Accessible Art: Free concert by MISO in Collins Park this Sunday, the Lowe Art Museum honors Navajo art from its permanent collection, and Oxenberg Fine Art presents "Transitions"
Celebrate the Bass Museum of Art's 50th anniversary with conductor Eduardo Marturet on Sunday, Jan. 26 at 4 p.m. in South Beach
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Free concert at the Bass
The Miami Symphony Orchestra (MISO), with conductor Eduardo Marturet, celebrates the Bass Museum of Art’s 50th anniversary with a free concert in Collins Park on Sunday, Jan. 26 at 4 p.m. A picnic “bassket” contest will be judged by Louis Aguirre of WSVN’s Deco Drive, Jose Carlos Diaz, curator of the Bass, and Cathy Leff of the Wolfsonian-FIU. Valet parking is $15. Event is free and open to the public. Perrier will be provided for all guests. 2100 Collins Ave. (between 21st & 22nd St.), Miami Beach; bassmuseum.org or 305-673-7530.
Navajo art at the Lowe
“Finished in Beauty: Navajo Weaving from the Permanent Collection” opens at the Lowe Art Museum in Coral Gables Friday, Jan. 24 with 19 examples of blankets from three categories, including the chief blanket, women’s garments, and the sarape. Members’ preview with lecture by Bill Mercer, curator of the concurrent exhibition “Pueblo to Pueblo: The Legacy of Southwest Indian Pottery,” is at 7 p.m. at the Storer Auditorium, University of Miami School of Business, with a reception following at 8 p.m. at the Lowe. Lecture is free for members and University of Miami students; reception is free for members and $10 for non-members. On view until March 23. lowemuseum.org or 305-284-3535.
New exhibit in Wynwood
Oxenberg Fine Art in Wynwood presents “Transitions,” a traveling exhibition with paintings and photography by Victor Matthews and Paolo Nicola Rossini, previously on display at La Biennale di Venezia and the Boca Museum of Art. Exhibition is on view until Feb. 28 at 450 NE 29th St., Miami; oxenbergart.com or 305-854-7104.
- Accessible Art: Tickets for YoungArts Week and Tea and Art History at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale
- Accessible Art: Compelling new works at Emerson Dorsch Gallery and Broward Cultural Division’s major call to artists
- For art aficionados, a new Wynwood emerges to the north
- Accessible Art: Ruth and Marvin Sackner awarded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and Jorge Blanco exhibits at O. Ascanio Gallery in Wynwood
- Artist Daniel Arsham predicts the future at Locust Projects
- Accessible Art: Meetinghouse gallery opens downtown, Curators come together at the Bass Museum, and Seth Browarnik's photography reveals the art of rum-making
- Rediscover 'The Lost Art of Letter Writing' at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Scholl Lecture Series at PAMM welcomes NY artist Gary Simmons and an 'Urban MATERs' anti-gala fundraiser pops up in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Prominent collector Martin Z. Margulies shares photography archives at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and Sebastiao Salgado tackles preservation at Dina Mitrani Gallery in Wynwood
- Buying art is just the first step. You have to make it last.