Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
Art Basel welcomed 75,000 to the Miami Beach Convention Center, Carlos Cruz-Diez discusses his art, and the BAC receives Knight Arts Challenge funding to enhance facilities
Accessible Art: new weekly guide to Miami's art scene
Art Basel Bounce
The 12th edition of Art Basel Miami Beach closed Sunday, Dec. 8 with a strong showing from 258 international galleries from 31 countries and a report of 75,000 attendees over the five show days, a seven percent increase over last year. artbasel.com.
A talk with Carlos Cruz-Diez
Celebrated kinetic and op artist Carlos Cruz-Diez will discuss color in time and space at Miami Biennale on Tuesday, Dec. 10 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. Seating is limited and free. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-576-2988. 2751 N. Miami Ave., Miami; miamibiennale.org.
A million for Best Buddies
The Best Buddies Art + Friendship Auction hosted by Best Buddies International and The Brant Foundation raised nearly $1 million to support the non-profit and its mission to provide opportunities for friendship, employment and leadership development to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The live auction on Tuesday, Dec. 3 at the estate of Sara and Ugo Colombo included works by Rob Pruitt, Julian Schnabel, and Carol Bove. bestbuddies.org.
Liliam Dominguez's Mirror Stage
Cuban-born and Miami-based artist Liliam Dominguez discusses Mirror Stage Thursday, Dec. 12 at 7 p.m. at the Museum of Art + Design, Freedom Tower at Miami Dade College. This exhibition is the second in a series of five presented by the museum and its alumni exhibition series, swing/SPACE/miami. Free and open to the public. 600 Biscayne Blvd., Miami; mdcmoad.org or 305-237-7700.
First public foundry
The Bakehouse Art Complex (BAC) will build the first metal-casting foundry that is open to the South Florida community at its Wynwood facility. This effort is possible through a $50,000 grant given to the non-profit art complex this week by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation’s Knights Arts Challenge initiative. The organization also announced the appointment of its new executive director Marte Siebenhar, formerly of the Children’s Chorus of Washington. bacfl.org or 305-576-2828.
The Consulate General of Japan in Miami is hosting a series of lectures, demonstrations and workshops by professional calligrapher Sisyu and Kogei bamboo artist Tanabe Shochiku at Kontempo Art Gallery and Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens on Saturday, Dec. 14 from 11 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 15 from 12:30 – 5 p.m. Kontempo Art Gallery, 1646 SW 8th St., Miami; free admission with RSVP to 786-214-1210 by Dec. 12. Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens, 4000 Morikami Park Rd., Delray Beach. Email for info: email@example.com.
- Art work donated to FIU by Jorge Pérez may be forgery
- Cindy Crawford pays visit to Art Miami for debut of work in her likeness
- FAILE Brings Their Interactive Deluxx Fluxx Arcade Installation to South Beach
- De Nolet festival brings together performance art, music and Ketel One cocktails
- Wynwood-based Spinello Projects unveils exhibit in Art Basel's competitive Nova sector
- Miami muralist Krave leads team of artists to spotlight Wynwood Central during Art Basel
- KIND hosts community mural project
- Art Basel opens this week in an increasingly cultured city
- Accessible Art: Arsht Center exhibit fuses fashion and art, a call for artists at Segafredo, and the Wolfsonian-FIU presents Rebirth of Rome
- LA artist Kenton Parker elevates the 'selfie' with solo exhibition at Primary Projects for Art Basel