Accessible Art: Author Beth Dunlop surveys 21st century Miami architecture, take a private tour of Tracey Emin's exhibit at MOCA followed by a street art expedition with Brandon Opalka, and famous graffiti artists show in Wynwood
Expert analysis of development in Miami at the Coral Gables Museum, private tours at MOCA and on the streets of Wynwood, and see Maya Hayuk's work at Robert Fontaine Gallery
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Architectural critic and author Beth Dunlop unveils “Marking the Millennium: 21st Century Miami Architecture,” Thursday, March 6 at the Coral Gables Museum (285 Aragon Ave.). The exhibit explores the time when Miami was second only to Dubai in the number of construction cranes on the horizon along with recent development. VIP and members reception at 6pm, followed by First Friday Gallery Night on Friday, March 7. coralgablesmuseum.org or 305-603-8067.
Tour Wynwood with Brandon Opalka
Take a private tour of "Tracey Emin: Angel without You" at the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami, Thursday, March 6 at 4 p.m., followed by a free bus ride to Wynwood to see the neighborhood’s murals with local street artist Brandon Opalka. Free for college students with ID and MOCA members. General admission is $10. 775 NE 125th St., North Miami; mocanomi.org or 305-893-6211.
The NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale presents a lecture by art historian Barbara Buhler Lynes, PhD, Saturday, March 8 at 3 p.m. in conjunction with its current exhibition, William Glackens. The talk, “Desiring an American Modernism: Glackens, The Eight, and the Stieglitz Circle,” is $10 and includes museum admission. 1 East Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale; firstname.lastname@example.org or 954-262-0227.
Group Street Art Exhibit
Robert Fontaine Gallery presents “Insiders,” a survey of works by leading street artists including Banksy, Shepard Fairy, Anthony Lister, RYCA, Maya Hayuk, Retna, and Space Invader. Opening reception, Saturday, March 8 from 6 – 10 p.m. On view through March 28. 2349 NW 2nd Ave., Miami; robertfontainegallery.com or 305-397-8530.
- Accessible Art: Tickets for YoungArts Week and Tea and Art History at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale
- Accessible Art: Compelling new works at Emerson Dorsch Gallery and Broward Cultural Division’s major call to artists
- For art aficionados, a new Wynwood emerges to the north
- Accessible Art: Ruth and Marvin Sackner awarded Ordre des Arts et des Lettres and Jorge Blanco exhibits at O. Ascanio Gallery in Wynwood
- Artist Daniel Arsham predicts the future at Locust Projects
- Accessible Art: Meetinghouse gallery opens downtown, Curators come together at the Bass Museum, and Seth Browarnik's photography reveals the art of rum-making
- Rediscover 'The Lost Art of Letter Writing' at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
- Accessible Art: The Scholl Lecture Series at PAMM welcomes NY artist Gary Simmons and an 'Urban MATERs' anti-gala fundraiser pops up in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Prominent collector Martin Z. Margulies shares photography archives at NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale and Sebastiao Salgado tackles preservation at Dina Mitrani Gallery in Wynwood
- Buying art is just the first step. You have to make it last.