Accessible Art: Powerful polaroids take over the Norton Museum of Art, a dual exhibition opens at Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood, and catch a free Italian flick at the Wolfsonian
The history of the polaroid through the lens of Chuck Close, Andy Warhol and others in West Palm, Second Saturday at Dorsch Gallery, and Italy at the end of WWII is on the big screen
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Nostalgia at the Norton
Polaroid pictures by 40 acclaimed artists spanning the period from the release of the SX-70 camera in 1972 through present day are on display at the Norton Museum of Art until March 23. “The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation” includes photos by Ansel Adams, Ellen Carey, Chuck Close, David Hockney, Robert Mapplethorpe and Andy Warhol. Free for members and children 12 & under, $12 for adults and $5 for students. 1451 S Olive Ave., West Palm Beach; norton.org.
New at Dorsch
The opening reception for “Beatriz Monteavaro: Ouroboros & Sara Woolfalk: Chimera” at Emerson Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood is Saturday, Jan. 11 from 6 – 9 p.m. While the shared origins of the exhibition titles (named after fire-breathing creatures) are coincidental, they express the synchronicity of the two artists: for Monteavaro, apocalyptic future; for Woolfalk, imaginary utopia. On view until Feb. 21. 151 NW 24th St., Ste. A, Miami; emersondorsch.com.
Free Italian Flick
The Wolfsonian-FIU presents a free screening of La Seconda Notte di Nozze (The Second Wedding), a 2005 film about a family in Italy at the end of WWII. In Italian with English subtitles. Friday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. 1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-531-1001 or wolfsonian.org.
- Art Review: ‘Pastures Green, & Dark Satanic Mills: The British Passion for Landscape’ at the Norton Museum of Art
- Accessible Art: Art and Nature in a Manufactured Era at UM and the impact of WWI on American culture at The Wolfsonian-FIU
- Bakehouse Art Complex introduces Wynwood Green & Art Market, the neighborhood's first farmers market
- Accessible Art: Mexican masterworks featuring Frida Kahlo at NSU Museum of Art and Tameka Norris' 'Recovery' at Emerson Dorsch
- Accessible Art: Chinese artist Xu Bing at Frost Art Museum and Life is Art's mixer for emerging artists and grant makers
- Art Review: Peter Marino ‘One Way’ at Miami Beach’s Bass Museum
- Accessible Art: MDC Museum of Art + Design’s Director’s Previews, Art/Tuesdays hosts 'Galleries Under Fire' panel discussion, and a street and urban art auction
- On view now: Group exhibitions at ICA Miami and Primary Projects
- Accessible Art: Federico Uribe talks business for breakfast and William Sweetlove's animal sculptures come to Miami Ironside
- Accessible Art: Knight Arts Challenge hosts kickoff at Gramps and works by Red Wolf pop up at Kelley Roy Gallery