace, Miami, FL
Admission: Prices vary
For more information and to register for classes go to
Long before Miley Cyrus showed off her twerk skills, Africans were busy doing the bobaraba booty bounce and the gyrating Mapouka. The Ivory Coast is home to today's dance moves that dominate the hip-hop scene. At the fourth annual African Diaspora Dance and Drum Festival (taking place from Aug. 2-4 at the Little Haiti Cultural Center) dance instructor Tawanna Dobson will teach attendees how to work up a sweat with Afro Zumba, which fuses African movements and traditional Zumba.
"We use a lot of movements where we work our legs, quads, core strengthening and arms," Dobson says. She adds that Afro Zumba can be a more intense workout for some. After a little nudge, she also admits that Afro Zumba is a great way to practice your winding, which may be useful the next time you try to drop it like it’s hot at LIV nightclub.
The three-day festival also offers Shekere yoga. The word shekere refers to a West African instrument made from a gourd that is draped with a net and adorned with beads. Family friendly workshops; arts and crafts; food trucks and a lecture series highlighting the countries of Guinea and Senegal, will aslo be available. Prices range between $0 to $20.
On Saturday, Aug. 3, there will be musical performances by the Delou Africa Dance Ensemble, Fatala, Venus Rising, Children of Kuumba, Natambu, and more starting at 7:30 p.m.
- Miami Soul giveaway: Exclusive Invitation for “The Man in 3B” Red Carpet Film Screening
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kindred the Family Soul, YPN Broward Day Party, Miami Under 40 Networking, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, House Party 25th Anniversary party, Mellow Dramatic Mondays
- Miami Soul: 5th Annual Overtown Music & Arts Festival featuring Raheem Devaughn, Melanie Fiona, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Pines Food & Wine Festival, South Florida Book Festival and more
- Miami Soul: 2nd Saturdays Wynwood Art Walk guide of cool events to check out July 11
- National Urban League Conference takes over South Florida July 29 - August 2, 2015 with Hillary Clinton, Jeb Bush confirmed
- Miami Soul weekend guide: South Florida HBCU Picnic, RonDayVu Day Party, A Conversation on Haitian/Dominican Crisis
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Colors of the Caribbean, Big Night in Little Haiti featuring Akoustik Band, and more
- Taste of the Caribbean 2015: A Showcase of Caribbean Cuisine