The Victoria's Secret model turned Miami on its head.
By Madeleine Marr
Monkey Jungle had nothing on the Aventura Mall on a Thursday afternoon.
The line outside Victoria's Secret to get a glimpse of lingerie model Adriana Lima snaked out about a quarter of a mile.
The SoFla natives were getting restless.
"She's my favorite Angel, but this is pretty ridiculous," said Chino Martin, 20, from Sunrise. He came as a favor to cousin Jesus Loayza, 14, who needed a ride. They'd been there about an hour and still had to tangle through the masses inside.
If only the boys had bought the retailer's latest bra, the BioFit Uplift, they would have been granted access to the "express lane." Those smarties only had an hourlong wait to meet the Brazilian beauty and get her autograph.
"I didn't know my mother's size or I would have," said Martin of the $45 padded chest accessory.
In the store, the scene was no less chaotic. Amid the panty bins and babydoll racks, a swarm of publicists, saleswomen and paparazzi jockeyed for elbow room.
Suddenly Lima - dressed in a navy T-shirt and jeans - appeared from a back room.
"I'm so flattered," Lima said, looking out at the crowd (an estimated 800 showed). "I thank God every day. I am blessed."
She's right about that. The 27-year-old Salvador Bahia native looks better in person - about six feet tall with insanely blue eyes and a dazzling smile. Too bad she's not single. The huge diamond ring she wore is from Serbian basketball player Marko Jaric, who popped the question a month ago.
"When I stop traveling all over the world I will plan the wedding," Lima said, laughing. "I'm too busy right now!"
- Keep the party going after the sun sets on Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 18 - 20
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Nicole Moudaber brings her sounds to Space on Saturday
- Party with Jenny McCarthy at E11even Miami Saturday night after "Dirty Sexy Funny"
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 11 - 13
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Dada Life brought high-energy show to Miami
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - July 4 - 6
- Afrojack warms up the Fourth of July partying with a set at Mansion this Thursday