Adria Alum opening Piripi in the Gables
San Sebastián cuisine comes to Merrick Park
El Bulli may be history, but a piece of it is heading to Coral Gables in October or November via Piripi, 320 San Lorenzo Ave. in The Village of Merrick Park, featuring the cuisine of TV actress turned Spanish-Basque chef Najat Kaanache.
Born and raised in San Sebastián, Kaanache has a culinary CV that includes stints at Noma, French Laundry, Per Se and Alinea alongside Rene Redzepi, Thomas Keller, Grant Achatz, Heston Blumenthal and Martin Berasetegui. She spent the final two years at El Bulli working directly with Ferran Adria until the restaurant closed.
Kaanache, says a rep, "will moderate the molecular, presenting homespun, authentic Spanish cuisine" with heavy emphasis on seafood, as well as a selection of “lively” tapas and paellas.
The central bar will feature Spanish wines by the glass as well as "gin tonics.”
The restaurant will also feature an intimate, semi-private chef's dining room, delivering “fanciful” and “immersive” dining experiences for 10-12 special guests.
The well-connected chef has tapped into her vast network of colleagues from the world’s finest restaurants, with a wine list created by Spanish sommelier Ferran Centelles, who spent 13 years at El Bulli.
“You are only as talented as those with whom you surround yourself. In hospitality it is all about the team," she says.
The restaurant, according to owner Gus Abalo, is named after Spanish slang for “happy”, “tipsy” or “feeling a little bit buzzed."
Sounds buzzworthy for sure.
- Former Miami restaurant owner Joshua Woodward pleaded no contest Friday to attempted murder for trying to induce a miscarriage
- Jose Garces planning Miami restaurant
- Update: CANCELED Brooklyn's Pies 'n' Thighs pops up at the Mondrian
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz is out at the Raleigh Hotel on South Beach
- Raleigh on the sale rack and Restaurant Michael Schwartz out?
- Luther Campbell hosts dinner party at Mignonette on November 11
- Chef Jeremiah & Roel Alcudia team up on gastroDobo, a 1-night Filipino pop-up in Wynwood
- GK Bistronomie bringing 'globally inspired Peruvian' cuisine to Wynwood
- Habit Burger opens in Miami, donates first-week proceeds to charity
- 'Chopped' champ Mathias Gervais opening modern Asian restaurant at The Setai