Accessible Art: Author Beth Dunlop surveys 21st century Miami architecture, take a private tour of Tracey Emin's exhibit at MOCA followed by a street art expedition with Brandon Opalka, and famous graffiti artists show in Wynwood
Expert analysis of development in Miami at the Coral Gables Museum, private tours at MOCA and on the streets of Wynwood, and see Maya Hayuk's work at Robert Fontaine Gallery
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Architectural critic and author Beth Dunlop unveils “Marking the Millennium: 21st Century Miami Architecture,” Thursday, March 6 at the Coral Gables Museum (285 Aragon Ave.). The exhibit explores the time when Miami was second only to Dubai in the number of construction cranes on the horizon along with recent development. VIP and members reception at 6pm, followed by First Friday Gallery Night on Friday, March 7. coralgablesmuseum.org or 305-603-8067.
Tour Wynwood with Brandon Opalka
Take a private tour of "Tracey Emin: Angel without You" at the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami, Thursday, March 6 at 4 p.m., followed by a free bus ride to Wynwood to see the neighborhood’s murals with local street artist Brandon Opalka. Free for college students with ID and MOCA members. General admission is $10. 775 NE 125th St., North Miami; mocanomi.org or 305-893-6211.
The NSU Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale presents a lecture by art historian Barbara Buhler Lynes, PhD, Saturday, March 8 at 3 p.m. in conjunction with its current exhibition, William Glackens. The talk, “Desiring an American Modernism: Glackens, The Eight, and the Stieglitz Circle,” is $10 and includes museum admission. 1 East Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale; firstname.lastname@example.org or 954-262-0227.
Group Street Art Exhibit
Robert Fontaine Gallery presents “Insiders,” a survey of works by leading street artists including Banksy, Shepard Fairy, Anthony Lister, RYCA, Maya Hayuk, Retna, and Space Invader. Opening reception, Saturday, March 8 from 6 – 10 p.m. On view through March 28. 2349 NW 2nd Ave., Miami; robertfontainegallery.com or 305-397-8530.
- MOCA Reopens on Thursday
- Accessible Art: Artists wanted for Faena Prize for the Arts and FAU presents “Common Ground: Artists in the Everglades”
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Santiago Rubino's solo show at Spinello Projects and Support-A-Scholar Celebration at Wynwood Walls this Saturday
- DWNTWN Art Days promotes arts and culture in Miami this weekend
- Accessible Art: The Bakehouse Art Complex honors local cultural leaders and Product/81 Gallery presents a solo show by street artist Jaz
- Reflections on Hurricane Andrew at 'The Big One: Photographs by Barry Fellman'
- Muse of the Month: Artist Carlos Martiel
- Accessible Art: Autumn Casey's solo show opens at Primary Projects and Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation (CIFO) ushers in international artists
- How the Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) helped bring worldwide attention to the Miami art scene
- Accessible Art: Miami artist Alexander Mijares collaborates with Capretto in South Miami and a call-to-action from the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science