Accessible Art: See acclaimed portrait of Pope Francis, plan for YoungArts Week, and relive Art Basel
Extended dates for Bryan Drury's solo-exhbition in South Beach, YoungArts throws a week-long celebration, and watch highlights from Art Basel fairs and Miami Art Week events
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Painter Bryan Drury’s, “Supernatural: Religious, Theological & Spiritual Leaders,” is on view through January 24 at the Dean Project (1629 & 1627 Jefferson Ave. at Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach). Included in the sold-out exhibition is the artist’s portrait of Pope Francis, which printed on the inside cover of Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” issue on Dec. 15. Eight oil paintings (seven portraits, including the Pope, and one natural world painting) as well as one pencil drawing are on display. Open to the public: Tuesday to Saturday from 2 – 7 p.m. deanproject.com or 786-238-7075.
The National YoungArts Foundation celebrates YoungArts Week with a series of events for students and the public, Jan. 6 - 12. Monday – Thursday concerts and performances start at 8 p.m. each night at New World Center, Miami Beach; tickets $10. Friday’s events start at 6 p.m. at the YoungArts Campus. Prices range from free - $10. Complete schedule: youngarts.org or 800-970-ARTS.
“Design Now + Design Features,” a discussion with Frank Gehry, world-renowned architect and designer of the master plan for the new campus, is 10 a.m. Sunday with Zaha Hadid and Paola Antonelli. YoungArts Campus, 2100 Biscayne Blvd. Miami; free with RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-377-1140. Space is extremely limited.
If you didn’t make it to Art Basel or if you burned out before you saw it all, watch this video essay by Arts and Culture TV. Features scenes from Scope, Brazil Art Fair, Art Miami, Art Basel Miami Beach, Fluresent Pop-Up, Aqau, Perez Art Museum Miami, Context, Spectrum, Miami Project, Red Dot, LMNT – Tom Dash, Sagamore Brunch, Pop-Up Piano, Wynwood Walls and Fusion Art Fair.
Cathy Leff announced she’s stepping down as director of The Wolfsonian-FIU after 17 years on April 1, 2014 to begin an appointment as a senior fellow with the university through September 2015. wolfsonian.org.
- 6 things you can't miss at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival and Art Wynwood (plus a bonus event!)
- 5 best art events this week
- Accessible Art: Spinello Projects unveils Farley Aguilar show and 'Zionismus' opens with the Consul General of Germany at MDC
- Accessible Art: Sacred mandalas at Coral Springs Museum of Art and The Art of Video Games at the Frost
- Accessible Art: Art and architecture in San Miguel de Allende and new paintings by Brandon "Wizz Dumb" Deener
- Accessible Art: Village of Biscayne Park launches sculpture competition and YogArt rocks the Miami Design District
- Accessible Art: Contemporary French artists at France Pavilion and the GMCVB presents Art of Black Miami
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center unveils Kenny Scharf print for 10@10 and a Jeff Koons sculpture arrives at Bal Harbour Shops
- Accessible Art: The Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU seeks nominees for Breaking the Glass Ceiling Awards and Yo Miami presents "Body & Soul"
- Accessible Art: Nari Ward retrospective opens at PAMM and The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood unveils five new exhibits