Accessible Art: Miami Art Museums Alliance hosts ARTtuesdays, learn about Caravaggio at Miami Biennale, see Carrie Sieh at the Bakehouse Art Complex, and bid on Banksy in Wynwood
Chat with museum directors at Books & Books, hear a local art historian's take on Carvaggio, and see a Banksy for the first time at LMNT Studios
Accessible Art: weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Miami Art Museums Alliance (MAMA) hosts the February edition of ARTtuesdays/Miami at Books & Books in Coral Gables, 265 Aragon Ave., Tuesday, Feb. 11 from 6 – 8 p.m. Terry Schechter of MAMA will moderate the group’s discussion about creating a unified voice for Miami’s museums. Panelists: Silvia Karman Cubina, Bass Museum of Art; Brian Dursum, director and chief curator of the Lowe Art Museum; Joel Hoffman, executive director of Vizcaya Museum and Gardens; and, Cathy Leff, director of the Wolfsonian-FIU. Event is free and open to the public with RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nonprofit Miami Biennale presents a lecture on Italian Renaissance painter Caravaggio by art historian Armando Droulers, Wednesday, Feb. 12 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. at 3000 N. Miami Ave., Miami. Space is limited and RSVP required: email@example.com or 305-576-2988.
For “YoungArts Miami” (Feb. 12 – 17), approximately 100 YoungArts Winners in the visual, literary, performing and design arts will participate in a week-long intensive, working with masters in their fields. The young artists will present their work through an exhibition (opening reception is Friday, Feb. 14 at 6 p.m.), jazz combo performance and writers’ readings at the YoungArts Campus (Friday, Feb. 14 8 and 10 p.m.), and multi-disciplinary performances at the Gusman Center for the Performing Arts (Saturday, Feb. 15 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 16 at 7 p.m.). Tickets range from free to $10 at youngarts.org/youngarts-miami.
New at the Bakehouse
Opening Friday, Feb. 14: “BACspotlight: Textiles For Men and Machine Breakers,” a solo exhibition by resident artist Carrie Sieh at the Bakehouse Art Complex, 561 NW 32nd St., Miami. Free and on view to the public daily, noon – 5 p.m., Feb. 15 – March 7. Valentine’s Day after-party is Friday from 7 – 10 p.m. Admission is $5. On Thursday, Feb. 20 from 6 – 8 p.m., curator Bernice Steinbaum will discuss Sieh’s unconventional spin on the history of "craftspersonship" and gender in the U.S. with the artist. Free. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. bacfl.org or 305-576-2828.
Street art auction
Fine Art Auctions Miami (FAAM) hosts a five-day street art exhibition in Wynwood with live events and auctions for works by Basquiat, Keith Haring, Banksy, Speedy Graphito and Bambi. Banksy’s infamous “Kissing Coppers” from Brighton will be on view for the first time in a formal setting and up for auction. Price is estimated at $500,000 - $700,000. Exhibition (Feb. 14 – 18) at LMNT Studios, 59 NW 36th St., is open daily from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Guided tours from 2 - 4 p.m. faamiami.com or 305-573-4228.
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Santiago Rubino's solo show at Spinello Projects and Support-A-Scholar Celebration at Wynwood Walls this Saturday
- DWNTWN Art Days promotes arts and culture in Miami this weekend
- Accessible Art: The Bakehouse Art Complex honors local cultural leaders and Product/81 Gallery presents a solo show by street artist Jaz
- Reflections on Hurricane Andrew at 'The Big One: Photographs by Barry Fellman'
- Muse of the Month: Artist Carlos Martiel
- Accessible Art: Autumn Casey's solo show opens at Primary Projects and Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation (CIFO) ushers in international artists
- How the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) helped bring worldwide attention to the Miami art scene
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Alexander Mijares collaborates with Capretto in South Miami and a call-to-action from the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science
- Iconic MiMo gem Vagabond on Biscayne Boulevard reopens after extensive makeover
- Accessible Art: Coral Gables Museum explores bizarre botany with local artists and PAMM unveils site-specific installation by Leonor Antunes