Adria Alum opening Piripi in the Gables
San Sebastián cuisine comes to Merrick Park
El Bulli may be history, but a piece of it is heading to Coral Gables in October or November via Piripi, 320 San Lorenzo Ave. in The Village of Merrick Park, featuring the cuisine of TV actress turned Spanish-Basque chef Najat Kaanache.
Born and raised in San Sebastián, Kaanache has a culinary CV that includes stints at Noma, French Laundry, Per Se and Alinea alongside Rene Redzepi, Thomas Keller, Grant Achatz, Heston Blumenthal and Martin Berasetegui. She spent the final two years at El Bulli working directly with Ferran Adria until the restaurant closed.
Kaanache, says a rep, "will moderate the molecular, presenting homespun, authentic Spanish cuisine" with heavy emphasis on seafood, as well as a selection of “lively” tapas and paellas.
The central bar will feature Spanish wines by the glass as well as "gin tonics.”
The restaurant will also feature an intimate, semi-private chef's dining room, delivering “fanciful” and “immersive” dining experiences for 10-12 special guests.
The well-connected chef has tapped into her vast network of colleagues from the world’s finest restaurants, with a wine list created by Spanish sommelier Ferran Centelles, who spent 13 years at El Bulli.
“You are only as talented as those with whom you surround yourself. In hospitality it is all about the team," she says.
The restaurant, according to owner Gus Abalo, is named after Spanish slang for “happy”, “tipsy” or “feeling a little bit buzzed."
Sounds buzzworthy for sure.
- High end Kaori by Walter Martino opening in Brickell area February 23
- Juvia's Japanese sibling Sushi Garage opens in Miami's Sunset Harbor 'hood
- Now open: Coconut Grove's Spasso--"Simple, honest, brutal food"
- Food Network UK star Andy Bates brings "refined British pub food" to A&E District with 3-day pop up
- Blair Wilson, Mike Isabella, Jennifer Carroll, George Pagnois headline Surfcomber food fest
- The Bridge Cocktail Bar's December takeover of The Local Craft Food & Drink
- Kevin Cory transforms NAOE sibling into N Shabu Shabu
- Alinea in Residence comes to Miami: Chef Grant Achatz to pop up at Faena Miami Beach
- Former Miami restaurant owner Joshua Woodward pleaded no contest Friday to attempted murder for trying to induce a miscarriage
- Jose Garces planning Miami restaurant