Accessible Art: Celebrations at Frost Art Museum, Machine Project video screening at PAMM, open call for high school students and MFA candidates at Locust Projects, and sign your kids up for a summer of art in Fort Lauderdale
Frost Art Museum unveils “Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art" and hosts a family day, PAMM presents LA artists, LAB deadline approaches, and NSU Museum announces summer program
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Latin American Art
“Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art” opens Wednesday, April 2 at the Frost Art Museum with a lecture by E. Carmen Ramos, curator of Latino Art at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, from 4 – 6 p.m. Reception with music, cocktails, food, and guided tours will follow from 6 – 9 p.m. Free. FIU campus, 10975 SW 17th St., Miami; thefrost.fiu.edu or 305-348-2890.
LA-based nonprofit Machine Project presents its video made in response to the Miami performances and video documentation of three artists-in-residence at Cannonball in 2013. Screening and discussion, Thursday, April 3 from 7 – 8:30 p.m., is free and open to the public. Pérez Art Museum Miami, 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; pamm.org or 305-375-3000.
Locust Art Builders
Submissions for Locust Projects’ fifth annual LAB (Locust Art Builders) exhibition are due Friday, April 4. The open call is for South Florida High School students to work with established contemporary artists from June 23 – July 11 and mount a public exhibition. Artists currently enrolled in MFA studio art programs at universities in Florida may also apply for a summer solo or collaborative exhibition in the Project Room. locustprojects.org or 305-576-8570.
Summer Art Program
NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale invites students (grades 1 – 12) to participate in the 2014 Scholarship Competition for its AutoNation Academy of Art + Design’s Creative Summer Art Academy. The competition is Saturday, April 26 from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the Academy studios, 4 W. Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale. Pre-registration required: moafl.org/academy. 954-262-0239.
Frost Family Day
Discover the new Kenan-Flagler Family Discovery Gallery during Frost Family Day, Saturday, April 5 from noon – 4 p.m. Features art projects related to the current exhibitions, a variety of media from new-age technologies such as Smart Table, face painting, and performances by The Roxy Theater Group. Frost Art Museum, 10975 SW 17th St., Miami; thefrost.fiu.edu or 305-348-2890
- Accessible Art: New York-based curator Thomas J. Lax unveils new show at Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and FEAST Miami pops up at Emerson Dorsch Gallery for local art projects
- Accessible Art: Miami's own Jillian Mayer to exhibit at La Biennale de Montréal and Cannonball announces open call for local residency program
- Gapingvoid: an art business with a purpose
- Preservationists: Bay Harbor Islands' MiMo architecture in ‘danger'
- Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
- Accessible Art: Craig Robins reveals personal art collection to PAMM Contemporaries and the Downtown Hollywood Mural Project commissions Miami artist Krave
- ArtCenter/South Florida announced plans to sell one of its Lincoln Road sites
- Muse of the Month: Artist Gustavo Oviedo
- Accessible Art: Provocative paintings by Hernan Bas at the de la Cruz Collection and "Ai Weiwei: The Fake Case" plays at O Cinema Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Jeffrey Noble unveils new paintings at Butter Gallery and the YoungArts Salon Series hosts Justin Peck and Sufjan Stevens