Accessible Art: Powerful polaroids take over the Norton Museum of Art, a dual exhibition opens at Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood, and catch a free Italian flick at the Wolfsonian
The history of the polaroid through the lens of Chuck Close, Andy Warhol and others in West Palm, Second Saturday at Dorsch Gallery, and Italy at the end of WWII is on the big screen
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Nostalgia at the Norton
Polaroid pictures by 40 acclaimed artists spanning the period from the release of the SX-70 camera in 1972 through present day are on display at the Norton Museum of Art until March 23. “The Polaroid Years: Instant Photography and Experimentation” includes photos by Ansel Adams, Ellen Carey, Chuck Close, David Hockney, Robert Mapplethorpe and Andy Warhol. Free for members and children 12 & under, $12 for adults and $5 for students. 1451 S Olive Ave., West Palm Beach; norton.org.
New at Dorsch
The opening reception for “Beatriz Monteavaro: Ouroboros & Sara Woolfalk: Chimera” at Emerson Dorsch Gallery in Wynwood is Saturday, Jan. 11 from 6 – 9 p.m. While the shared origins of the exhibition titles (named after fire-breathing creatures) are coincidental, they express the synchronicity of the two artists: for Monteavaro, apocalyptic future; for Woolfalk, imaginary utopia. On view until Feb. 21. 151 NW 24th St., Ste. A, Miami; emersondorsch.com.
Free Italian Flick
The Wolfsonian-FIU presents a free screening of La Seconda Notte di Nozze (The Second Wedding), a 2005 film about a family in Italy at the end of WWII. In Italian with English subtitles. Friday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. 1001 Washington Ave., Miami Beach; 305-531-1001 or wolfsonian.org.
- Accessible Art: Be a part of Broward's Inside Out Project and see Scandinavian design in South Miami
- Accessible Art: Prized Picasso pieces on display at NSU Art Museum and Bass Museum of Art announces temporary closure
- Paint-by-Number: How Miami artist Magnus Sodamin created 'Infinity Split'
- Wynwood Life: Art, Food, Fashion, Music
- Accessible Art: Nicolas Lobo's The Leisure Pit opens at PAMM and Cuban artist Sandra Ramos exhibits at Tub Gallery
- Accessible Art: John Sanchez and Jean-Paul Mallozzi unveil show in Hallandale Beach and Fashion Project FP01 opens experimental pop-up at Bal Harbour Shops
- Could Miami become a buoyant city after all?
- Venezuelan pop artist Fer Sucre brings his colorful work to Wynwood
- Art Review: Vik Muniz's Poetics of Perception at the Lowe Art Museum
- Accessible Art: artist Joana Fischer explores overconsumption at the Bakehouse Art Complex and Deering Estate hosts Festival of the Arts