Accessible Art: Ernesto Kunde unveils solo exhibition at the Bakehouse Art Complex, Berlin-based David Walker shows at Robert Fontaine Gallery, and the Frost Art Museum presents Haitian artist Philippe Dodard
A weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene.
Local artist Ernesto Kunde reveals more than a dozen new large-scale paintings examining mangroves, sea grapes and other native plant life in his solo exhibition, “Symbiotic Promise,” alongside a site-specific installation with mural projection. Opening reception is Friday, May 9 from 7 – 10 p.m. in the intimate Swenson Gallery at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood, 561 NW 32nd St., Miami; on view through June 8. Suggested donation $5 and free for BAC members. bacfl.org or 305-576-2828.
Berlin or Bust
Robert Fontaine Gallery presents London-born, Berlin-based painter David Walker’s first major U.S. solo exhibition, “Swapping Souls with Strangers,” featuring 12 new large-scale portraits. Opening reception is during Wynwood’s Second Saturday Art Walk on May 10 from 5 – 8 p.m. On view through May 31. 2349 NW 2nd Ave., Miami; robertfontainegallery.com or 305-397-8530.
A Tribute to Haiti
Acclaimed Haitian artist Philippe Dodard’s exhibition “Tradition” opens in celebration of Haitian Heritage Month with an opening reception to showcase his sophisticated take on the island’s traditional art. Wednesday, May 7 from 6 – 9 p.m. at the FIU Frost Art Museum, 10975 SW 17th St., Miami; thefrost.fiu.edu or 305.348.2890; free and open to the public. On view through June 29.
Miami On Stage
FUNDarte unveils four new works by Miami artists – all cutting-edge projects in music, dance, film and performance art -- in the “Miami On Stage” series supported by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation’s Knight Arts Challenge from May through September. “Resonances” by contemporary Flamenco guitarist and composer Jose Luis Rodriguez kicks off the series on Thursday, May 8 and Friday, May 9 at 8:30 p.m. at the Miami Dade County Auditorium’s “On.Stage Black.Box Theater,” 2901 W. Flagler St., Miami. Tickets: $20 GA, $15 students (under 18) and seniors (65+) with I.D. $50 VIP tickets are available and include preferred seats, wine or Champagne. ticketmaster.com or 800-745-3000.
Classical Portraits Reinterpreted
Oxenberg Fine Art reopens its doors in a new gallery space at the Emerson Dorsch Building in Wynwood, 153 NW 24th St., Miami, with “Mujeres,” a solo exhibition by Cuban-born artist Maggie Genova-Cordovi, whose monochromatic drawings are made using only Indian ink and a splashes of Cuban coffee. On view through May 30. oxenbergart.com or 305-854-7104.
New World Showcase
New World School of the Arts announces its 2014 BFA showcase titled “et al.” The group exhibition includes a variety of artwork from 20 visual artists. The annual show is known as a catalyst for the careers of many artists who went on to exhibit in the Whitney Biennial (Adler Guerrier, Bert Rodriguez), National Portrait Gallery, and the Kemperer Museum (Michael Vasquez), among other renowned institutions. Open reception is Saturday, May 10 from 7 – 10 p.m. at Cisneros Fontanals Art Foundation (CIFO), 1018 N. Miami Ave., Miami; free and open to the public. nwsabfa2014.com or 305-237-3649. On view through May 25.
Members of the Florida Grand Opera Young Artist Program will perform a repertoire of art songs depicting the various stages of love during the “Mainly Mozart Festival XXI” on Sunday, May 4 at 6 p.m. at the Biltmore Hotel’s Granada Ballroom, 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables. Tickets are $20; mainlymozart.com or 786-556-1715.
- Accessible Art: Jewish Museum of Florida celebrates 20 years with new exhibition and ArtServe presents 'Art = Antidote to Hate' in Fort Lauderdale
- Learn how to sketch at The Wolfsonian-FIU museum in South Beach
- Accessible Art: Celebrate Women's History Month with art in Opa-locka and see new murals by Brazilian artist Rubem Robierb in Fort Lauderdale
- Final formal exhibit at ArtCenter on Miami Beach begins this weekend
- Pérez Art Museum Miami's new monthly party series: 'PAMM Third Thursdays: Poplife Social'
- Accessible Art: Karla Caprali solo show at the Bakehouse in Wynwood and Broward's call to artists for the Dillard Green Space
- Accessible Art: The Art of Patron competition launches and The Wolfsonian hosts an arts and craft beer party
- Art Review: ‘Pastures Green, & Dark Satanic Mills: The British Passion for Landscape’ at the Norton Museum of Art
- Accessible Art: Art and Nature in a Manufactured Era at UM and the impact of WWI on American culture at The Wolfsonian-FIU
- Bakehouse Art Complex introduces Wynwood Green & Art Market, the neighborhood's first farmers market