Accessible Art: See Connie McSilver's whimsical sculptures in the Design District, Salvador Dali at Wentworth Galleries, and Art Miami expands
Art inspired by psychology at Markowicz Fine Art Gallery, meet Dali's publisher's daughter and view her colleciton, and Art Miami acquires Downtown Fair in New York
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Mixed-media artist, social worker, and retired psychoanalyst Connie McSilver debuts a series of whimsical sculptures made of fiberglass covered with automotive paint alongside brightly colored paintings that explore psychology and social work at Markowicz Fine Art Gallery, 114 NE 40th St., Miami. Opening reception is Thursday, Jan. 30 from 6 – 8 p.m. RSVP required to email@example.com or 786-362-5546. markowiczfineart.com.
Salvador Dali: The Argillet Collection
Wentworth Galleries announces a dual presentation of “Salvador Dali: The Argillet Collection,” a museum-quality exhibition of original etchings, photographs, and pen and ink drawings, on Saturday, Feb. 1 with two scheduled appearances by Madame Christine Argillet, daughter of Dali’s publisher and confidante Pierre Argillet, from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Wentworth Gallery on Las Olas Blvd. and from 6 – 9 p.m. at the gallery’s location inside the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton. Events are free and open to the public with RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org, 954-468-0685 or email@example.com, 561-338-0804. Collection is on exhibition until Feb. 15. wentworthgallery.com.
Art Miami group expands
The ownership group of Art Miami acquired New York’s Downtown Fair just in time for its first edition May 8 – 11 at the historic 69th Regiment Armory during Frieze Week. Art Miami partner and director Nick Korniloff will direct the inaugural show with a roster of approximately 50 high profile contemporary art dealers from around the world. downtownfair.com or 305-515-8573.
- Accessible Art: Acclaimed sculptor El Anatsui takes over the Bass Museum of Art, Miami artist Bhakti Baxter explores geometry at Gallery Diet, Virginia Overton and Wangechi Mutu exhibits open simultaneously at MOCA, ArtCenter/South Florida celebrates 30th
- HistoryMiami street art exhibit is hot, hot, hot in downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: University of Miami graduate student Carolyn Kay Chema unveils “Curiosities” in Wynwood, explore PAMM for free on Saturday, see photography by Mary Ellen Mark in Coral Gables, and get tickets for Locust Projects' Spring Fling
- ‘ArtScape’ highlights art scene in Miami Beach’s Collins Park neighborhood
- Muse of the month: Artist Agustina Woodgate
- Accessible Art: Celebrations at Frost Art Museum, Machine Project video screening at PAMM, open call for high school students and MFA candidates at Locust Projects, and sign your kids up for a summer of art in Fort Lauderdale
- Young painter Kai Guetta depicts iconic rappers as royalty for solo exhibition at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Antonia Wright stuns at Spinello Projects, apply for funds from FEAST Miami, enjoy graffiti at HistoryMiami, and see a Miami Herald photojournalist's retrospective
- Local writer sets up Bookleggers mobile library in Everglades National Park to give away books during AIRIE residency
- Wolfsonian-FIU's Power of Design 'gripe fest' focuses on solutions for Miami