Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Untitled from Brazil
São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled,” from the series “Papeis Avulsos,” with a free opening reception 7 – 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 16 at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Vinci's installations examine historical modernist and avant-garde movements in Brazil through the use of unusual materials like marble dust; frozen electrical tubes; glass bowls filled with water and metal piping or suspended sheets of paper. The exhibition is on view through Sept. 7. 305-674-8278 or ArtCenter/South Florida.
South Florida history
The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend” at the museum Saturday and again July 20 with activities exploring the area’s rich cultural history on the “Time-Traveling Railroad" with stops such as A Ghost Talk, The Myths of South F-LORE-ida, and a Stranahan House documentary. The event happens from noon – 4 p.m. both days. In addition, a limited three-day engagement of the IMAX 3D© film “D-Day: Normandy 1944” begins Friday and runs through July 20. For show times, visit www.mods.org/IMAX/showtimes.htm. Combo tickets (history exhibits and IMAX) are $19 for adults; $18 for seniors (65+); and, $15 for children (2-12). The museum is located at 401 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-713-0930 or mods.org.
Colors in Wynwood
New York-based artist and attorney Lisa Beth Older shares her colorful abstract paintings with Wynwood in an exhibition titled “Colors” at Henrique Souza's House of Art gallery through Aug. 31 at 415(B) NW 26th St., Miami; 786-703-5094, 646-320-4171 or houseofart.co.
- 6 things you can't miss at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival and Art Wynwood (plus a bonus event!)
- 5 best art events this week
- Accessible Art: Spinello Projects unveils Farley Aguilar show and 'Zionismus' opens with the Consul General of Germany at MDC
- Accessible Art: Sacred mandalas at Coral Springs Museum of Art and The Art of Video Games at the Frost
- Accessible Art: Art and architecture in San Miguel de Allende and new paintings by Brandon "Wizz Dumb" Deener
- Accessible Art: Village of Biscayne Park launches sculpture competition and YogArt rocks the Miami Design District
- Accessible Art: Contemporary French artists at France Pavilion and the GMCVB presents Art of Black Miami
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center unveils Kenny Scharf print for 10@10 and a Jeff Koons sculpture arrives at Bal Harbour Shops
- Accessible Art: The Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU seeks nominees for Breaking the Glass Ceiling Awards and Yo Miami presents "Body & Soul"
- Accessible Art: Nari Ward retrospective opens at PAMM and The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood unveils five new exhibits