Accessible Art: Celebrations at Frost Art Museum, Machine Project video screening at PAMM, open call for high school students and MFA candidates at Locust Projects, and sign your kids up for a summer of art in Fort Lauderdale
Frost Art Museum unveils “Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art" and hosts a family day, PAMM presents LA artists, LAB deadline approaches, and NSU Museum announces summer program
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Latin American Art
“Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art” opens Wednesday, April 2 at the Frost Art Museum with a lecture by E. Carmen Ramos, curator of Latino Art at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, from 4 – 6 p.m. Reception with music, cocktails, food, and guided tours will follow from 6 – 9 p.m. Free. FIU campus, 10975 SW 17th St., Miami; thefrost.fiu.edu or 305-348-2890.
LA-based nonprofit Machine Project presents its video made in response to the Miami performances and video documentation of three artists-in-residence at Cannonball in 2013. Screening and discussion, Thursday, April 3 from 7 – 8:30 p.m., is free and open to the public. Pérez Art Museum Miami, 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; pamm.org or 305-375-3000.
Locust Art Builders
Submissions for Locust Projects’ fifth annual LAB (Locust Art Builders) exhibition are due Friday, April 4. The open call is for South Florida High School students to work with established contemporary artists from June 23 – July 11 and mount a public exhibition. Artists currently enrolled in MFA studio art programs at universities in Florida may also apply for a summer solo or collaborative exhibition in the Project Room. locustprojects.org or 305-576-8570.
Summer Art Program
NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale invites students (grades 1 – 12) to participate in the 2014 Scholarship Competition for its AutoNation Academy of Art + Design’s Creative Summer Art Academy. The competition is Saturday, April 26 from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the Academy studios, 4 W. Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale. Pre-registration required: moafl.org/academy. 954-262-0239.
Frost Family Day
Discover the new Kenan-Flagler Family Discovery Gallery during Frost Family Day, Saturday, April 5 from noon – 4 p.m. Features art projects related to the current exhibitions, a variety of media from new-age technologies such as Smart Table, face painting, and performances by The Roxy Theater Group. Frost Art Museum, 10975 SW 17th St., Miami; thefrost.fiu.edu or 305-348-2890
- Accessible Art: Tickets for YoungArts Week and Tea and Art History at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale
- Accessible Art: Compelling new works at Emerson Dorsch Gallery and Broward Cultural Division’s major call to artists
- For art aficionados, a new Wynwood emerges to the north
- Accessible Art: Ruth and Marvin Sackner awarded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and Jorge Blanco exhibits at O. Ascanio Gallery in Wynwood
- Artist Daniel Arsham predicts the future at Locust Projects
- Accessible Art: Meetinghouse gallery opens downtown, Curators come together at the Bass Museum, and Seth Browarnik's photography reveals the art of rum-making
- Rediscover 'The Lost Art of Letter Writing' at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Scholl Lecture Series at PAMM welcomes NY artist Gary Simmons and an 'Urban MATERs' anti-gala fundraiser pops up in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Prominent collector Martin Z. Margulies shares photography archives at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and Sebastiao Salgado tackles preservation at Dina Mitrani Gallery in Wynwood
- Buying art is just the first step. You have to make it last.