Accessible Art: 'Unscripted: A Bal Harbour Creative Project' presents Mark Dion, 'River of Art' networking event and art showcase at La Mexicana in Brickell, Coral Gables photography contest, and Hugo Lopez's photography exhibit in South Beach
Support Art Studio Miami at 'River of Art,' enter to win the Capture Coral Gables Photography Contest, and see new exhibits by Edouard Duval-Carrié and other local artists
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Unscripted with Rene Morales and Mark Dion
“Unscripted: A Bal Harbour Creative Project” presents Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) curator Rene Morales in discussion with world renowned artist Mark Dion about his archaeological fieldwork on Tuesday, March 18 at 6:30 p.m. ONE Bal Harbour Resort & Spa, 10295 Collins Ave., Bal Harbour. RSVP required: email@example.com.
River of Art
Life is Art presents the 12th “River of Art” networking event and art showcase to benefit Art Studio Miami at La Mexicana,* 1451 S. Miami Ave., Miami on Tuesday, March 18 from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. Entry includes welcome drink, food, and artworks by Ernie Novo, Gustavo Ramirez , and Jennifer Maria. $10 in advance using discount code “LIA” at river.lifeisartfest.org. $20 without RSVP. *Please note new venue.
New to the board
Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) named Marilyn J. Holifield to its board of trustees. Holifield is a partner with the law firm of Holland & Knight in Miami and serves on the Board of Trustees of the University of Miami, Executive Committee of the Harvard Alumni Association, and PAMM’s African American Artist Advisory Committee. pamm.org.
Call for photography
The Coral Gables Museum is accepting entries for the 3rd annual Capture Coral Gables Photography Contest for categories including architecture, events, nature, and faces of Coral Gables. 13 winners will exhibit at the museum and win prizes. Open to teens and adults of all skill levels. Entries due May 2. Several images will be selected by jurors to exhibit from June 6 – Aug. 24 for museum visitors to vote for their favorite. coralgablesmuseum.org, firstname.lastname@example.org or 306-603-8067.
Artist John Dowd is showing 15 new oil-on-canvas paintings at the Williams McCall Gallery through March 29. “About Florida” is Dowd’s third exhibit of Florida landscapes at the gallery. 110 Washington Ave., CU-3, Miami Beach; williamsmccallgallery.com or 786-359-4321.
Hugo Lopez exhibits
Miami-based photographer Hugo Lopez’s exhibit “Pure” is on display at The Sense Beach House’s new art gallery/lounge inside the boutique hotel at 400 Ocean Dr., Miami Beach through May 15. Always open to the public. sensebeachhouse.com or 305-538-5529.
New at PAMM
Haitian-born, Miami-based artist Edouard Duval-Carrié’s solo exhibition “Imagined Landscapes” is now on view at Pérez Art Museum Miami. Generated over the past year, the exhibit features a series of mural-sized paintings and chandeliers (as a single installation) depicting lush tropical scenes executed entirely in black and silver glitter. Through Aug. 31. 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; pamm.org or 305-375-3000.
- Accessible Art: Knight Arts Challenge hosts kickoff at Gramps and works by Red Wolf pop up at Kelley Roy Gallery
- 5 reasons why we’re excited about the new Vagabond Restaurant & Bar
- AIRIE in the Garden supports 'Wild Billboards'
- 3 Reasons to put Filmgate Interactive on your radar
- Accessible Art: Play on Simon Vega's sub-tropical social structures at Locust Projects and see stunning photography at the Wolfsonian-FIU
- Accessible Art: Artist Jason Aponte at Cafeina’s Wynwood Exhibition Center and the largest Jade Buddha sculpture comes to Miami
- Philadelphia's prestigious Barnes Foundation recruits Thom Collins of PAMM
- "Will Work for Food:" Miami muralists decorate downtown parking garage for new Whole Foods Market
- Accessible Art: Major exhibition at CIFO explores Abstraction and "Art Collectors Perspectives" series kicks off with Martin Z. Margulies at NSU Museum of Art
- Artists from Miami to Australia transform Wynwood's Jose de Diego Middle School into an outdoor museum