Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Untitled from Brazil
São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled,” from the series “Papeis Avulsos,” with a free opening reception 7 – 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 16 at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Vinci's installations examine historical modernist and avant-garde movements in Brazil through the use of unusual materials like marble dust; frozen electrical tubes; glass bowls filled with water and metal piping or suspended sheets of paper. The exhibition is on view through Sept. 7. 305-674-8278 or ArtCenter/South Florida.
South Florida history
The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend” at the museum Saturday and again July 20 with activities exploring the area’s rich cultural history on the “Time-Traveling Railroad" with stops such as A Ghost Talk, The Myths of South F-LORE-ida, and a Stranahan House documentary. The event happens from noon – 4 p.m. both days. In addition, a limited three-day engagement of the IMAX 3D© film “D-Day: Normandy 1944” begins Friday and runs through July 20. For show times, visit www.mods.org/IMAX/showtimes.htm. Combo tickets (history exhibits and IMAX) are $19 for adults; $18 for seniors (65+); and, $15 for children (2-12). The museum is located at 401 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-713-0930 or mods.org.
Colors in Wynwood
New York-based artist and attorney Lisa Beth Older shares her colorful abstract paintings with Wynwood in an exhibition titled “Colors” at Henrique Souza's House of Art gallery through Aug. 31 at 415(B) NW 26th St., Miami; 786-703-5094, 646-320-4171 or houseofart.co.
- Learn how to sketch at The Wolfsonian-FIU museum in South Beach
- Accessible Art: Celebrate Women's History Month with art in Opa-locka and see new murals by Brazilian artist Rubem Robierb in Fort Lauderdale
- Final formal exhibit at ArtCenter on Miami Beach begins this weekend
- Pérez Art Museum Miami's new monthly party series: 'PAMM Third Thursdays: Poplife Social'
- Accessible Art: Karla Caprali solo show at the Bakehouse in Wynwood and Broward's call to artists for the Dillard Green Space
- Accessible Art: The Art of Patron competition launches and The Wolfsonian hosts an arts and craft beer party
- Art Review: ‘Pastures Green, & Dark Satanic Mills: The British Passion for Landscape’ at the Norton Museum of Art
- Accessible Art: Art and Nature in a Manufactured Era at UM and the impact of WWI on American culture at The Wolfsonian-FIU
- Bakehouse Art Complex introduces Wynwood Green & Art Market, the neighborhood's first farmers market
- Accessible Art: Mexican masterworks featuring Frida Kahlo at NSU Museum of Art and Tameka Norris' 'Recovery' at Emerson Dorsch