Accessible Art: Powerful polaroids take over the Norton Museum of Art, a dual exhibition opens at Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood, and catch a free Italian flick at the Wolfsonian
The history of the polaroid through the lens of Chuck Close, Andy Warhol and others in West Palm, Second Saturday at Dorsch Gallery, and Italy at the end of WWII is on the big screen
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Nostalgia at the Norton
Polaroid pictures by 40 acclaimed artists spanning the period from the release of the SX-70 camera in 1972 through present day are on display at the Norton Museum of Art until March 23. “The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation” includes photos by Ansel Adams, Ellen Carey, Chuck Close, David Hockney, Robert Mapplethorpe and Andy Warhol. Free for members and children 12 & under, $12 for adults and $5 for students. 1451 S Olive Ave., West Palm Beach; norton.org.
New at Dorsch
The opening reception for “Beatriz Monteavaro: Ouroboros & Sara Woolfalk: Chimera” at Emerson Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood is Saturday, Jan. 11 from 6 – 9 p.m. While the shared origins of the exhibition titles (named after fire-breathing creatures) are coincidental, they express the synchronicity of the two artists: for Monteavaro, apocalyptic future; for Woolfalk, imaginary utopia. On view until Feb. 21. 151 NW 24th St., Ste. A, Miami; emersondorsch.com.
Free Italian Flick
The Wolfsonian-FIU presents a free screening of La Seconda Notte di Nozze (The Second Wedding), a 2005 film about a family in Italy at the end of WWII. In Italian with English subtitles. Friday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. 1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-531-1001 or wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Spinello Projects unveils Farley Aguilar show and 'Zionismus' opens with the Consul General of Germany at MDC
- Accessible Art: Sacred mandalas at Coral Springs Museum of Art and The Art of Video Games at the Frost
- Accessible Art: Art and architecture in San Miguel de Allende and new paintings by Brandon "Wizz Dumb" Deener
- Accessible Art: Village of Biscayne Park launches sculpture competition and YogArt rocks the Miami Design District
- Accessible Art: Contemporary French artists at France Pavilion and the GMCVB presents Art of Black Miami
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center unveils Kenny Scharf print for 10@10 and a Jeff Koons sculpture arrives at Bal Harbour Shops
- Accessible Art: The Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU seeks nominees for Breaking the Glass Ceiling Awards and Yo Miami presents "Body & Soul"
- Accessible Art: Nari Ward retrospective opens at PAMM and The Art and Culture Center of Hollywood unveils five new exhibits
- Accessible Art: DCOTA in Dania Beach hosts interior design expo and ArtSpace/Virginia Miller Galleries celebrates 42nd season
- Accessible Art: The Art of Transformation kicks off in Opa-locka and Winter Park's Art on the Green spotlights seven Miami artists