Accessible Art: The eight painters who made urban scenes cool in the early 20th century at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale, AIRIE Everglades exhibition, Wynwood gallery takeover, and artists wanted for a prestigious MDC + CINTAS fellowship
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale presents a discussion about a group of eight painters in the early 20th century – Robert Henri, William Glackens, George Luks, Everett Shinn, John French Sloan, Arthur B. Davies, Ernest Lawson, and Maurice Prendergast – who upended modernist art by painting urban scenes at 2 p.m. Saturday, May 7 at 1 E. Las Olas Blvd., Dr. Elizabeth Kennedy, Emerita Curator of the Collection for the Terra Foundation for American Art in Chicago. $10 per person includes museum admission; free for NSU students and faculty. Reservations suggested: email@example.com or 954-262-0227.
The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) holds its 10th annual Women on the Rise! program with the third Girls Summit, a two-day conference for teachers, artists, students, counselors and therapists on innovative approaches to education and empowerment for underserved teenage girls through the study of contemporary female artists as positive role models. From 10 a.m. – approximately 7:30 p.m. Friday, May 16 and 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday, May 17 at 770 NE 125th St., North Miami. General admission is $20 per day or $30 for both. Admission for MOCA members, students and educators is $10 per day or $15 for both. Tickets to the Closing Party, featuring Seattle-based R&B hip hop duo THEESatisfaction at 5 p.m. on Saturday, are $20 for non-members and $10 for members, students and educators. mocanomi.org or 305-893-6211.
Aloft in the Everglades
“Flight: Aloft in the Everglades,” an exhibition by Artists in Residence in the Everglades (AIRIE), showcases new works by artists and writers who completed a month-long AIRIE residency at Everglades National Park, including Wendy Call, Lisa Elmaleh, Naomi Fisher, Gustavo Matamoros, Adam Nadel, Trong Nguyen, Rebecca Reeve, Nathaniel Sandler, and Susan Silas. On view through July 6 at ArtCenter/South Florida, Richard Shack Gallery, 800 Lincoln Rd., Miami Beach; airie.org or artcentersf.org.
Miami Dade College (MDC) Museum of Art + Design and the CINTAS Foundation announced the opening of the 50th Jubilee CINTAS Foundation Fellowship Competition for visual arts, architecture, creative writing, and music composition produced by artists of Cuban descent living outside of Cuba. Submissions are due July 1; cintasfoundation.org or contact Jessica Brodsky at 305-237-7722 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
New York-based writer and curator Jarrett Earnest is taking over Gallery Diet in Wynwood from May – July with “Night Tide,” a two-part project featuring artworks, events, and texts celebrating apocalyptic frivolity by his favorite young New York artists. Opening reception for part one is from 6 – 9 p.m. Saturday, May 17 at 174 NW 23 St., Miami; gallerydiet.com or 305-571-2288.
- Accessible Art: Fontainebleau Miami Beach unveils The Frank Sinatra Photo Gallery and photographer Cendino Temé's work is on view at the Black Archives
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14