Actor ready to fight
Actor Holt McCallany knows his way around a boxing ring -- both as a sparring partner and an actor. That should help as he stars in the new FX Network series Lights Out, which premieres at...
Actor Holt McCallany knows his way around a boxing ring -- both as a sparring partner and an actor.
McCallany plays Patrick ``Lights'' Leary, an aging former heavyweight boxing champion struggling with life after his career ends. Financial troubles have him considering the choice between a return to the ring or working as a debt collector.
McCallany boxed in the 1995 TV movie Tyson, playing legendary trainer Teddy Atlas. He got to know the real man during the filming, and when he landed the FX series, he called Atlas to help him train.
``It's like a big fraternity. And because it's a very serious game, it's a very, very dangerous game, there's this kind of like unspoken respect that exists between these guys,'' McCallany says of the boxing world. ``It's a very pure sport and it's a very noble endeavor because you find out the things about yourself that maybe you didn't want to find out.''
Training is key.
``If you didn't commit yourself and do everything that you needed to do, you're going to be exposed.''
On Our Radar
- Paulina Rubio in hot water over concert no show
- John Leguizamo in Miami to talk new movie
- Dave Chappelle seen at club until the wee hours
- Mario Chalmers hosts first annual Red Hot Winter Wonderland
- Robi Draco Rosa reveals that cancer has returned
- Demi Lovato a headliner at Y100 Jingle Ball
- Strange turn in Justin Bieber lawsuit
- Is Lindsay Lohan behind Basel beatdown?
- Paul Walker to costar with Miami native
- Michael Jordan's wife expecting