Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Untitled from Brazil
São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled,” from the series “Papeis Avulsos,” with a free opening reception 7 – 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 16 at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Vinci's installations examine historical modernist and avant-garde movements in Brazil through the use of unusual materials like marble dust; frozen electrical tubes; glass bowls filled with water and metal piping or suspended sheets of paper. The exhibition is on view through Sept. 7. 305-674-8278 or ArtCenter/South Florida.
South Florida history
The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend” at the museum Saturday and again July 20 with activities exploring the area’s rich cultural history on the “Time-Traveling Railroad" with stops such as A Ghost Talk, The Myths of South F-LORE-ida, and a Stranahan House documentary. The event happens from noon – 4 p.m. both days. In addition, a limited three-day engagement of the IMAX 3D© film “D-Day: Normandy 1944” begins Friday and runs through July 20. For show times, visit www.mods.org/IMAX/showtimes.htm. Combo tickets (history exhibits and IMAX) are $19 for adults; $18 for seniors (65+); and, $15 for children (2-12). The museum is located at 401 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; 954-713-0930 or mods.org.
Colors in Wynwood
New York-based artist and attorney Lisa Beth Older shares her colorful abstract paintings with Wynwood in an exhibition titled “Colors” at Henrique Souza's House of Art gallery through Aug. 31 at 415(B) NW 26th St., Miami; 786-703-5094, 646-320-4171 or houseofart.co.
- Accessible Art: Julian Schnabel leaves his mark in Brickell and Smash & Grab for Locust Projects
- Meet dozens of local artists Saturday at The Fountainhead Studios in Little Haiti
- Pérez Art Museum Miami mounts colorful solo show from Brazilian painter Beatriz Milhazes
- Accessible Art: Unscripted Bal Harbour hosts New York-based artist David Brooks and new exhibitions at ArtCenter/South Florida
- Accessible Art: Street art and technology at III Points Festival with Abstrk and on-demand shipping comes to Miami for Art Basel
- Muse of the Month: Artist James B. Clover
- Accessible Art: Miami graffiti artist Jona Cerwinske transforms lounge at Katsuya and 'Untitled' art fair announces partnership with Curiator
- Miami artist, architects win design competition for new park in Wynwood
- MOCA Reopens on Thursday
- Accessible Art: Artists wanted for Faena Prize for the Arts and FAU presents “Common Ground: Artists in the Everglades”