Morris Lapidus' South Beach
See South Beach through the eyes of Morris Lapidus, the architect behind Miami Beach's revival.
A Quest for Emotion and Motion in Architecture; Morris Lapidus’ historic photographs, works and designs
May 21-July 18
ArtCenter/South Florida, 800 Lincoln Road at Meridian Ave., Miami Beach; 305-674-8278 or www.artcentersf.org
If you are not a Miami native you may have never heard of Morris Lapidus. Well, even locals might be sketchy on the name, but suffice it to say you have enjoy the fruits of his labor every time you head to South Beach. Known as the man behind Miami Beach's dramatic revival in the Golden years, Morris Lapidus' signature projects include the Fontainebleau, Eden Roc and the Dilido hotel (now Ritz-Carlton South Beach) and he is the architect who converted Lincoln Road into the hopping pedestrian mall that we all know and love. His last architectural project was the renovation of the Colony Theater in 1983, yet he participated, pro-bono, in the Revitalization of South Beach in 1988 with Stanley Levine, Ben Wood and Ellie Sneiderman.
As Lincoln Road turns 50 years, ArtCenter/South Florida presents A Quest for Emotion and Motion in Architecture - a retrospective of architect Morris Lapidus’ historic photographs, works and designs. This is a chance to see a piece of Miami Beach's history in photographs and experience Lapidus' life's work in a visually intriguing and historically significant exhibition.
The exhibit is curated by architect/author, Deborah Desilets, last associate of Morris Lapidus and ArtCenter/South Florida's Director of Exhibitions, Jacquenette Arnette. The exhibit runs through July 18 and is free and open to the public. ArtCenter/South Florida is open Monday-Thursday from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. and Friday-Sunday from 11 a.m. until 11 p.m.
ArtCenter/South Florida 800 Lincoln Road at Meridian Ave., Miami Beach; 305-674-8278 or www.artcentersf.org
See and Do
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13
- Colombian mangoes will be the star at this weekend’s Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Dennis Miller performs Sunday with Dana Carvey at Seminole Hard Rock
- Free movies, camp, crafts & Munchkin Fun's top picks for your post-holiday week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 4-6
- Fireworks, festivals, parades & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week