Accessible Art: See acclaimed portrait of Pope Francis, plan for YoungArts Week, and relive Art Basel
Extended dates for Bryan Drury's solo-exhbition in South Beach, YoungArts throws a week-long celebration, and watch highlights from Art Basel fairs and Miami Art Week events
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Painter Bryan Drury’s, “Supernatural: Religious, Theological & Spiritual Leaders,” is on view through January 24 at the Dean Project (1629 & 1627 Jefferson Ave. at Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach). Included in the sold-out exhibition is the artist’s portrait of Pope Francis, which printed on the inside cover of Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” issue on Dec. 15. Eight oil paintings (seven portraits, including the Pope, and one natural world painting) as well as one pencil drawing are on display. Open to the public: Tuesday to Saturday from 2 – 7 p.m. deanproject.com or 786-238-7075.
The National YoungArts Foundation celebrates YoungArts Week with a series of events for students and the public, Jan. 6 - 12. Monday – Thursday concerts and performances start at 8 p.m. each night at New World Center, Miami Beach; tickets $10. Friday’s events start at 6 p.m. at the YoungArts Campus. Prices range from free - $10. Complete schedule: youngarts.org or 800-970-ARTS.
“Design Now + Design Features,” a discussion with Frank Gehry, world-renowned architect and designer of the master plan for the new campus, is 10 a.m. Sunday with Zaha Hadid and Paola Antonelli. YoungArts Campus, 2100 Biscayne Blvd. Miami; free with RSVP to email@example.com or 305-377-1140. Space is extremely limited.
If you didn’t make it to Art Basel or if you burned out before you saw it all, watch this video essay by Arts and Culture TV. Features scenes from Scope, Brazil Art Fair, Art Miami, Art Basel Miami Beach, Fluresent Pop-Up, Aqau, Perez Art Museum Miami, Context, Spectrum, Miami Project, Red Dot, LMNT – Tom Dash, Sagamore Brunch, Pop-Up Piano, Wynwood Walls and Fusion Art Fair.
Cathy Leff announced she’s stepping down as director of The Wolfsonian-FIU after 17 years on April 1, 2014 to begin an appointment as a senior fellow with the university through September 2015. wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Compelling new works at Emerson Dorsch Gallery and Broward Cultural Division’s major call to artists
- For art aficionados, a new Wynwood emerges to the north
- Accessible Art: Ruth and Marvin Sackner awarded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and Jorge Blanco exhibits at O. Ascanio Gallery in Wynwood
- Artist Daniel Arsham predicts the future at Locust Projects
- Accessible Art: Meetinghouse gallery opens downtown, Curators come together at the Bass Museum, and Seth Browarnik's photography reveals the art of rum-making
- Rediscover 'The Lost Art of Letter Writing' at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Scholl Lecture Series at PAMM welcomes NY artist Gary Simmons and an 'Urban MATERs' anti-gala fundraiser pops up in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Prominent collector Martin Z. Margulies shares photography archives at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and Sebastiao Salgado tackles preservation at Dina Mitrani Gallery in Wynwood
- Buying art is just the first step. You have to make it last.
- Adrian Grenier and partner bring sustainable design to Miami