Accessible Art: Tour current exhibits in Fort Lauderdale with Arts Encounters, attend the first Downtown Miami Arts + Science Salon, celebrate 25 years at Young Art Museum in Davie, and join story time at PAMM
A weekly guide to Miami's arts scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's arts scene
Visit Fort Lauderdale with Arts Encounters
Miami-based Arts Encounters presents a guided tour of four exhibitions on Thursday, April 24 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale: a retrospective of American painter William Glackens; the European avant-garde “Spirit of Cobra;” Bob Adelman’s documentary photography of the Civil Rights Movement; and, performance art videos by Zachary Fabri. After lunch at the museum’s cafe, 1 E. Las Olas Blvd., the group will view works by female artists at the Girls’ Club Collection, where Miami’s multimedia TM Sisters curated “I think it’s in my head.” $50 includes entrance, guide fees, and lunch. Reservations required: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling organizer Margery Gordon at 305-989-0027.
Arts + Science in downtown Miami
The first edition of the Downtown Miami Arts + Science Salon Series (DASS) is FRIDAY, APRIL 25 (DATE CHANGE) from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at the CU-1 Gallery in the historic Security Building, 117 NE 1st Ave. Modeled after the New York Public Library’s interview series and TED Talks, DASS will bring a diverse mix of international artists and renowned scientists together for guided conversations and wine. Membership is required for attendance: $100 or $150 per couple for six months. dassmiami.com or 786-709-9390.
25 years young
Young at Art Museum in Davie celebrates 25 years with famed artist Kenny Scharf and comedian/actor Aasif Mandvi from The Daily Show as headliners on Friday, April 25 at 7:30 p.m. The third annual gala will cover the entire museum with a new exhibition, featuring works by Scharf, Federico Uribe, and Saya Woolfalk, as well as interactive art, Circus Sarasota, live music, a silent auction, Bacardi cocktails, and food. Tickets are $250. 751 SW 121 Ave., Davie; youngatartmuseum.com or 954-424-5011.
Story time at PAMM
Art Storytime at the Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) is Saturday, April 26 at 1 p.m. featuring exercises in literacy with an in-gallery story reading and art-related activity at the museum’s Knight Education Center. Open to 3- 5-year-olds and their caregivers. Pre-registration required: email@example.com. Space is limited to 12 children. $7 per child and $10 for non-members, plus museum admission. 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; pamm.org or 786-345-5641.
Brian Stephens in Hallandale Beach
Sirona Fine Art, 600 Silks Run, Ste. 1240, presents painter Brian Stephens with an opening reception in Hallandale Beach on Saturday, April 26 from 6 - 9 p.m. for “Romantic, Cosmic Pop,” a new exhibit of emotional subjects on view through May 27. RSVP required: firstname.lastname@example.org or 954-454-9494.
Art Everywhere US
Online voting is underway for Art Everywhere US, the largest open-air art show in which the public picks 50 masterworks of American art (1767-2008) from participating museums across the country -- Art Institute of Chicago, Dallas Museum of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, National Gallery of Art and Whitney Museum of American Art – to pop up as reproductions on 50,000 out of home advertising displays nationwide, including billboards, buses, and trains, for a month starting on August 4. Voting closes May 7 and winning works will be announced June 20. arteverywhereus.org.
- Adrian Grenier and partner bring sustainable design to Miami
- Accessible Art: Celebrate Dias de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) at the Bakehouse Art Complex and get the 'bassartpass' for Miami Art Week
- Accessible Art: Julian Schnabel leaves his mark in Brickell and Smash & Grab for Locust Projects
- Meet dozens of local artists Saturday at The Fountainhead Studios in Little Haiti
- Pérez Art Museum Miami mounts colorful solo show from Brazilian painter Beatriz Milhazes
- Accessible Art: Unscripted Bal Harbour hosts New York-based artist David Brooks and new exhibitions at ArtCenter/South Florida
- Accessible Art: Street art and technology at III Points Festival with Abstrk and on-demand shipping comes to Miami for Art Basel
- Muse of the Month: Artist James B. Clover
- Accessible Art: Miami graffiti artist Jona Cerwinske transforms lounge at Katsuya and 'Untitled' art fair announces partnership with Curiator
- Miami artist, architects win design competition for new park in Wynwood