Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Untitled from Brazil
São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled,” from the series “Papeis Avulsos,” with a free opening reception 7 – 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 16 at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Vinci's installations examine historical modernist and avant-garde movements in Brazil through the use of unusual materials like marble dust; frozen electrical tubes; glass bowls filled with water and metal piping or suspended sheets of paper. The exhibition is on view through Sept. 7. 305-674-8278 or ArtCenter/South Florida.
South Florida history
The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend” at the museum Saturday and again July 20 with activities exploring the area’s rich cultural history on the “Time-Traveling Railroad" with stops such as A Ghost Talk, The Myths of South F-LORE-ida, and a Stranahan House documentary. The event happens from noon – 4 p.m. both days. In addition, a limited three-day engagement of the IMAX 3D© film “D-Day: Normandy 1944” begins Friday and runs through July 20. For show times, visit www.mods.org/IMAX/showtimes.htm. Combo tickets (history exhibits and IMAX) are $19 for adults; $18 for seniors (65+); and, $15 for children (2-12). The museum is located at 401 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-713-0930 or mods.org.
Colors in Wynwood
New York-based artist and attorney Lisa Beth Older shares her colorful abstract paintings with Wynwood in an exhibition titled “Colors” at Henrique Souza's House of Art gallery through Aug. 31 at 415(B) NW 26th St., Miami; 786-703-5094, 646-320-4171 or houseofart.co.
- Bakehouse Art Complex introduces Wynwood Green & Art Market, the neighborhood's first farmers market
- Accessible Art: Mexican masterworks featuring Frida Kahlo at NSU Museum of Art and Tameka Norris' 'Recovery' at Emerson Dorsch
- Accessible Art: Chinese artist Xu Bing at Frost Art Museum and Life is Art's mixer for emerging artists and grant makers
- Art Review: Peter Marino ‘One Way’ at Miami Beach’s Bass Museum
- Accessible Art: MDC Museum of Art + Design’s Director’s Previews, Art/Tuesdays hosts 'Galleries Under Fire' panel discussion, and a street and urban art auction
- On view now: Group exhibitions at ICA Miami and Primary Projects
- Accessible Art: Federico Uribe talks business for breakfast and William Sweetlove's animal sculptures come to Miami Ironside
- Accessible Art: Knight Arts Challenge hosts kickoff at Gramps and works by Red Wolf pop up at Kelley Roy Gallery
- 5 reasons why we’re excited about the new Vagabond Restaurant & Bar
- AIRIE in the Garden supports 'Wild Billboards'