Accessible Art: University of Miami graduate student Carolyn Kay Chema unveils “Curiosities” in Wynwood, explore PAMM for free on Saturday, see photography by Mary Ellen Mark in Coral Gables, and get tickets for Locust Projects' Spring Fling
UM Art Gallery hosts a reception for Carolyn Kay Chema's new exhibit, Free Second Saturdays at PAMM, Mary Ellen Mark takes over the Leica store, and Locust Projects’ annual fundraiser
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Art + Craft
The Art Directors Club (ADC) 93rd Annual Awards and Festival of Art + Craft in Advertising and Design runs April 7 – 9 in Miami Beach. Workshops by innovative artists, including Miami-based street artist Kaz Williams, will take place at the James Royal Palm Hotel, with nightly award ceremonies at the Bass Museum of Art and New World Center. Tickets: festival.adcawards.org.
University of Miami graduate student Carolyn Kay Chema unveils her MFA thesis exhibition, “Curiosities,” with a preview Thursday, April 10 from 6 – 9 p.m. and an opening reception Saturday, April 12 from 2 – 9 p.m. at the UM Art Gallery at the Wynwood Building, 2750 NW 3rd Ave., Suite 4, Miami. Her collection of digital photomontages accompanied by eclectic objects is on view by appointment only through April 25. as.miami.edu/art or 305-284-3161.
PAMM for free
Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) welcomes guests to Free Second Saturdays presented by Target, April 12 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Hands-on activities for children and adults, guided tours, guest artists and performers will be available from 1 – 4 p.m. 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; pamm.org or 305-375-3000.
Mary Ellen Mark in Coral Gables
Leica Store Miami is showing “Leica, My First Camera,” a retrospective by acclaimed photographer and humanitarian Mary Ellen Mark, whose work over the past four decades has become the benchmark for documentary photography. On view through mid-June. 372 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables; leicastoremiami.com or 305-921-4433.
Spring Fling: La Dolce Vita
Tickets are on sale for Locust Projects’ annual fundraiser, “Spring Fling: La Dolce Vita,” Saturday, April 26 from 7 – 10 p.m. with music by DJ Le Spam at 1111 Lincoln Rd. Parking Garage, 7th floor, Miami Beach. Includes silent art, wine and luxury goods auctions. Tickets are $150 for non-members, $125 for members and $1,000 for 10. locustprojects.org or 305-576-8570.
- Accessible Art: Miami's own Jillian Mayer to exhibit at La Biennale de Montréal and Cannonball announces open call for local residency program
- Gapingvoid: an art business with a purpose
- Preservationists: Bay Harbor Islands' MiMo architecture in ‘danger'
- Accessible Art: São Paulo-based artist Laura Vinci unveils “Untitled" and The Museum of Discovery and Science and the Stranahan House present “The Great South Florida History Mystery Weekend”
- Accessible Art: Craig Robins reveals personal art collection to PAMM Contemporaries and the Downtown Hollywood Mural Project commissions Miami artist Krave
- ArtCenter/South Florida announced plans to sell one of its Lincoln Road sites
- Muse of the Month: Artist Gustavo Oviedo
- Accessible Art: Provocative paintings by Hernan Bas at the de la Cruz Collection and "Ai Weiwei: The Fake Case" plays at O Cinema Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Jeffrey Noble unveils new paintings at Butter Gallery and the YoungArts Salon Series hosts Justin Peck and Sufjan Stevens
- Miami’s YoungArts Foundation launches a visual arts residency program with artist Suzanne McClelland