Accessible Art: See acclaimed portrait of Pope Francis, plan for YoungArts Week, and relive Art Basel
Extended dates for Bryan Drury's solo-exhbition in South Beach, YoungArts throws a week-long celebration, and watch highlights from Art Basel fairs and Miami Art Week events
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Painter Bryan Drury’s, “Supernatural: Religious, Theological & Spiritual Leaders,” is on view through January 24 at the Dean Project (1629 & 1627 Jefferson Ave. at Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach). Included in the sold-out exhibition is the artist’s portrait of Pope Francis, which printed on the inside cover of Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” issue on Dec. 15. Eight oil paintings (seven portraits, including the Pope, and one natural world painting) as well as one pencil drawing are on display. Open to the public: Tuesday to Saturday from 2 – 7 p.m. deanproject.com or 786-238-7075.
The National YoungArts Foundation celebrates YoungArts Week with a series of events for students and the public, Jan. 6 - 12. Monday – Thursday concerts and performances start at 8 p.m. each night at New World Center, Miami Beach; tickets $10. Friday’s events start at 6 p.m. at the YoungArts Campus. Prices range from free - $10. Complete schedule: youngarts.org or 800-970-ARTS.
“Design Now + Design Features,” a discussion with Frank Gehry, world-renowned architect and designer of the master plan for the new campus, is 10 a.m. Sunday with Zaha Hadid and Paola Antonelli. YoungArts Campus, 2100 Biscayne Blvd. Miami; free with RSVP to email@example.com or 305-377-1140. Space is extremely limited.
If you didn’t make it to Art Basel or if you burned out before you saw it all, watch this video essay by Arts and Culture TV. Features scenes from Scope, Brazil Art Fair, Art Miami, Art Basel Miami Beach, Fluresent Pop-Up, Aqau, Perez Art Museum Miami, Context, Spectrum, Miami Project, Red Dot, LMNT – Tom Dash, Sagamore Brunch, Pop-Up Piano, Wynwood Walls and Fusion Art Fair.
Cathy Leff announced she’s stepping down as director of The Wolfsonian-FIU after 17 years on April 1, 2014 to begin an appointment as a senior fellow with the university through September 2015. wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Fontainebleau Miami Beach unveils The Frank Sinatra Photo Gallery and photographer Cendino Temé's work is on view at the Black Archives
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14