Accessible Art: Provocative paintings by Hernan Bas at the de la Cruz Collection and "Ai Weiwei: The Fake Case" plays at O Cinema Wynwood
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Hernan Bas at de la Cruz
“Portraits of Solitude,” an exhibition of works by Miami-born artist Hernan Bas and London-based Kaye Donachie, explores isolation and individual utopias in the de la Cruz Collection’s project room July 1 - Oct. 11. Open to the public 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Tuesday – Saturday. 23 NE 41st St., Miami; 305-576-6112 or delacruzcollection.org.
Picking up where Alison Klayman’s film “Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry” left off, O Cinema Wynwood presents “Ai Weiwei: The Fake Case,” playing at 5 and 7 p.m. Sunday, June 29 and at 7 p.m. Monday – Thursday. This documentary on the famous artist is more political, reflecting Ai's battle against the Chinese government for human rights and free expression. Tickets are $11, $9.50 for students/seniors (available at the door only), and $7.50 for members. 90 NW 29th St., Miami; 305-571-9970. o-cinema.org.
Miami-based artist and “accidental environmentalist” Gustavo Oviedo hosts an opening reception 7 – 10 p.m. Wednesday, July 2 for “Nothing Goes to Waste,” his solo exhibition at ArtCenter/South Florida’s Project 924, 924 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach. Oviedo creates and recreates using canvases, photography, vinyl, drawings, video and found objects. Many of which are in their second or even third iteration. On view through Aug. 24. Reception is free and open to the public with RSVP on Facebook: www.facebook.com/events/661722143906014/. 305-674-8278 or artcentersf.org.
Contemporary Chinese art
The Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University announced a new series of major international exhibitions titled “3 Giants of Chinese Contemporary Art,” which kicks off this month and runs through May 2015. The works and stylings of three Chinese art icons -- Simon Ma (July 12 – Oct. 19), Wang Qingsong (Nov. 8 – Jan. 18, 2015), and Xu Bing (Feb. 14 – May 24, 2015) – represent a rare comprehensive survey of China’s recent art movement. Each exhibit will be opened with a free reception. 305-348-2890 or thefrost.fiu.edu.
Thursday nights at PAMM
Every Thursday night in July, in conjunction with “Caribbean: Crossroads of the World,” the Pérez Art Museum Miami presents a selection of videos and films challenging the conventional notions of the region for free with museum admission. Dates include July 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 from 7 – 9 p.m. Space is limited. 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; 305-375-3000, firstname.lastname@example.org or pamm.org/caribbeanfilm.
Agustina Woodgate wins statewide art award
The Orlando Museum of Art awarded Miami artist Agustina Woodgate with the first “Florida Prize in Contemporary Art,” a new $20,000 award for artists working in the state. Woodgate was selected over nine nominees in OMA’s current exhibition for her “conceptually engaging and aesthetically seductive” wall hangings made with the “skins” of stuffed animals, according to museum director Glen Gentele, who established the prize. 407-896-4231 or omart.org.
- Accessible Art: Knight Arts Challenge hosts kickoff at Gramps and works by Red Wolf pop up at Kelley Roy Gallery
- 5 reasons why we’re excited about the new Vagabond Restaurant & Bar
- AIRIE in the Garden supports 'Wild Billboards'
- 3 Reasons to put Filmgate Interactive on your radar
- Accessible Art: Play on Simon Vega's sub-tropical social structures at Locust Projects and see stunning photography at the Wolfsonian-FIU
- Accessible Art: Artist Jason Aponte at Cafeina’s Wynwood Exhibition Center and the largest Jade Buddha sculpture comes to Miami
- Philadelphia's prestigious Barnes Foundation recruits Thom Collins of PAMM
- "Will Work for Food:" Miami muralists decorate downtown parking garage for new Whole Foods Market
- Accessible Art: Major exhibition at CIFO explores Abstraction and "Art Collectors Perspectives" series kicks off with Martin Z. Margulies at NSU Museum of Art
- Artists from Miami to Australia transform Wynwood's Jose de Diego Middle School into an outdoor museum