Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Untitled from Brazil
São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled,” from the series “Papeis Avulsos,” with a free opening reception 7 – 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 16 at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Vinci's installations examine historical modernist and avant-garde movements in Brazil through the use of unusual materials like marble dust; frozen electrical tubes; glass bowls filled with water and metal piping or suspended sheets of paper. The exhibition is on view through Sept. 7. 305-674-8278 or ArtCenter/South Florida.
South Florida history
The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend” at the museum Saturday and again July 20 with activities exploring the area’s rich cultural history on the “Time-Traveling Railroad" with stops such as A Ghost Talk, The Myths of South F-LORE-ida, and a Stranahan House documentary. The event happens from noon – 4 p.m. both days. In addition, a limited three-day engagement of the IMAX 3D© film “D-Day: Normandy 1944” begins Friday and runs through July 20. For show times, visit www.mods.org/IMAX/showtimes.htm. Combo tickets (history exhibits and IMAX) are $19 for adults; $18 for seniors (65+); and, $15 for children (2-12). The museum is located at 401 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-713-0930 or mods.org.
Colors in Wynwood
New York-based artist and attorney Lisa Beth Older shares her colorful abstract paintings with Wynwood in an exhibition titled “Colors” at Henrique Souza's House of Art gallery through Aug. 31 at 415(B) NW 26th St., Miami; 786-703-5094, 646-320-4171 or houseofart.co.
- Accessible Art: The Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU seeks nominees for Breaking the Glass Ceiling Awards and Yo Miami presents "Body & Soul"
- Accessible Art: Nari Ward retrospective opens at PAMM and The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood unveils five new exhibits
- Accessible Art: DCOTA in Dania Beach hosts interior design expo and ArtSpace/Virginia Miller Galleries celebrates 42nd season
- Accessible Art: The Art of Transformation kicks off in Opa-locka and Winter Park's Art on the Green spotlights seven Miami artists
- Accessible Art: A sleepover at PAMM and Katsuya unveils Japanese-inspired mural by Jose Mertz
- NEWT Miami: Experiments in Light, Color & Sound debuts in November
- Accessible Art: A Benjamin Cañas show at New World Gallery and #Saveartspace announces open call
- Accessible Art: Advance tickets go on sale for Science Art Cinema: Fear and Philodendron opens at The Wolfsonian-FIU
- Accessible Art: Faena Art Open Call and new exhibits at Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Indestructible Lee Miller opens at NSU Art Museum and Bass Museum of Art launches bassX with Rachel Harrison