Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Untitled from Brazil
São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled,” from the series “Papeis Avulsos,” with a free opening reception 7 – 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 16 at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Vinci's installations examine historical modernist and avant-garde movements in Brazil through the use of unusual materials like marble dust; frozen electrical tubes; glass bowls filled with water and metal piping or suspended sheets of paper. The exhibition is on view through Sept. 7. 305-674-8278 or ArtCenter/South Florida.
South Florida history
The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend” at the museum Saturday and again July 20 with activities exploring the area’s rich cultural history on the “Time-Traveling Railroad" with stops such as A Ghost Talk, The Myths of South F-LORE-ida, and a Stranahan House documentary. The event happens from noon – 4 p.m. both days. In addition, a limited three-day engagement of the IMAX 3D© film “D-Day: Normandy 1944” begins Friday and runs through July 20. For show times, visit www.mods.org/IMAX/showtimes.htm. Combo tickets (history exhibits and IMAX) are $19 for adults; $18 for seniors (65+); and, $15 for children (2-12). The museum is located at 401 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-713-0930 or mods.org.
Colors in Wynwood
New York-based artist and attorney Lisa Beth Older shares her colorful abstract paintings with Wynwood in an exhibition titled “Colors” at Henrique Souza's House of Art gallery through Aug. 31 at 415(B) NW 26th St., Miami; 786-703-5094, 646-320-4171 or houseofart.co.
- Accessible Art: Fashion Project focuses on next phase at Bal Harbour Shops and a Purvis Young show opens in Kendall
- Accessible Art: Hialeah unveils new arts district and New World School of the Arts spotlights graduating class
- How to enjoy Maison & Objet if you're not a design professional
- Accessible Art: Henrietta Harris exhibits at Robert Fontaine Gallery and ICA, Miami unveils Guccivuitton group show
- Accessible Art: Be a part of Broward's Inside Out Project and see Scandinavian design in South Miami
- Accessible Art: Prized Picasso pieces on display at NSU Art Museum and Bass Museum of Art announces temporary closure
- Paint-by-Number: How Miami artist Magnus Sodamin created 'Infinity Split'
- Wynwood Life: Art, Food, Fashion, Music
- Accessible Art: Nicolas Lobo's The Leisure Pit opens at PAMM and Cuban artist Sandra Ramos exhibits at Tub Gallery
- Accessible Art: John Sanchez and Jean-Paul Mallozzi unveil show in Hallandale Beach and Fashion Project FP01 opens experimental pop-up at Bal Harbour Shops