Accessible Art: See acclaimed portrait of Pope Francis, plan for YoungArts Week, and relive Art Basel
Extended dates for Bryan Drury's solo-exhbition in South Beach, YoungArts throws a week-long celebration, and watch highlights from Art Basel fairs and Miami Art Week events
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Painter Bryan Drury’s, “Supernatural: Religious, Theological & Spiritual Leaders,” is on view through January 24 at the Dean Project (1629 & 1627 Jefferson Ave. at Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach). Included in the sold-out exhibition is the artist’s portrait of Pope Francis, which printed on the inside cover of Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” issue on Dec. 15. Eight oil paintings (seven portraits, including the Pope, and one natural world painting) as well as one pencil drawing are on display. Open to the public: Tuesday to Saturday from 2 – 7 p.m. deanproject.com or 786-238-7075.
The National YoungArts Foundation celebrates YoungArts Week with a series of events for students and the public, Jan. 6 - 12. Monday – Thursday concerts and performances start at 8 p.m. each night at New World Center, Miami Beach; tickets $10. Friday’s events start at 6 p.m. at the YoungArts Campus. Prices range from free - $10. Complete schedule: youngarts.org or 800-970-ARTS.
“Design Now + Design Features,” a discussion with Frank Gehry, world-renowned architect and designer of the master plan for the new campus, is 10 a.m. Sunday with Zaha Hadid and Paola Antonelli. YoungArts Campus, 2100 Biscayne Blvd. Miami; free with RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-377-1140. Space is extremely limited.
If you didn’t make it to Art Basel or if you burned out before you saw it all, watch this video essay by Arts and Culture TV. Features scenes from Scope, Brazil Art Fair, Art Miami, Art Basel Miami Beach, Fluresent Pop-Up, Aqau, Perez Art Museum Miami, Context, Spectrum, Miami Project, Red Dot, LMNT – Tom Dash, Sagamore Brunch, Pop-Up Piano, Wynwood Walls and Fusion Art Fair.
Cathy Leff announced she’s stepping down as director of The Wolfsonian-FIU after 17 years on April 1, 2014 to begin an appointment as a senior fellow with the university through September 2015. wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Author Beth Dunlop surveys 21st century Miami architecture, take a private tour of Tracey Emin's exhibit at MOCA followed by a street art expedition with Brandon Opalka, and famous graffiti artists show in Wynwood
- Muse of the month: Haitian-born, Miami-based artist Edouard Duval-Carrié
- R House is a restaurant — and an art gallery — in Wynwood
- At ArtCenter/South Florida show, eroticism and gender identity blur
- Accessible Art: Contemporary art gallery opens in Hallandale Beach, Miami Dade College Museum of Art + Design’s expansive permanent collection is on display, and William Glackens in Fort Lauderdale
- Accessible Art: Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) kicks off new book club, DesignMiami/ announces new leadership, artists explore gender and power at the ArtCenter/South Florida, and RACE at the Museum of Science
- Local artist smashes $1 million Ai Weiwei vase on exhibit at Miami’s Pérez Art Museum
- Art Attack: Art festivals take over Miami this weekend
- Is the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) merging with the Bass Museum of Art?
- Accessible Art: Miami Art Museums Alliance hosts ARTtuesdays, learn about Caravaggio at Miami Biennale, see Carrie Sieh at the Bakehouse Art Complex, and bid on Banksy in Wynwood