Accessible Art: Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) kicks off new book club, DesignMiami/ announces new leadership, artists explore gender and power at the ArtCenter/South Florida, and RACE at the Museum of Science
PAMM launches reading group, Rodman Primack to lead DesignMiami/, "In his Own Likeness" opens at ArtCenter, and the Museum of Science promotes unity
Accessible Art: weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Book club at PAMM
Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) kicks off its new “Reading Art” book discussion group and author talk series on Saturday, Feb. 22 at 11 a.m. to consider the way photography is indexed in the current exhibition with guidance from Geoff Dyer’s "The Ongoing Moment," a book selected by the museum and partner The Miami Rail. A tour of the images led by PAMM associate curator Diana Nawi starts at noon. Participants receive a 10 percent discount at Verde Coffee Bar. Non-members $15; members $5. Registration required and space is limited to 25 people. firstname.lastname@example.org or pamm.org.
Design Miami/ announces executive changes
Design Miami/ owners MCH and Dacra appointed Rodman Primack as director of the fair as Marianne Goebl, who has held the position for the past three years, steps down on March 1. She will continue her relationship with the fair as a member of the board. Primack is known for his work as Chairman of Phillips de Pury & Company in London, director of the Gagosian Gallery in Los Angeles and through his consulting practice, RP Miller. designmiami.com.
Gender and power at ArtCenter
ArtCenter/South Florida’s new exhibition, “In His Own Likeness,” showcases photography, sculpture, painting and video of four Latin American artists who explore gender and its relationship with power and divinity. The artists are from Guatemala, Mexico and Cuba, including ArtCenter resident artist Othón Castañeda, visiting artist Eny Roland with Rocío García and Mario Santizo. On view through March 16 at the Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. artcentersf.org or 305-674-8278.
The Anti-Defamation League of Miami presents a presentation by former white supremacist Angela King at the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science to promote unity through the museum’s RACE cultural program and exhibition on Thursday, Feb. 20 from 6 – 9 p.m. 3280 S. Miami Ave., Miami. $6 per person. miamisci.org or 305-646-4200.
- Art Review: ‘Pastures Green, & Dark Satanic Mills: The British Passion for Landscape’ at the Norton Museum of Art
- Accessible Art: Art and Nature in a Manufactured Era at UM and the impact of WWI on American culture at The Wolfsonian-FIU
- Bakehouse Art Complex introduces Wynwood Green & Art Market, the neighborhood's first farmers market
- Accessible Art: Mexican masterworks featuring Frida Kahlo at NSU Museum of Art and Tameka Norris' 'Recovery' at Emerson Dorsch
- Accessible Art: Chinese artist Xu Bing at Frost Art Museum and Life is Art's mixer for emerging artists and grant makers
- Art Review: Peter Marino ‘One Way’ at Miami Beach’s Bass Museum
- Accessible Art: MDC Museum of Art + Design’s Director’s Previews, Art/Tuesdays hosts 'Galleries Under Fire' panel discussion, and a street and urban art auction
- On view now: Group exhibitions at ICA Miami and Primary Projects
- Accessible Art: Federico Uribe talks business for breakfast and William Sweetlove's animal sculptures come to Miami Ironside
- Accessible Art: Knight Arts Challenge hosts kickoff at Gramps and works by Red Wolf pop up at Kelley Roy Gallery