Actor ready to fight
Actor Holt McCallany knows his way around a boxing ring -- both as a sparring partner and an actor. That should help as he stars in the new FX Network series Lights Out, which premieres at...
Actor Holt McCallany knows his way around a boxing ring -- both as a sparring partner and an actor.
McCallany plays Patrick ``Lights'' Leary, an aging former heavyweight boxing champion struggling with life after his career ends. Financial troubles have him considering the choice between a return to the ring or working as a debt collector.
McCallany boxed in the 1995 TV movie Tyson, playing legendary trainer Teddy Atlas. He got to know the real man during the filming, and when he landed the FX series, he called Atlas to help him train.
``It's like a big fraternity. And because it's a very serious game, it's a very, very dangerous game, there's this kind of like unspoken respect that exists between these guys,'' McCallany says of the boxing world. ``It's a very pure sport and it's a very noble endeavor because you find out the things about yourself that maybe you didn't want to find out.''
Training is key.
``If you didn't commit yourself and do everything that you needed to do, you're going to be exposed.''
On Our Radar
- Christina Milian models in Miami Beach
- What's up with Ryan Tannehill's mega contract?
- Instacart: An easier way to get groceries?
- Tony Romo eats his way through Miami
- Phil Collins in town
- Adrian Grenier guest of honor at magazine party
- Kings of Chaos at Hard Rock Live
- Joe Pepitone biopic penned by local screenwriters
- Talking to Beyonce's fitness guru Marco Borges
- Condo dwellers affected by Jonah Hill movie