Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Untitled from Brazil
São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled,” from the series “Papeis Avulsos,” with a free opening reception 7 – 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 16 at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Vinci's installations examine historical modernist and avant-garde movements in Brazil through the use of unusual materials like marble dust; frozen electrical tubes; glass bowls filled with water and metal piping or suspended sheets of paper. The exhibition is on view through Sept. 7. 305-674-8278 or ArtCenter/South Florida.
South Florida history
The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend” at the museum Saturday and again July 20 with activities exploring the area’s rich cultural history on the “Time-Traveling Railroad" with stops such as A Ghost Talk, The Myths of South F-LORE-ida, and a Stranahan House documentary. The event happens from noon – 4 p.m. both days. In addition, a limited three-day engagement of the IMAX 3D© film “D-Day: Normandy 1944” begins Friday and runs through July 20. For show times, visit www.mods.org/IMAX/showtimes.htm. Combo tickets (history exhibits and IMAX) are $19 for adults; $18 for seniors (65+); and, $15 for children (2-12). The museum is located at 401 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-713-0930 or mods.org.
Colors in Wynwood
New York-based artist and attorney Lisa Beth Older shares her colorful abstract paintings with Wynwood in an exhibition titled “Colors” at Henrique Souza's House of Art gallery through Aug. 31 at 415(B) NW 26th St., Miami; 786-703-5094, 646-320-4171 or houseofart.co.
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14
- Accessible Art: Pembroke Pines presents 'Caribbean Life' and local artist Pepe Calderin at The Cornell Museum of Art and American Culture
- Accessible Art: The Cultivist launches a global arts club and Cara Despain exhibits at the Bakehouse Art Complex
- Accessible Art: River of Art in Opa-locka and NPR's Neda Ulaby speaks at ArtServe
- Purvis Young collection gifted to The Black Archives in Overtown
- Inside|Out placemaking program takes art to the streets in Miami