A Fork on the Road: Tyrannosaurus-Mex
Tyrannosaurus-Mex reinvents Tex-Mex on SoBe
235 14th St, Miami Beach
Hours: 11am-5am Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 11am-6am Friday and Saturday
Prices: Tacos $2.75-$6.25, burritos $4.95-$10.25, quesadillas $4.50-$4.75
Chuck and Lisa Bergwin have reinvented their Tex-Mex place, an Anthony Bourdain favorite for tacos when he's in town. The old San Loco is now Tyrannosaurus-Mex. Fans can still get monster burritos, macho nachos and taco burgers, but items like tofu tacos and veggie enchiladas offer healthier options.
Lisa grew up in Philadelphia and attended New York University. Chuck was raised on Army bases around the world by his Puerto Rican mother and Swedish father. After graduating from Florida State University, he worked as an actor, bartender and line cook in New York, where the two met in a TriBeCa bar. Their new menu offers mushroom quesadillas and a Southwest salad of black beans, corn, guacamole and pico de gallo tossed in honey-lime dressing. Specialties include killer quesadillas (with Cheddar cheese and hot sauce), carnitas and the guaco loco, a crispy taco wrapped in a soft tortilla with guacamole.
Fill your tacos with fried tofu, seasoned ground beef, pulled chicken, beans and rice or fried fish. Salads overflow crispy tortilla bowls, and house-made sauces come in mild, hot, serious and sinus-clearing "stupid." Takeout is now tucked into eco-friendly bio packs.
Beer or a bottled margarita hits the spot here. End with a crunchy flour tortilla dusted in cinnamon sugar spread with candied apples and crushed red hots.
- The List: Corsair's Scott Conant
- Jean-Georges turns to Latino cooking at new Matador Room in Miami Beach
- New Year's beer: Anderson Valley Blood Orange Gose
- Armadillo Cafe to open in Boca Raton
- Hoffman's Chocolates engineers sweet treats for the holidays
- Chef changes at Verde, Steak 954, Makoto
- The List: Casa D'Angelo's Angelo Elia
- Michelle Bernstein's Seagrape serves upscale elegance in new Thompson Hotel
- Miami restaurant review: Is Iron Chef Morimoto up to the South Beach challenge?
- South Beach openings: Soho Bay, David's Cafe, a new Dewey's, Bodega, Chicken Kitchen, La Savina