Accessible Art: University of Miami graduate student Carolyn Kay Chema unveils “Curiosities” in Wynwood, explore PAMM for free on Saturday, see photography by Mary Ellen Mark in Coral Gables, and get tickets for Locust Projects' Spring Fling
UM Art Gallery hosts a reception for Carolyn Kay Chema's new exhibit, Free Second Saturdays at PAMM, Mary Ellen Mark takes over the Leica store, and Locust Projects’ annual fundraiser
Accessible Art: a weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Art + Craft
The Art Directors Club (ADC) 93rd Annual Awards and Festival of Art + Craft in Advertising and Design runs April 7 – 9 in Miami Beach. Workshops by innovative artists, including Miami-based street artist Kaz Williams, will take place at the James Royal Palm Hotel, with nightly award ceremonies at the Bass Museum of Art and New World Center. Tickets: festival.adcawards.org.
University of Miami graduate student Carolyn Kay Chema unveils her MFA thesis exhibition, “Curiosities,” with a preview Thursday, April 10 from 6 – 9 p.m. and an opening reception Saturday, April 12 from 2 – 9 p.m. at the UM Art Gallery at the Wynwood Building, 2750 NW 3rd Ave., Suite 4, Miami. Her collection of digital photomontages accompanied by eclectic objects is on view by appointment only through April 25. as.miami.edu/art or 305-284-3161.
PAMM for free
Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) welcomes guests to Free Second Saturdays presented by Target, April 12 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Hands-on activities for children and adults, guided tours, guest artists and performers will be available from 1 – 4 p.m. 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; pamm.org or 305-375-3000.
Mary Ellen Mark in Coral Gables
Leica Store Miami is showing “Leica, My First Camera,” a retrospective by acclaimed photographer and humanitarian Mary Ellen Mark, whose work over the past four decades has become the benchmark for documentary photography. On view through mid-June. 372 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables; leicastoremiami.com or 305-921-4433.
Spring Fling: La Dolce Vita
Tickets are on sale for Locust Projects’ annual fundraiser, “Spring Fling: La Dolce Vita,” Saturday, April 26 from 7 – 10 p.m. with music by DJ Le Spam at 1111 Lincoln Rd. Parking Garage, 7th floor, Miami Beach. Includes silent art, wine and luxury goods auctions. Tickets are $150 for non-members, $125 for members and $1,000 for 10. locustprojects.org or 305-576-8570.
- Accessible Art: Collabo5 at the Bakehouse Art Complex in Wynwood
- Accessible Art: Bass Museum of Art offers free classes and DEMI's work is on view at Miami International Airport
- Accessible Art: Carlos Betancourt and Alberto Latorre build a sculpture for the new Animal Services Adoption Center and PAMM opens an aviary
- Accessible Art: The Miami Home Design and Remodeling Show announces ambassador artists and Art Basel launches revamped website
- Accessible Art: The MDC Museum of Art + Design unveils Recent Acquisitions + Highlights and The Norton reflects on the Black Panthers
- Artists and writers collaborate to honor history of downtown Miami
- Accessible Art: Beck's Urban Canvas launches in Miami and ICA presents 'Who's Afraid of the Art Market?'
- Accessible Art: 'Recently Acquired' at the Bakehouse Art Complex and ArtCenter/South Florida accepts new residency applications
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Explores the Intersection of Art and Science with Curious Vault Collaborations 002 on July 14
- Accessible Art: Pembroke Pines presents 'Caribbean Life' and local artist Pepe Calderin at The Cornell Museum of Art and American Culture