Accessible Art: Jeffrey Noble unveils new paintings at Butter Gallery and the YoungArts Salon Series hosts Justin Peck and Sufjan Stevens
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Jeffrey Noble at Butter Gallery
Butter Gallery presents a new show by local painter Jeffrey Noble with oversized canvases depicting life in Cape Canaveral’s suburban space coast. “Welcome to MarZ” is positioned on the second floor of the gallery in the Gesamtkunstwerk building west of the Wynwood Arts District, 2930 NW 7th Ave., Miami. On view noon – 5 p.m. Tuesday - Friday or by appointment through Aug. 30. 305-303-6254 or buttergallery.com.
Innovative Public Art
Miami-Dade County Art in Public Places was recognized during the Americans for the Arts Conference in Nashville, TN for commissioning some of the most innovative and exciting examples of public art in the country this year. Immersive and large-scale projects by two Miami-based artists were featured in the “Public Art 2014 Year in Review:” Bhakti Baxter’s “Coral Reef City” and Jim Drain’s “The Bollard Project,” both at PortMiami, one of the busiest ports in America with more than four million visitors a year.
YoungArts launches Visual Arts Residency
The National YoungArts Foundation, in partnership with The Related Group, launches a visual arts residency program in Miami this month with artist Suzanne McClelland, who was selected by an esteemed group of advisors including Klaus Biesenbach (Director, MoMA PS1, and Chief Curator at Large, The Museum of Modern Art), Franklin Sirmans (Head of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art), Thom Collins (Director, Perez Art Museum Miami), Agnes Gund (President Emerita, The Museum of Modern Art), and Irving Sandler (Art Writer and Critic). Applications for upcoming residencies will be accepted June 15 – Aug. 15 with a $35 fee at youngarts.submittable.com/submit. For more information, call 305-377-1140.
Also at YoungArts: “The Art of Collaboration,” 6 p.m. Thursday, June 26, on the 7th floor lounge of 2100 Biscayne Blvd. (soon- to-be a Stephen Starr restaurant), fuses the talents of renowned choreographer and NYC Ballet soloist Justin Peck and singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens, as part of the foundation’s Salon Series moderated by Alberto Ibargüen, President and CEO, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Tickets are $35 for general admission, $28 for members, and $20 for students with valid ID. To reserve, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit eventbrite.com.
Business Plans for Artists
Artists and creative entrepreneurs are invited to attend The Business Plan Clinic 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, June 28 at ArtServe, 1350 E. Sunrise Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, to learn how to prepare a business plan and effectively work with lenders to obtain financial support courtesy of the Broward Cultural Division, the Florida Small Business Development Center in Broward, and the South Florida Regional Planning Council. Katerina Wagner, founder and principal of Miami Art Scene, will also present a lecture on Developing a Brand for the Artist. Space is limited for this free clinic and a RSVP is required: 954-357-7463 or patronsecure.com.
Call to Artists
Professional artists residing in Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties are now eligible to submit an application for the mural project associated with Broward County’s centennial celebration: “Broward 100 – Celebrating the Art of Community.” Several artists or artist teams from the tri-county area will be chosen to transform at least nine prominent outdoor locations based on design guidelines from the community. Deadline to apply is July 7 at 11:59 p.m. Respondents to the previous call to artists for the Broward 100 Mural Project need not reapply: email@example.com or broward.org.
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14
- Accessible Art: Pembroke Pines presents 'Caribbean Life' and local artist Pepe Calderin at The Cornell Museum of Art and American Culture