Actor ready to fight
Actor Holt McCallany knows his way around a boxing ring -- both as a sparring partner and an actor. That should help as he stars in the new FX Network series Lights Out, which premieres at...
Actor Holt McCallany knows his way around a boxing ring -- both as a sparring partner and an actor.
McCallany plays Patrick ``Lights'' Leary, an aging former heavyweight boxing champion struggling with life after his career ends. Financial troubles have him considering the choice between a return to the ring or working as a debt collector.
McCallany boxed in the 1995 TV movie Tyson, playing legendary trainer Teddy Atlas. He got to know the real man during the filming, and when he landed the FX series, he called Atlas to help him train.
``It's like a big fraternity. And because it's a very serious game, it's a very, very dangerous game, there's this kind of like unspoken respect that exists between these guys,'' McCallany says of the boxing world. ``It's a very pure sport and it's a very noble endeavor because you find out the things about yourself that maybe you didn't want to find out.''
Training is key.
``If you didn't commit yourself and do everything that you needed to do, you're going to be exposed.''
On Our Radar
- Sarah Jessica Parker popping in to Bloomingdale's Aventura
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision