Accessible Art: Powerful polaroids take over the Norton Museum of Art, a dual exhibition opens at Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood, and catch a free Italian flick at the Wolfsonian
The history of the polaroid through the lens of Chuck Close, Andy Warhol and others in West Palm, Second Saturday at Dorsch Gallery, and Italy at the end of WWII is on the big screen
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Nostalgia at the Norton
Polaroid pictures by 40 acclaimed artists spanning the period from the release of the SX-70 camera in 1972 through present day are on display at the Norton Museum of Art until March 23. “The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation” includes photos by Ansel Adams, Ellen Carey, Chuck Close, David Hockney, Robert Mapplethorpe and Andy Warhol. Free for members and children 12 & under, $12 for adults and $5 for students. 1451 S Olive Ave., West Palm Beach; norton.org.
New at Dorsch
The opening reception for “Beatriz Monteavaro: Ouroboros & Sara Woolfalk: Chimera” at Emerson Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood is Saturday, Jan. 11 from 6 – 9 p.m. While the shared origins of the exhibition titles (named after fire-breathing creatures) are coincidental, they express the synchronicity of the two artists: for Monteavaro, apocalyptic future; for Woolfalk, imaginary utopia. On view until Feb. 21. 151 NW 24th St., Ste. A, Miami; emersondorsch.com.
Free Italian Flick
The Wolfsonian-FIU presents a free screening of La Seconda Notte di Nozze (The Second Wedding), a 2005 film about a family in Italy at the end of WWII. In Italian with English subtitles. Friday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. 1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-531-1001 or wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Acclaimed sculptor El Anatsui takes over the Bass Museum of Art, Miami artist Bhakti Baxter explores geometry at Gallery Diet, Virginia Overton and Wangechi Mutu exhibits open simultaneously at MOCA, ArtCenter/South Florida celebrates 30th
- HistoryMiami street art exhibit is hot, hot, hot in downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: University of Miami graduate student Carolyn Kay Chema unveils “Curiosities” in Wynwood, explore PAMM for free on Saturday, see photography by Mary Ellen Mark in Coral Gables, and get tickets for Locust Projects' Spring Fling
- ‘ArtScape’ highlights art scene in Miami Beach’s Collins Park neighborhood
- Muse of the month: Artist Agustina Woodgate
- Accessible Art: Celebrations at Frost Art Museum, Machine Project video screening at PAMM, open call for high school students and MFA candidates at Locust Projects, and sign your kids up for a summer of art in Fort Lauderdale
- Young painter Kai Guetta depicts iconic rappers as royalty for solo exhibition at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Antonia Wright stuns at Spinello Projects, apply for funds from FEAST Miami, enjoy graffiti at HistoryMiami, and see a Miami Herald photojournalist's retrospective
- Local writer sets up Bookleggers mobile library in Everglades National Park to give away books during AIRIE residency
- Wolfsonian-FIU's Power of Design 'gripe fest' focuses on solutions for Miami