Accessible Art: See acclaimed portrait of Pope Francis, plan for YoungArts Week, and relive Art Basel
Extended dates for Bryan Drury's solo-exhbition in South Beach, YoungArts throws a week-long celebration, and watch highlights from Art Basel fairs and Miami Art Week events
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Painter Bryan Drury’s, “Supernatural: Religious, Theological & Spiritual Leaders,” is on view through January 24 at the Dean Project (1629 & 1627 Jefferson Ave. at Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach). Included in the sold-out exhibition is the artist’s portrait of Pope Francis, which printed on the inside cover of Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” issue on Dec. 15. Eight oil paintings (seven portraits, including the Pope, and one natural world painting) as well as one pencil drawing are on display. Open to the public: Tuesday to Saturday from 2 – 7 p.m. deanproject.com or 786-238-7075.
The National YoungArts Foundation celebrates YoungArts Week with a series of events for students and the public, Jan. 6 - 12. Monday – Thursday concerts and performances start at 8 p.m. each night at New World Center, Miami Beach; tickets $10. Friday’s events start at 6 p.m. at the YoungArts Campus. Prices range from free - $10. Complete schedule: youngarts.org or 800-970-ARTS.
“Design Now + Design Features,” a discussion with Frank Gehry, world-renowned architect and designer of the master plan for the new campus, is 10 a.m. Sunday with Zaha Hadid and Paola Antonelli. YoungArts Campus, 2100 Biscayne Blvd. Miami; free with RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-377-1140. Space is extremely limited.
If you didn’t make it to Art Basel or if you burned out before you saw it all, watch this video essay by Arts and Culture TV. Features scenes from Scope, Brazil Art Fair, Art Miami, Art Basel Miami Beach, Fluresent Pop-Up, Aqau, Perez Art Museum Miami, Context, Spectrum, Miami Project, Red Dot, LMNT – Tom Dash, Sagamore Brunch, Pop-Up Piano, Wynwood Walls and Fusion Art Fair.
Cathy Leff announced she’s stepping down as director of The Wolfsonian-FIU after 17 years on April 1, 2014 to begin an appointment as a senior fellow with the university through September 2015. wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Julian Schnabel leaves his mark in Brickell and Smash & Grab for Locust Projects
- Meet dozens of local artists Saturday at The Fountainhead Studios in Little Haiti
- Pérez Art Museum Miami mounts colorful solo show from Brazilian painter Beatriz Milhazes
- Accessible Art: Unscripted Bal Harbour hosts New York-based artist David Brooks and new exhibitions at ArtCenter/South Florida
- Accessible Art: Street art and technology at III Points Festival with Abstrk and on-demand shipping comes to Miami for Art Basel
- Muse of the Month: Artist James B. Clover
- Accessible Art: Miami graffiti artist Jona Cerwinske transforms lounge at Katsuya and 'Untitled' art fair announces partnership with Curiator
- Miami artist, architects win design competition for new park in Wynwood
- MOCA Reopens on Thursday
- Accessible Art: Artists wanted for Faena Prize for the Arts and FAU presents “Common Ground: Artists in the Everglades”