Adria Alum opening Piripi in the Gables
San Sebastián cuisine comes to Merrick Park
El Bulli may be history, but a piece of it is heading to Coral Gables in October or November via Piripi, 320 San Lorenzo Ave. in The Village of Merrick Park, featuring the cuisine of TV actress turned Spanish-Basque chef Najat Kaanache.
Born and raised in San Sebastián, Kaanache has a culinary CV that includes stints at Noma, French Laundry, Per Se and Alinea alongside Rene Redzepi, Thomas Keller, Grant Achatz, Heston Blumenthal and Martin Berasetegui. She spent the final two years at El Bulli working directly with Ferran Adria until the restaurant closed.
Kaanache, says a rep, "will moderate the molecular, presenting homespun, authentic Spanish cuisine" with heavy emphasis on seafood, as well as a selection of “lively” tapas and paellas.
The central bar will feature Spanish wines by the glass as well as "gin tonics.”
The restaurant will also feature an intimate, semi-private chef's dining room, delivering “fanciful” and “immersive” dining experiences for 10-12 special guests.
The well-connected chef has tapped into her vast network of colleagues from the world’s finest restaurants, with a wine list created by Spanish sommelier Ferran Centelles, who spent 13 years at El Bulli.
“You are only as talented as those with whom you surround yourself. In hospitality it is all about the team," she says.
The restaurant, according to owner Gus Abalo, is named after Spanish slang for “happy”, “tipsy” or “feeling a little bit buzzed."
Sounds buzzworthy for sure.
- Golden Fig opening to the public July 27
- Hyde Beach Kitchen+Cocktails coming to Hallandale Beach later this summer
- Chef Allen Susser delivers a sustainable seafood dinner
- Wapo Taco! opening Coral Gables location Friday July 10 with free tacos & beer
- Golden Fig farmhouse restaurant opening late summer in ex OTC space
- Pierre's, Morada Beach Cafe off the market with new executive chef, Ishmael Toro
- Dinner at La Savina at Mondrian out; Brooklyn's Momo Sushi Shack 'pop-up' in
- Ted's at YoungArts closed
- LGBT Night at Dos Caminos
- OTC closes in Brickell after 3-year run