Accessible Art: Powerful polaroids take over the Norton Museum of Art, a dual exhibition opens at Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood, and catch a free Italian flick at the Wolfsonian
The history of the polaroid through the lens of Chuck Close, Andy Warhol and others in West Palm, Second Saturday at Dorsch Gallery, and Italy at the end of WWII is on the big screen
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Nostalgia at the Norton
Polaroid pictures by 40 acclaimed artists spanning the period from the release of the SX-70 camera in 1972 through present day are on display at the Norton Museum of Art until March 23. “The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation” includes photos by Ansel Adams, Ellen Carey, Chuck Close, David Hockney, Robert Mapplethorpe and Andy Warhol. Free for members and children 12 & under, $12 for adults and $5 for students. 1451 S Olive Ave., West Palm Beach; norton.org.
New at Dorsch
The opening reception for “Beatriz Monteavaro: Ouroboros & Sara Woolfalk: Chimera” at Emerson Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood is Saturday, Jan. 11 from 6 – 9 p.m. While the shared origins of the exhibition titles (named after fire-breathing creatures) are coincidental, they express the synchronicity of the two artists: for Monteavaro, apocalyptic future; for Woolfalk, imaginary utopia. On view until Feb. 21. 151 NW 24th St., Ste. A, Miami; emersondorsch.com.
Free Italian Flick
The Wolfsonian-FIU presents a free screening of La Seconda Notte di Nozze (The Second Wedding), a 2005 film about a family in Italy at the end of WWII. In Italian with English subtitles. Friday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. 1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-531-1001 or wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Fontainebleau Miami Beach unveils The Frank Sinatra Photo Gallery and photographer Cendino Temé's work is on view at the Black Archives
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14