Accessible Art: See acclaimed portrait of Pope Francis, plan for YoungArts Week, and relive Art Basel
Extended dates for Bryan Drury's solo-exhbition in South Beach, YoungArts throws a week-long celebration, and watch highlights from Art Basel fairs and Miami Art Week events
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Painter Bryan Drury’s, “Supernatural: Religious, Theological & Spiritual Leaders,” is on view through January 24 at the Dean Project (1629 & 1627 Jefferson Ave. at Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach). Included in the sold-out exhibition is the artist’s portrait of Pope Francis, which printed on the inside cover of Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” issue on Dec. 15. Eight oil paintings (seven portraits, including the Pope, and one natural world painting) as well as one pencil drawing are on display. Open to the public: Tuesday to Saturday from 2 – 7 p.m. deanproject.com or 786-238-7075.
The National YoungArts Foundation celebrates YoungArts Week with a series of events for students and the public, Jan. 6 - 12. Monday – Thursday concerts and performances start at 8 p.m. each night at New World Center, Miami Beach; tickets $10. Friday’s events start at 6 p.m. at the YoungArts Campus. Prices range from free - $10. Complete schedule: youngarts.org or 800-970-ARTS.
“Design Now + Design Features,” a discussion with Frank Gehry, world-renowned architect and designer of the master plan for the new campus, is 10 a.m. Sunday with Zaha Hadid and Paola Antonelli. YoungArts Campus, 2100 Biscayne Blvd. Miami; free with RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-377-1140. Space is extremely limited.
If you didn’t make it to Art Basel or if you burned out before you saw it all, watch this video essay by Arts and Culture TV. Features scenes from Scope, Brazil Art Fair, Art Miami, Art Basel Miami Beach, Fluresent Pop-Up, Aqau, Perez Art Museum Miami, Context, Spectrum, Miami Project, Red Dot, LMNT – Tom Dash, Sagamore Brunch, Pop-Up Piano, Wynwood Walls and Fusion Art Fair.
Cathy Leff announced she’s stepping down as director of The Wolfsonian-FIU after 17 years on April 1, 2014 to begin an appointment as a senior fellow with the university through September 2015. wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Acclaimed sculptor El Anatsui takes over the Bass Museum of Art, Miami artist Bhakti Baxter explores geometry at Gallery Diet, Virginia Overton and Wangechi Mutu exhibits open simultaneously at MOCA, ArtCenter/South Florida celebrates 30th
- HistoryMiami street art exhibit is hot, hot, hot in downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: University of Miami graduate student Carolyn Kay Chema unveils “Curiosities” in Wynwood, explore PAMM for free on Saturday, see photography by Mary Ellen Mark in Coral Gables, and get tickets for Locust Projects' Spring Fling
- ‘ArtScape’ highlights art scene in Miami Beach’s Collins Park neighborhood
- Muse of the month: Artist Agustina Woodgate
- Accessible Art: Celebrations at Frost Art Museum, Machine Project video screening at PAMM, open call for high school students and MFA candidates at Locust Projects, and sign your kids up for a summer of art in Fort Lauderdale
- Young painter Kai Guetta depicts iconic rappers as royalty for solo exhibition at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Antonia Wright stuns at Spinello Projects, apply for funds from FEAST Miami, enjoy graffiti at HistoryMiami, and see a Miami Herald photojournalist's retrospective
- Local writer sets up Bookleggers mobile library in Everglades National Park to give away books during AIRIE residency
- Wolfsonian-FIU's Power of Design 'gripe fest' focuses on solutions for Miami