Accessible Art: Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) kicks off new book club, DesignMiami/ announces new leadership, artists explore gender and power at the ArtCenter/South Florida, and RACE at the Museum of Science
PAMM launches reading group, Rodman Primack to lead DesignMiami/, "In his Own Likeness" opens at ArtCenter, and the Museum of Science promotes unity
Accessible Art: weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Book club at PAMM
Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) kicks off its new “Reading Art” book discussion group and author talk series on Saturday, Feb. 22 at 11 a.m. to consider the way photography is indexed in the current exhibition with guidance from Geoff Dyer’s "The Ongoing Moment," a book selected by the museum and partner The Miami Rail. A tour of the images led by PAMM associate curator Diana Nawi starts at noon. Participants receive a 10 percent discount at Verde Coffee Bar. Non-members $15; members $5. Registration required and space is limited to 25 people. firstname.lastname@example.org or pamm.org.
Design Miami/ announces executive changes
Design Miami/ owners MCH and Dacra appointed Rodman Primack as director of the fair as Marianne Goebl, who has held the position for the past three years, steps down on March 1. She will continue her relationship with the fair as a member of the board. Primack is known for his work as Chairman of Phillips de Pury & Company in London, director of the Gagosian Gallery in Los Angeles and through his consulting practice, RP Miller. designmiami.com.
Gender and power at ArtCenter
ArtCenter/South Florida’s new exhibition, “In His Own Likeness,” showcases photography, sculpture, painting and video of four Latin American artists who explore gender and its relationship with power and divinity. The artists are from Guatemala, Mexico and Cuba, including ArtCenter resident artist Othón Castañeda, visiting artist Eny Roland with Rocío García and Mario Santizo. On view through March 16 at the Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. artcentersf.org or 305-674-8278.
The Anti-Defamation League of Miami presents a presentation by former white supremacist Angela King at the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science to promote unity through the museum’s RACE cultural program and exhibition on Thursday, Feb. 20 from 6 – 9 p.m. 3280 S. Miami Ave., Miami. $6 per person. miamisci.org or 305-646-4200.
- Accessible Art: Tickets for YoungArts Week and Tea and Art History at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale
- Accessible Art: Compelling new works at Emerson Dorsch Gallery and Broward Cultural Division’s major call to artists
- For art aficionados, a new Wynwood emerges to the north
- Accessible Art: Ruth and Marvin Sackner awarded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and Jorge Blanco exhibits at O. Ascanio Gallery in Wynwood
- Artist Daniel Arsham predicts the future at Locust Projects
- Accessible Art: Meetinghouse gallery opens downtown, Curators come together at the Bass Museum, and Seth Browarnik's photography reveals the art of rum-making
- Rediscover 'The Lost Art of Letter Writing' at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Scholl Lecture Series at PAMM welcomes NY artist Gary Simmons and an 'Urban MATERs' anti-gala fundraiser pops up in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Prominent collector Martin Z. Margulies shares photography archives at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and Sebastiao Salgado tackles preservation at Dina Mitrani Gallery in Wynwood
- Buying art is just the first step. You have to make it last.