Accessible Art: Miami Art Museums Alliance hosts ARTtuesdays, learn about Caravaggio at Miami Biennale, see Carrie Sieh at the Bakehouse Art Complex, and bid on Banksy in Wynwood
Chat with museum directors at Books & Books, hear a local art historian's take on Carvaggio, and see a Banksy for the first time at LMNT Studios
Accessible Art: weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Miami Art Museums Alliance (MAMA) hosts the February edition of ARTtuesdays/Miami at Books & Books in Coral Gables, 265 Aragon Ave., Tuesday, Feb. 11 from 6 – 8 p.m. Terry Schechter of MAMA will moderate the group’s discussion about creating a unified voice for Miami’s museums. Panelists: Silvia Karman Cubina, Bass Museum of Art; Brian Dursum, director and chief curator of the Lowe Art Museum; Joel Hoffman, executive director of Vizcaya Museum and Gardens; and, Cathy Leff, director of the Wolfsonian-FIU. Event is free and open to the public with RSVP: email@example.com.
Nonprofit Miami Biennale presents a lecture on Italian Renaissance painter Caravaggio by art historian Armando Droulers, Wednesday, Feb. 12 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. at 3000 N. Miami Ave., Miami. Space is limited and RSVP required: firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-576-2988.
For “YoungArts Miami” (Feb. 12 – 17), approximately 100 YoungArts Winners in the visual, literary, performing and design arts will participate in a week-long intensive, working with masters in their fields. The young artists will present their work through an exhibition (opening reception is Friday, Feb. 14 at 6 p.m.), jazz combo performance and writers’ readings at the YoungArts Campus (Friday, Feb. 14 8 and 10 p.m.), and multi-disciplinary performances at the Gusman Center for the Performing Arts (Saturday, Feb. 15 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 16 at 7 p.m.). Tickets range from free to $10 at youngarts.org/youngarts-miami.
New at the Bakehouse
Opening Friday, Feb. 14: “BACspotlight: Textiles For Men and Machine Breakers,” a solo exhibition by resident artist Carrie Sieh at the Bakehouse Art Complex, 561 NW 32nd St., Miami. Free and on view to the public daily, noon – 5 p.m., Feb. 15 – March 7. Valentine’s Day after-party is Friday from 7 – 10 p.m. Admission is $5. On Thursday, Feb. 20 from 6 – 8 p.m., curator Bernice Steinbaum will discuss Sieh’s unconventional spin on the history of "craftspersonship" and gender in the U.S. with the artist. Free. RSVP to email@example.com. bacfl.org or 305-576-2828.
Street art auction
Fine Art Auctions Miami (FAAM) hosts a five-day street art exhibition in Wynwood with live events and auctions for works by Basquiat, Keith Haring, Banksy, Speedy Graphito and Bambi. Banksy’s infamous “Kissing Coppers” from Brighton will be on view for the first time in a formal setting and up for auction. Price is estimated at $500,000 - $700,000. Exhibition (Feb. 14 – 18) at LMNT Studios, 59 NW 36th St., is open daily from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Guided tours from 2 - 4 p.m. faamiami.com or 305-573-4228.
- Accessible Art: Tickets for YoungArts Week and Tea and Art History at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale
- Accessible Art: Compelling new works at Emerson Dorsch Gallery and Broward Cultural Division’s major call to artists
- For art aficionados, a new Wynwood emerges to the north
- Accessible Art: Ruth and Marvin Sackner awarded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and Jorge Blanco exhibits at O. Ascanio Gallery in Wynwood
- Artist Daniel Arsham predicts the future at Locust Projects
- Accessible Art: Meetinghouse gallery opens downtown, Curators come together at the Bass Museum, and Seth Browarnik's photography reveals the art of rum-making
- Rediscover 'The Lost Art of Letter Writing' at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Scholl Lecture Series at PAMM welcomes NY artist Gary Simmons and an 'Urban MATERs' anti-gala fundraiser pops up in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Prominent collector Martin Z. Margulies shares photography archives at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and Sebastiao Salgado tackles preservation at Dina Mitrani Gallery in Wynwood
- Buying art is just the first step. You have to make it last.