Actor ready to fight
Actor Holt McCallany knows his way around a boxing ring -- both as a sparring partner and an actor. That should help as he stars in the new FX Network series Lights Out, which premieres at...
Actor Holt McCallany knows his way around a boxing ring -- both as a sparring partner and an actor.
McCallany plays Patrick ``Lights'' Leary, an aging former heavyweight boxing champion struggling with life after his career ends. Financial troubles have him considering the choice between a return to the ring or working as a debt collector.
McCallany boxed in the 1995 TV movie Tyson, playing legendary trainer Teddy Atlas. He got to know the real man during the filming, and when he landed the FX series, he called Atlas to help him train.
``It's like a big fraternity. And because it's a very serious game, it's a very, very dangerous game, there's this kind of like unspoken respect that exists between these guys,'' McCallany says of the boxing world. ``It's a very pure sport and it's a very noble endeavor because you find out the things about yourself that maybe you didn't want to find out.''
Training is key.
``If you didn't commit yourself and do everything that you needed to do, you're going to be exposed.''
On Our Radar
- Kathie Lee Gifford at Boca Bachannal
- Ex Real Housewives of Miami star arrested
- Local chef a contestant on 'Hell's Kitchen'
- Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons in Miami
- Dan Aykroyd making stops in Broward
- Scott Disick set to appear at Crazy Horse in Pompano Beach
- Toni Braxton meets up with the Wades at benefit
- Sir Richard Branson takes in Formula E
- Nick Zano talks being a Florida guy
- Victoria's Secret spring break party