A Fork on the Road: Yellow Green Farmers Market
Forage & feast at the Yellow Green farmers market in Hollywood
With more than 300 booths in a 100,000-square-foot, covered, open-air space, the Yellow Green Farmers Market in Hollywood offers everything from beets to banh mi subs. Weekend shoppers come for seasonal fruit, Indian vegetables (snake gourds, baby eggplants, long yard beans), herbs, spices, teas, raw honey, fresh mozzarella, Amish butter, infused olive oils, crafts and more.
On a recent Saturday, I met Ariel Garcia (954-708-0661) near the entrance at New Earth Seafood (booth 310), where his fresh catch was displayed on ice - mackerel, snapper (yellowtail, mutton, and hog) and spiny lobster. Pickle "D" licious is a large wagon in the center of the market (booth 343) where Chris Matera and Harold Pitts (772-708-6806) sell their preservative-free half sours, New York dills, garlic sours, hot and spicy dill spears and sweet-spicy chips plus pickled beets and carrots and herb-marinated olives.
Karina Rizzo (305-519-6908) offers sandwiches with homemade antipasti, daily pasta specials and bottled sauces based on Nonna's recipes at Bite Around the Corner (No. 23). Try the sandwich with grilled and marinated zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes and Asiago cheese or meatballs with sauce on a roll. Israeli-born Sapir Rom (954-839-0761) studied at the Cordon Bleu in Paris and is at the helm of European Pastries (booth 137). Petite, French-style macaroons sandwiched with butter cream come in flavors like chocolate, raspberry, mocha and pistachio. Rom also has muffins and panini sandwiches. With a café and barbecue spot out back, this is a smorgasbord under one roof.
Yellow Green Farmers Market
1940 N. 30th Rd, Hollywood (off Taft Street just west of I-95)
Hours: 8am-4pm Saturday and Sunday
Prices: Seafood $2.50-$8.95 a pound, pickles $5 a quart, Rizzo sandwiches and specials $3.95-$6, European pastries $1.50- $2.25, panini $4-$4.50
- Where to eat great food, drink great wine and beer — and raise money
- This North Miami Beach spot is for laid back Mediterranean-Spanish tapas
- Why the Hungry Black Man makes juice bar his pick of the week
- What this 'hungry black man' did after a 'dining while black' experience
- Yelp gives the score on Miami's best game day chicken wings
- 5 dining options at Hard Rock Stadium
- Bahama Breeze and Uber team up for Rumbash this Friday
- Eat among the art at South Beach's Canvas
- Taste Chinese, Mexican and Japanese in one bite — for one night only
- A vegetarian gastropub? It's coming to (where else?) South Beach